Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase's Southwest Rapid Rewards CC general questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase's Southwest Rapid Rewards CC general questions

Hi,

Does anybody have any insight towards this credit card? How hard/easy is to redeem free flights? What about customer service? Is the $59 AF really worth it?

I just checked my credit score (Equifax), it is currently 709 since I opened an account around 6 months ago. No real baddies just that I have an extremely short credit history. Even though I don't actually carry a balance, last month I did not pay before my other CC's closing dates, as such, I am at 29% util. This week they close again and I will have a $1 balance in just one of these accounts Smiley Happy. I am really trying to get the Visa Signature version of this Credit Card given that it has some extra points-earning features. Do you believe I should rather wait so my score jumps a bit due to better util so I can get the Signature one?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase's Southwest Rapid Rewards CC general questions

I had it--it is NOT worth it, IMO. They (Chase) screwed me on their offer terms which pretty much made the card worthless to me. Have a thread with the details:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/So-I-fired-Chase-yesterday-but-I-m-not-satisfied/m-p/69...

That said, a $59 annual fee, which unless stated otherwise, will be charged up front. If they are waiving the first fee and if you are able to get enough in Rapid Rewards credits, take it. Keep in mind, Southwest only allows you to redeem in 16 credit increments (1 round trip ticket); they do not do one-ways.

Message 2 of 8
jefftca925
Established Contributor

I just received the signature card after receiving a great offer... 32 credits after first swipe, 2 credits per year for renewal, and they have bonus point offers all the time that you.can accumalate.  My fico on EQ was around 750 and I already had 3 Chase cards for 2+ years.  The downside is that you can only use the points with SW.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jefftca925 How do you get such a great offer? I can only find the one with 16 credits after first swipe (which is not all that bad either).

Anyone else have any insight before I pull the trigger?

Message 4 of 8
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Someone in another thread mentioned that the 32 credit offer appeared for him because he accessed it through an existing Rapid Rewards account online.

Don't know if this helps you or not, but I hope it does!  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
jefftca925
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jefftca925 How do you get such a great offer? I can only find the one with 16 credits after first swipe (which is not all that bad either).

Anyone else have any insight before I pull the trigger?

Signup for the Frequent Flyer programs of airlines you use.  I've received this offer like 3 times by e-mail and finally last month I pulled the trigger on it and was approved.  From what I've read though the approval is not instant on this card and you have to wait (2 weeks for me).  I've since received the card, used it once, the statement closed, and VOILA!! the credits are in my SW account and ready to be used.  I have to admit this was one of the easiest things to do (except for the waiting..LOL).  I also just got a Citi American Airlines Amex card for a 75k mile bonus offer they gave.  I'll be doing a lot of traveling in the near future.  Europe...HERE I COME!!  Smiley Very Happy

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank y'all...

I am still very undecided. I just checked my TU and it is 725. EQ is 709. My credit cards' statements closed on Friday (the 13th). As soon as the new balance report, I will have better chances of getting approved (0ed my balances). Does anybody know how long does it take for Wells Fargo and Discover to show up in TU and EQ after statement close?

Message 7 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

From what I've read, WF and Discover update on the statement date, but the wait is for Equifax and TransUnion to post the new balances. (Experian generally updates within 24 hours.)

They seem to be updating me a bit more promptly these days, but I'd still allow a week to 10 days. And for me, EQ is generally a day or two faster than TU.

(I know from personal experience that Discover updates the night that the statement drops. I've just read here that WF does the same.)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.