Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase pulls HP every year ????

tag
audia4
Established Contributor

Chase pulls HP every year ????

I have a Chase Freedom and I just recently noticed a HP come up on the Equifax report. Once checking into it, I see that Chase has been doing a HP every year in September. I'm not asking for this of course. I want to ask can they actually do this without your permission or letting you know or requesting it? I'm sure the answer is probably they can do whatever they want if you are their customer and they are extending credit to you. But still....this is BS!  Why can't they do SP's like every other card I have out there?

Just venting I guess. Smiley Mad

TU: 819 EQ: 821 EX 811

**$7500****$30,000*****$13500****$42,200****$10,000***$10,700*****$6000****$11,000*****OPEN****OPEN******$27,000*****11,000

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase pulls HP every year ????

Can't be right. I've had chase for years and have never seen this.
Message 2 of 27
audia4
Established Contributor

I thought it was weird too...but I have not applied for any cards for about a year (and definitely not a chase) nor do I EVER ask for a credit line increase with Chase because it's a hard pull. But yet, there it is on my credit report as a HP with Chase (and it's the ONLY Chase I have) every year in September. I don't bank with Chase either.

**$7500****$30,000*****$13500****$42,200****$10,000***$10,700*****$6000****$11,000*****OPEN****OPEN******$27,000*****11,000

Message 3 of 27
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@audia4 wrote:

I thought it was weird too...but I have not applied for any cards for about a year (and definitely not a chase) nor do I EVER ask for a credit line increase with Chase because it's a hard pull. But yet, there it is on my credit report as a HP with Chase (and it's the ONLY Chase I have) every year in September. I don't bank with Chase either.

What service are you using to view this HP? Credit Karma and similar services can be wonky at times.

Message 4 of 27
jsucool76
Super Contributor

+1 to imbrad

CreditKarma has sometimes shown me things that pulling my reports from annualcreditreport or from the bureaus directly did not show.

If you're using a third party service, I would suggest checking the reports from the source. If the inquiries appear there as well, I would be on the phone with chase asking for an explanation.
Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Typically this is not normal, however, chase, BofA and Barclays do this if your score is low or if you are over utilized. I at times over utilize my cards, 50-70% and get a call from the bank saying they need to pull my credit report to ensure safety, I say go ahead and soft pull, and that's all I allow. Get in the habit of freezing & unfreezing your credit reports. Nobody is doing a hard pull on my credit without my permission, ever
Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

And btw, credit karma is a bad monitoring site. Go to truecredit, Equifax or Experian.com only
Message 7 of 27
audia4
Established Contributor

@ibmrad7 wrote:

What service are you using to view this HP? Credit Karma and similar services can be wonky at times.

Yes, I'm looking at Karma but I have always found their information to match exactly to my actual credit report (with the exception of the score of course). 

I just wonder why this is happening.

Message 8 of 27
audia4
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Typically this is not normal, however, chase, BofA and Barclays do this if your score is low or if you are over utilized. I at times over utilize my cards, 50-70% and get a call from the bank saying they need to pull my credit report to ensure safety, I say go ahead and soft pull, and that's all I allow. Get in the habit of freezing & unfreezing your credit reports. Nobody is doing a hard pull on my credit without my permission, ever

This options you listed above would not apply to me. I have no baddies, EXCELLENT scores, no over utilized accounts. I pay every cc in full each time (before they are due) and only have 1 card that is running a balance of 4k (and only because there's NO interest until next year and we made a special buy with it because of that). So, if you look at my total credit limit for all cards combined....roughtly $130k for personal cards and only owe $4k total, I'm roughly at 3% of utilization.

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Simple solution, freeze all three
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.