Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase promotional balance transfer checks

tag
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

Re: Chase promotional balance transfer checks

I got this offer today and plan on taking advantage of it. I get the "no grace period" of new purchases, but the solution is simple, don't purchase, or carry any balance, with the card until the promotion is over. Borrowing $15k for 14 mos. for $300 sounds too good to pass up when all one has to do is deposit a check.

The market is on an upswing, could buy PG, PEP, F, or some other high dividend paying stock. Just have to beat that 2% penalty to earn free money.  Smiley Happy 

Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your question is very similar to the one posted in the thread here where I replied: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Chase-Interest-question/td-p/4493025

Here's what I posted there:

@Anonymous wrote:
With your Freedom, you can activate the Blueprint Full Pay feature. If you do this, charges you make (purchases) in the ACTIVATED Blueprint categories you choose will not accrue interest any interest if you pay them in full by the due date on the first statement they appear on even if you are carrying a balance (purchase, transfer, or otherwise). You will have a new "Blueprint Payment Due" amount every statement that includes your total Blueprint Full Pay charges and your minimum payment due for the rest of your account balance. Paying the Blueprint Payment Due will satisfy your minimum payment requirement.

I know this because I ran into the same issue with a BT on my Freedom. In my case, multiple reps told me no interest would be charged on purchases if I pay them by due date (just like you thought as well). When that didn't happen, a supervisor reviewed the tapes, credited the interest charges due to their error in explanation, and explained this Blueprint feature. I then used the feature with no issues for months.

Let me know if you have any questions!

NRB525 then replied that Blueprint is also on his Slate card:

@NRB525 wrote:

^This.

I have a long term BT on my Slate card, was nosing around the Blueprint option, and set that up to go along with my auto payment of the minimum payment. Did some small charges, let the calculated Blueprint payment autopsy, and no interest cost.

You can set up the Minimum Payment along with Full Pay to catch the new charges automatically, then pay extra for the faster rate you want to pay down the BT, or set up a Finish It component to your Blueprint trifecta to just let the autopay handle everything for you.

And in my experience, B of A is also possible to get in front of new charges, by paying them soon after they post, to avoid interest cost when carrying a BT.

US Bank, however, charges their minimum $2 interest, and that kept triggering a new $2 minimum until I called to get it shut off.

If the Blueprint feature is available on the CSP, that is how you avoid interest charges on new purchases if you are carrying an existing balance on your card.

Message 22 of 24
4u

Hello
I used bt checks from chase too it's tricky how they word new purchase interest my advice if you can only have your promotional 0% on your card don't use it for new purchases
Message 23 of 24
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I'm slightly confused. Since my FU is 0% int for both BT & purchases for 15 billing cycles, shouldn't I be able to do both without incurring interest during that period?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.