cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase sapphire preferred or capital one venture ?

tag
northface28
Established Contributor

Re: Chase sapphire preferred or capital one venture ?

@core wrote:

If you open any Crapital One card, you'll be back here in 6 months asking if it's OK to close it.  Best not to get there in the first place.

This non-sense post along with your belly aching of the Discover EMV card "taking too long" to process at the POS really annoys me.

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 11 of 44
myjourney
Super Contributor

Now now be nice I understand your meaning but lets keep it friendly we're all entitle to a view and they will certainly differ at times  Smiley Wink

MJ

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 12 of 44
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

1:1 point transfer to frequent flyer programs works for me.

Message 13 of 44
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Depends what you want out of the card.

On the base travel merits alone I'd agree CSP > Venture; however, I'm sitting on a pre-approval from Chase re: CSP, and also pretty certain the pre-qual I got from Cap 1 is solid, and personally I'm picking the Venture post mortgage closing and my need to finance some furniture.

I'm not immediately chasing the travel benefits nor the rewards in the cards, and the comparison favors Cap 1 for the following:

• 0% financing promotion
  • Higher limit (for me, I would like to hit 20K, think that's a feasible target with their current underwriting and my profile... could use that benchmark for an application or two next year to finish off my desired portfolio)
  • Pre-qual is sitting at 12.9% which is absurdly low compared to my other rewards cards currently.  Not really a balance carrying card but it's better than some others I could mention in my portfolio if rates markedly jump over the next year and I miss the transition to a high balance low APR card.  Oh to have started my journey a year earlier.
  • If the travel rewards cards vanish overnight at some point and I'm stuck with the Venture, I'll be OK with it.

Anyway what I'm trying to get at is: evaluate what your needs are and then go pick based off of that.  All the opinions in the world may not fit what you individually need.

        
Message 14 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I think a closer comparison is the Arrival Plus vs Venture, as they are addressing the same space (CSP does well for those transferring points).   As others have said, after the first year, the Venture really has no advantage except for FTF over free 2% cards.  For large enough spend, the Arrival can have an advantage over the free cards.

That said, all three are worth getting for the first year bonus, if you are so inclined.

Message 15 of 44
happypill
Valued Contributor

OP, this is the age-old question of whether points or cash back (Venture is basically cash) is better.  To get maximum value from points you need to plan way out in advance (6 months to a year), you need to book premium travel to get max value (preferably premium international) and you need to have the time to mess with all the booking rules, points transfers, etc.  For me, that just doesn't work very well.  The biggest challenge is that I can't book far in advance and by the time I look (maybe a month in advance), decent value points rewards are all gone.  I also don't have a lot of time to waste on tracking points & exchange rates, etc., so cash back definitely works better for me.  For some people, maximizing points & exchange etc., are a hobby so that's cool too for them.

To those who claim unequivocally that the Fidelity Amex & Double Cash are better, I offer the following.  If you're compared 1 vs. 1, neither card offers a sign-on bonus and the Venture offers a $400 sign-on bonus.  Taken in conjunction with the $59 AF with first year free, the Venture is better than those cards for the first 8 years or so,  Given how much things change in that period of time, I'd say that there's no way those other cards can offset the $400.  Now, the optimal strategy would be to get the Venture, collect the bonus, then get another card afterwards, but if you're comparing 1 vs. 1, there's no contest.  For those rocking the DC or Fidelity, let us know about 8 years from now if it's been worth it because until that time you'll be behind.

The other factor applies just to the Fidelity Amex and not the DC.  Amex simply isn't accepted in as many places as Visa/MC.  If you're talking about getting a card as a general spend catch-all card especially for travel, it goes without saying that it has to be accepted everywhere.  Also, the Venture has no international transaction fees, not sure if the Fidelity & DC offer that as well, but since the subject here is travel cards, international fees can be a huge factor.

Message 16 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSP.  And not because of what the previous posters have said (they are all good points.  Depending on your needs, you could go either CSP or Venture, depending on if you want to bother dealing with point transfers/booking expensive flights/etc.  Also, Venture probably will give you the higher limit).

However, I believe that the CSP has way more power than the Venture.  This is because of the Freedom's ability to pair up with the CSP.  Once you have the two of them, there is no question that the CSP is a much stronger card (unless you play to ONLY pay internationally, since Freedom has FTF).

Message 17 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

CSP.  And not because of what the previous posters have said (they are all good points.  Depending on your needs, you could go either CSP or Venture, depending on if you want to bother dealing with point transfers/booking expensive flights/etc.  Also, Venture probably will give you the higher limit).

However, I believe that the CSP has way more power than the Venture.  This is because of the Freedom's ability to pair up with the CSP.  Once you have the two of them, there is no question that the CSP is a much stronger card (unless you play to ONLY pay internationally, since Freedom has FTF).

I think there really is a question!    With Venture (or my preference, Arrival) you are getting 2 points on everything.   With Freedom/CSP you are getting 2 points on dining/travel, and a capped 5 points on whatever category Chase has chosen for that quarter.   Now when transferred, the points are more valuable, but since some value 1UR > 2 cents, the CSP would win on its own anyway.   If you don't transfer, you will possibly earn more with the Venture, depending on your spend and what Freedom offers.

I think the Freedom addition to CSP, while useful, isn't really a game changer (unlike say Citi 5x Forward with the Prestige)

Message 18 of 44
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Which is a better travel card ?

Hands down Amex Platinum peared with Venture or CSP.  Travel abroad and domestic for buisiness and the $450 annual fee more than pays for its self with perks.  Matched up  with venture or CSP if someone doesn't take Amex.  Venture 2% on everything .

I

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 19 of 44
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Which is a better travel card ?

Hands down Amex Platinum peared with Venture or CSP.  Travel abroad and domestic for buisiness and the $450 annual fee more than pays for its self with perks.  Matched up  with venture or CSP if someone doesn't take Amex.  Venture 2% on everything .

I

There is nothing AmEx offers that I'd pay a $450 AF for today - too many other better choices. I traveled a lot, mostly interational and I carried two different AmEx Platinums - just "prepaying" for mostly so callecd perks that I mostly didn't use. Actually there is nothing AmEx offers that I'd pay any AF for today.....

Just my opinion based on many years of travel anf AmEx.

Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.