Chase question for my brother

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase question for my brother

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is my current profile of cards with balance/credit limit ratio...

Venture-  $550/$10k

NFCU Cash Rewards- $1,000/$12K

QS- $0/$6,300

FNBO Platinum Visa- $0/$3,000

Barclay's Rewards MC- $75/$1,900

Walmart Store Card- $360/$10K

Also AU on these...

Bestbuy Store Card-  $0/$7,500

Venture One- $0/$10k

Cap1 Platinum- $0/$5k

A few of the cards like the FNBO card and Barclay's card were starters to basically start building with.  Same goes for the Walmart store card as I wanted to have a store card for the mix.

Credit scores are EQ- 686, TU- 747, EXP- 759.  Transunion and Experian are clean with nothing bad. Never any lates etc etc.  Only EQ has my 1 and only collection but I was told they would delete it early if I call back in March as it is set to fall off in April anyways.   It already fell off TU and EXP months ago which is why my scores are much higher with them.

AAOA is basically 3-4 years which i know is low.  The AU cards all had balances on them but my brother paid them all in full so I'm not sure if I will see a score increase at the end of the month after those zeros post or not (since im just an AU)    Would be nice though!

Thanks for providing this info which allows us to provide some direction.  BTW, keep the AU cards as is, since your brother just recently PIF so there is bound to be some scoring updates as soon as CRs reflect the updates.

Seems like you handle your accounts well and utilization is not a factor.  How long have you had your FNBO card?  Is it a secured one or not?  When was the last time you used it?  The reason I ask is b/c you can call to see if your account has any pre-approved (SP) CLI offers (only can do it by phone to avoid HP) and if so, this can provide a little more wiggle room for usage - just a sidebar on that one.

Now, Chase can be lovely with either a single HP pull or a double pull.  It can be a mix of EX and TU or EX and EQ (not sure I've seen TU and EQ) but anything is possible I suppose.  What I would do is wait to see when that collection account is removed on EQ so you can at least have a chance on one of their co-branded cards without the CO blemish holding things up.  Maybe someone can chime in on how to best handle getting rid of that sooner on EQ.

Of the co-branded cards you mentioned, which would you think you can get the best usage out of?  You can apply for a couple but for SWA or United, best to see if you have any targeted offers for the 50K points promotions.

Yea I have been able to manage them well as I started learning a lot from this site and also my brother who has always had good scores.

Yea I told him about letting them report with the $0 balance as it would help him for sure and possibly me.   I wasn't sure the effect since I was just AU but figured def something since it's utilization.

The FNBO card started at $1k as I got the preapproved mailer in and decided to get the card as an IN with FNBO.   I did the SP CLI thing 2 months ago and they bumped it to 3K. I rarely use the card as it's nothing special but figured it may help me get other cards through FNBO later on.

Yea I hate seeing the collection on my EQ and I have tried to get them to delete multiple times. It was literally from my FIRST credit card in my life lol and I've learned since then.  Can't wait to have it off next month so all reports can be clean and hopefully EQ has no problem climbing in the 700+ range lol.

I'll admit that having the collection still on EQ has made me cautious about applying for stuff especially someone like Chase.

Besides getting the Marriott and Ritz mailers, I have gotten the United Mileage offer in but it didn't say preapproved.  It was an invitation and I can't remember the signup bonus on it but can check it tomorrow.  I also have gotten Discover IT invitations since 2016 arrived including a purple mailer a few days ago regarding the DiscoverIT.  Not a preapproval though but had an invitation code as well. I figured it was regular spam stuff.

As far as the cobranded cards go, I'm really not sure which ones yet. I'd def like to add a few of them especially if I could get a few of them with 1 pull or something. Just off the top of my head I know I could make use of the Marriott and SW card simply because of work.

Awesome!  Sounds like you've done your homework with FNBO and you're on the right path with growing the card + possibly qualify for some of their other CCs. 

Typically, in Chase's algorithms, they can exclude AU accounts; but that being said, the scores will definitely be a plus since those AU accounts are still helping with your overall profile. 

I'm sure it's just a matter of time with EQ and the collection account being deleted.  Once it's gone you are golden!  Now, since you expressed some interest with the Marriott program, below is a very helpful thread that jsucool76 put together explaining the rewards stucture for Marriott & Ritz in more detail.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Comprehensive-Guide-to-Marriott-Ritz-Carlton-Rewards-and-Their/td-p/4100403

Oh, and yes, it is possible to get 1 HP for two Chase CCs (if applied at the same time).  While this can be a YEMV situation, it's worked for me and others as well.

Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Venture-  $550/$10k

QS- $0/$6,300

Also AU on these...

Venture One- $0/$10k

Cap1 Platinum- $0/$5k

A few of the cards like the FNBO card and Barclay's card were starters to basically start building with.  Same goes for the Walmart store card as I wanted to have a store card for the mix.

Credit scores are EQ- 686, TU- 747, EXP- 759.  Transunion and Experian are clean with nothing bad. Never any lates etc etc.  Only EQ has my 1 and only collection but I was told they would delete it early if I call back in March as it is set to fall off in April anyways.   It already fell off TU and EXP months ago which is why my scores are much higher with them.

AAOA is basically 3-4 years which i know is low.  The AU cards all had balances on them but my brother paid them all in full so I'm not sure if I will see a score increase at the end of the month after those zeros post or not (since im just an AU)    Would be nice though!

Thanks for providing this info which allows us to provide some direction.  BTW, keep the AU cards as is, since your brother just recently PIF so there is bound to be some scoring updates as soon as CRs reflect the updates.

Seems like you handle your accounts well and utilization is not a factor.  How long have you had your FNBO card?  Is it a secured one or not?  When was the last time you used it?  The reason I ask is b/c you can call to see if your account has any pre-approved (SP) CLI offers (only can do it by phone to avoid HP) and if so, this can provide a little more wiggle room for usage - just a sidebar on that one.

Now, Chase can be lovely with either a single HP pull or a double pull.  It can be a mix of EX and TU or EX and EQ (not sure I've seen TU and EQ) but anything is possible I suppose.  What I would do is wait to see when that collection account is removed on EQ so you can at least have a chance on one of their co-branded cards without the CO blemish holding things up.  Maybe someone can chime in on how to best handle getting rid of that sooner on EQ.

Of the co-branded cards you mentioned, which would you think you can get the best usage out of?  You can apply for a couple but for SWA or United, best to see if you have any targeted offers for the 50K points promotions.

Yea I have been able to manage them well as I started learning a lot from this site and also my brother who has always had good scores.

Yea I told him about letting them report with the $0 balance as it would help him for sure and possibly me.   I wasn't sure the effect since I was just AU but figured def something since it's utilization.

The FNBO card started at $1k as I got the preapproved mailer in and decided to get the card as an IN with FNBO.   I did the SP CLI thing 2 months ago and they bumped it to 3K. I rarely use the card as it's nothing special but figured it may help me get other cards through FNBO later on.

Yea I hate seeing the collection on my EQ and I have tried to get them to delete multiple times. It was literally from my FIRST credit card in my life lol and I've learned since then.  Can't wait to have it off next month so all reports can be clean and hopefully EQ has no problem climbing in the 700+ range lol.

I'll admit that having the collection still on EQ has made me cautious about applying for stuff especially someone like Chase.

Besides getting the Marriott and Ritz mailers, I have gotten the United Mileage offer in but it didn't say preapproved.  It was an invitation and I can't remember the signup bonus on it but can check it tomorrow.  I also have gotten Discover IT invitations since 2016 arrived including a purple mailer a few days ago regarding the DiscoverIT.  Not a preapproval though but had an invitation code as well. I figured it was regular spam stuff.

As far as the cobranded cards go, I'm really not sure which ones yet. I'd def like to add a few of them especially if I could get a few of them with 1 pull or something. Just off the top of my head I know I could make use of the Marriott and SW card simply because of work.

Awesome!  Sounds like you've done your homework with FNBO and you're on the right path with growing the card + possibly qualify for some of their other CCs. 

Typically, in Chase's algorithms, they can exclude AU accounts; but that being said, the scores will definitely be a plus since those AU accounts are still helping with your overall profile. 

I'm sure it's just a matter of time with EQ and the collection account being deleted.  Once it's gone you are golden!  Now, since you expressed some interest with the Marriott program, below is a very helpful thread that jsucool76 put together explaining the rewards stucture for Marriott & Ritz in more detail.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Comprehensive-Guide-to-Marriott-Ritz-Carlton-Rewards-and-Their/td-p/4100403

Oh, and yes, it is possible to get 1 HP for two Chase CCs (if applied at the same time).  While this can be a YEMV situation, it's worked for me and others as well.

Sounds great man!   I appreciate all of the info and helping with the question for my brother. I will def take a look at the link and read up on the cards.

I'm def calling March 1st to see about EQ hooking me up.  If that happens, I will def be excited.  

Until then, I'll continue some research on what I'm interested in getting and the best plan of attack!

Thanks again!

Message 22 of 24
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Venture-  $550/$10k

QS- $0/$6,300

Also AU on these...

Venture One- $0/$10k

Cap1 Platinum- $0/$5k

Sounds great man!   I appreciate all of the info and helping with the question for my brother. I will def take a look at the link and read up on the cards.

I'm def calling March 1st to see about EQ hooking me up.  If that happens, I will def be excited.  

Until then, I'll continue some research on what I'm interested in getting and the best plan of attack!

Thanks again!

Anytime Vandy. 

Also, let us know the outcome (or if you have any other questions) so that it helps other members who may have similar situations.  Plus, it would serve as a great data point whenever you decide to take the plunge on your co-branded card apps.  March is just around the corner Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a data point, I was able to get a CLI within a week or so after opening my CSP. It was my first card with Chase and came without another HP.

If I were to do something like that with Chase again, I would ask for the CLI soon after the app. YMMV

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.