Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase reduced wrong credit line

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Chase reduced wrong credit line

So I look at my chase account tonight and Chase reduced my freedom credit line from 3.7k to 1k. I'm just pissed. I am not carrying any balances with Chase. I just made a couple of large PIF payments and I closed the hyatt card recently. When I closed the hyatt card they asked me if I wanted to move some credit over so I moved as much as I could which was only like 2k from the hyatt to my CSR (this was all done on the phone and the rep was the one who brought up the idea of moving some of the credit line over). Then I closed the hyatt card and gave back 11k in credit. This pisses me off because it is the old freedom card with the roating category and sometime quarters I spend more than 1k on that card. This really leaves a bad taste in my mouth with Chase. There is nothing negative showing in my reports and my score is arouns 810. Seriously chase? I have three recent inquiries. One was the CSR, one was an amex business card and the other one I just got tonight was a new citi hilton reserve card. What options do I have with recon? I don't really want to keep a 1k card but its the old version of the freedom and one of my oldest open accounts and it has no AF. This makes me think I should never agree to let Chase move my credit lines again. Has anyone had luck getting their credit line reinstated without a HP? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 76
75 REPLIES 75
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase AA

What the heck?  Call them and see what's going on. Politely ask them if they can reinstate your limits. If it's a fresh CLI request, I would pass. I tried once, got hit with 3 HP's (2 EX - 1 TU) and was denied.

Oh boy, this is a new turn. What's your exposure with them and total CC limits elsewhere? Are you a profitable customer? I've done a decent churn over the years with Chase, moving limits, closing cards, etc, and mine are intact tonight (only 27k exposure).

Maybe they needed to reduce your exposure with the newer CSR approval? GL and keep us posted

Message 2 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dang! definitely call and ask for reinstatement, I am sitting at close to 40 INQs average and scores similar to yours and they haven't done anything but raise my limits, granted I spend heavily across my chase cards. 

Message 3 of 76
elim
Senior Contributor

Did you call or SM for the reallocation/closure

Message 4 of 76
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Is it just me or is Chase really touchy about moving limits recently?

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 5 of 76
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

I think going forward people should avoid moving limits with Chase if they have ANY inquiries in the last 12mo.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 6 of 76
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear about your AA. As with some lenders, it's not only about how you handle their cards but also your other cards with other lenders. Without getting all of the details regarding your profile, I suspect Chase did an AR and may have seen something in your profile that spooked them. The 2 reasons that come to mind is high utilization on other cards (80% or above and not paying down the balance over time) or you've opened a bunch of new account in short order. From your post, you don't have a bunch of new accounts so that's not it. I'm going to go with the first reason; high util on other cards perhaps?
769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 7 of 76
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Moving limits in and of itself is not the problem. Doing so causes a review which can lead to problems if they see something they don't like.

Though I will say I can definitely see them clamping down on moving limits. They have always been by far the most liberal about it
Message 8 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wonder if we are moving into a new phase with Chase? They have over exposed themselves and now caution enters? red259 recon ... this is most unfortunate!
Message 9 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

What the heck?  Call them and see what's going on. Politely ask them if they can reinstate your limits. If it's a fresh CLI request, I would pass. I tried once, got hit with 3 HP's (2 EX - 1 TU) and was denied.

Oh boy, this is a new turn. What's your exposure with them and total CC limits elsewhere? Are you a profitable customer? I've done a decent churn over the years with Chase, moving limits, closing cards, etc, and mine are intact tonight (only 27k exposure).

Maybe they needed to reduce your exposure with the newer CSR approval? GL and keep us posted

+1 Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Message 10 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.