Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase's fraud detection worked great

tag
SGR
Contributor

Chase's fraud detection worked great

A hour ago I got an e-mail from Chase fraud alerts asking me if a charge from Xoom for $1 is legitimate. The card is SD'd for this month and I definitely didn't use it on Xoom, which is an International money transfer website. I immediately clicked "I don't recognize this charge" and they locked the account and told me to call in. I called Chase and they were awesome and immediately reversed the charge. They also let me lock my other chase accounts just in case. I should get new cards in 3-5 business days.

I use this card exclusively at fast food restaurants and I'm willing to bet someone used a skimmer. They probably felt how heavy the card was and thought I was rich and wouldn't notice the transaction. Unfortunately for them, I'm not rich but I am OCD when it comes to my accounts. From the time I got the e-mail until the time my card was locked down was under five minutes. I'm already so OCD about my cards I check them once daily. Sadly, that is probably going to change to five times hourly for the next couple months... ugh. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase's fraud detection worked great

That's some awesome protection.

It's a pain, but it's far better than the alternative!

Here's hoping it ends there.

Message 2 of 8
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@SGR wrote:

A hour ago I got an e-mail from Chase fraud alerts asking me if a charge from Xoom for $1 is legitimate. The card is SD'd for this month and I definitely didn't use it on Xoom, which is an International money transfer website. I immediately clicked "I don't recognize this charge" and they locked the account and told me to call in. I called Chase and they were awesome and immediately reversed the charge. They also let me lock my other chase accounts just in case. I should get new cards in 3-5 business days.

I use this card exclusively at fast food restaurants and I'm willing to bet someone used a skimmer. They probably felt how heavy the card was and thought I was rich and wouldn't notice the transaction. Unfortunately for them, I'm not rich but I am OCD when it comes to my accounts. From the time I got the e-mail until the time my card was locked down was under five minutes. I'm already so OCD about my cards I check them once daily. Sadly, that is probably going to change to five times hourly for the next couple months... ugh. Smiley Sad

It happens to everyone eventually. Don't lose sleep over it. By the time you see it happen, its too late and by that I mean you still need new card(s) and the hassle that goes with that. Any fraudulent transaction is the banks financial problem. Of course if you really are OCD, then I would stick with cash til it fades some.

Message 3 of 8
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Yeah both my Marriott and Ritz cards have been frauded. Marriott card I called up to tell them, Ritz they sent me a SM and said "was this you" I said "no" and I got a new card the next day.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just JUST gotten my freedom card then 2 weeks later Chase Fraud send me a TX/Email if I was in another state at Family Dollar.

I called them and they had NOT approved the transaction and it wasn't me.

They got me a new card decently fast.

I wonder how I earth all this happens. Did they
have a copy of my card?

Message 5 of 8
afinch1992
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just JUST gotten my freedom card then 2 weeks later Chase Fraud send me a TX/Email if I was in another state at Family Dollar.

I called them and they had NOT approved the transaction and it wasn't me.

They got me a new card decently fast.

I wonder how I earth all this happens. Did they
have a copy of my card?

Fraudsters have many tools they can use. Some will get it from skimmers and others access it though the shady mail or online. Does not matter to me as thankfully it does not matter the source of fraud. This is one of the main reasons I use credit cards for all of my expenses. The CCC are on your side

AMEX BCE 18000CL, Citi DC 15000CL, AMEX EDP 15000CL, CSP 5000CL, Fidelity AMEX 5000CL, Sallie Mae MC 7400CL, US Bank Cash+ 5000CL, Chase Freedom 4000CL, Capital One QS 6000CL, BoA Better Balance 2500CL, Discover It 2000CL, BoA Better Cash Rewards 500CL, Chase Amazon CC 700CL

TU: 756 EX: 755 EQ: 753
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently had an issue with my BoA card like that. They caught the fraud quickly, but getting my replacements was a pain. I had called them 5 different times due to not receiving the cards. After talking to a supervisor, i finally got my cards. They said the reason they never got sent was due to a "fraud alert" on my account. No crap there was a fraud alert on my account. Thats the entire reason for being issued new cards....sigh.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

And the CCC are not on your side. They are on their side. I really doubt our experiences would be like this if they had no liability in fraud.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.