Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase "Trifecta" - How does this work?

tag
Jansroom726
Regular Contributor

Chase "Trifecta" - How does this work?

Hello all. Can someone please explain this Chase Trifecta - and how it works?

I am currently a Chase Checking / Savings / and Auto loan member...

I'm interested in the Freedom and eventually the CSP card.

I heard you get 10pts extra each transaction, +10% points for using your freedom card, and something else having to do with the CSP card?

I'm a little confused, and cant seem to find an easy explanation.

Also, is this still current and offered to new Chase CC members?

Thanks!

25 years old. Scores around 740. Income = 45K. Chase Car Loan @ 2.4%, AAOA = 2 years. Total Personal CL = 120k.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Chase "Trifecta" - How does this work?

@Jansroom726 wrote:

Hello all. Can someone please explain this Chase Trifecta - and how it works?

I am currently a Chase Checking / Savings / and Auto loan member...

I'm interested in the Freedom and eventually the CSP card.

I heard you get 10pts extra each transaction, +10% points for using your freedom card, and something else having to do with the CSP card?

I'm a little confused, and cant seem to find an easy explanation.

Also, is this still current and offered to new Chase CC members?

Thanks!

Not for new members and not for old ones for much longer (most have switched).

There was nothing special with the CSP, just the Freedom.   The new scheme is an annual bonus of 10% on ALL points earned with the freedom (so including the 5x points and not just the base, as was the case with the old scheme).   This may be better for some, but those who made lotsof small transactions to get the 10 points are worse off.

Message 2 of 11
bribro
Valued Contributor

The trifeca is Chase Checking + Freedom + CSP. By having Chase checking and a Freedom card, you get the 10% annual bonus on all points earned with Freedom. CSP comes into play because you can transfer points earned from Freedom to CSP, and from there to travel partners (you can't do this with a Freedom card alone).

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 3 of 11
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@bribro wrote:

The trifeca is Chase Checking + Freedom + CSP. By having Chase checking and a Freedom card, you get the 10% annual bonus on all points earned with Freedom. CSP comes into play because you can transfer points earned from Freedom to CSP, and from there to travel partners (you can't do this with a Freedom card alone).

Does a Chase Business Checking account count, or does it have to be a personal account...thanks?

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 4 of 11
john398
Senior Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@bribro wrote:

Does a Chase Business Checking account count, or does it have to be a personal account...thanks?

Chase is no longer doing the bonus with checking

Message 5 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@john398 wrote:

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@bribro wrote:

Chase is no longer doing the bonus with checking

?  Still on the web page:

Chase Exclusives® Bonus 
You will earn an additional 10% Bonus on all new points earned with your Chase Freedom card during billing cycles within the previous Year when you, as the primary cardmember, were the sole or joint owner of an open Chase checking account. Your 10% Bonus is calculated after your billing cycle with a December closing date 

Message 6 of 11
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

It was on my freedom paperwork from signing up this month too. AFAIK, the points per transaction bonus has been discontinued, but the 10% on points earned at the end of the year is still ongoing.

Message 7 of 11
john398
Senior Contributor

@msf12555 wrote:

It was on my freedom paperwork from signing up this month too. AFAIK, the points per transaction bonus has been discontinued, but the 10% on points earned at the end of the year is still ongoing.

oh good to know I guess I am wrong

Message 8 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@john398 wrote:

@msf12555 wrote:

Yes, as said earlier, there was an old program (10% on base + 10 points per transaction) that has gone (for most/all, meant to end by the end of this year).

This has been replaced by the new program which is 10% on all points earned with the freedom, including the 5% points.

Including the 5% points in the bonus calculation makes this better for some, who do relatively few transactions, mainly in the 5% categories.   And even then, not huge since the max 5% is 30K UR per year, 10% is 3000, with a cashback value of $30.  (And yes, shouldn't use them for cashback!)

Those who bought lots of small things with the Freedom will probably be worse off, but there isn't a choice!

Message 9 of 11
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@john398 wrote:

@msf12555 wrote:

Yes, as said earlier, there was an old program (10% on base + 10 points per transaction) that has gone (for most/all, meant to end by the end of this year).

This has been replaced by the new program which is 10% on all points earned with the freedom, including the 5% points.

Including the 5% points in the bonus calculation makes this better for some, who do relatively few transactions, mainly in the 5% categories.   And even then, not huge since the max 5% is 30K UR per year, 10% is 3000, with a cashback value of $30.  (And yes, shouldn't use them for cashback!)

Those who bought lots of small things with the Freedom will probably be worse off, but there isn't a choice!

Good info...but my question got lost in the shuffle...LOL...does a Business Account count or only a personal?

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.