cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase sapphire preferred vs. Venture capital one?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Chase sapphire preferred vs. Venture capital one?

Venture only makes sense if a person spends a considerable amount in non bonus categories outside the US who isn't interested in any FF or hotel rewards programs, and cares only for the convenience of statement credits.

For every other scenario, there are better options.

Non forex, then 2% Fid Amex for the person who finds rewards points and transfers unrewarding.  CSP (SPG, etc...) for everyone else.

Message 11 of 18
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@ObeyJohnny12 wrote:
CSP is made out of metal. Cap One Venture isn't. Enough said. Smiley Very Happy

AND....CSP starts users out at a minimum $5k, maybe more...Venture?  Maybe...maybe not. 

Message 12 of 18
Open123
Super Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

@ObeyJohnny12 wrote:

AND....CSP starts users out at a minimum $5k, maybe more...Venture?  Maybe...maybe not. 

In other words, based on all of Cap One's cards, there are better alternatives.

1.5% cash back - Fid Amex is better.

Venture 2% - CSP is better if used for dining/travel.

Regular Venture - B of A and Barclays Arrival is better.

Secured - B of A's is better.

Cap One has nothing that is best in class.  Their offerings are the very personification of mediocrity.  

The *only* exception would be the $59 Venture if you spent $50K overseas and none of it in travel/dining related and caring nothing for rewards points and want *only* statement credits.  I can think of maybe 1 out of 10,000 who would fit this category--nerdwallet's target audience, I guess.

Message 13 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ObeyJohnny12 wrote:

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 14 of 18
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@thom02099 wrote:

@ObeyJohnny12 wrote:

Cap One has nothing that is best in class.  Their offerings are the very personification of mediocrity.  

The *only* exception would be the $59 Venture if you spent $50K overseas and none of it in travel/dining related caring nothing for rewards points and want *only* statement credits.  I can think of maybe 1 out of 10,000 who would fit this category.

Cap 1 probably has some good products.

I just haven't seen any product (aside from a mortgage) capable of adding enough value to my life to be worth three hard pulls. It's entirely possible someone could educate me differently but at this point it's a definite no to Cap 1 and anyone else that needs more than one hard pull.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 18
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Venture only makes sense if a person spends a considerable amount in non bonus categories outside the US who isn't interested in any FF or hotel rewards programs, and cares only for the convenience of statement credits.

For every other scenario, there are better options.

Non forex, then 2% Fid Amex for the person who finds rewards points and transfers unrewarding.  CSP (SPG, etc...) for everyone else.

CSP also has no FTF.  Venture rewards can only be used for a statement credit against travel expenses also.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 16 of 18
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@thom02099 wrote:

@ObeyJohnny12 wrote:

The *only* exception would be the $59 Venture if you spent $50K overseas and none of it in travel/dining related and caring nothing for rewards points and want *only* statement credits.  I can think of maybe 1 out of 10,000 who would fit this category--nerdwallet's target audience, I guess.

I think I mainly agree, although I do use my Cap One Cash Reward card, covered by the categories above.  Cap One used to be unusual for the no FTF, but that is now somewhat more common.   The Venture is hard to justify:  I use my no AF card:

1) Outside the US, in areas not covered by bonus categories on other cards (bigger than travel and dining, so for foreign groceries, use PenFed for example)

2) Inside US, non bonus categories where my Fidelity Amex is not accepted (although if I had the Priceline Visa, this case wouldn't exist)

3) Where PerkCentral has better offers than the others

Message 17 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

@thom02099 wrote:

@ObeyJohnny12 wrote:

Given that the vast majority of people should have more than one credit card, best in class isn't that big of a deal necessarily.

Lowest no-FTF underwriting criteria: Cap One or SDFCU

"Best" combination of two secured cards (NFCU membership not factored): BOFA and Cap One.

While I agree Cap One is nowhere close to a premier lender, and from your perspective, and perhaps even mine in a few years, is mediocre, the fact is for the strata which is their traditional market they are a big dog and deservedly so.  When it comes to prime lending, they're the new kid on the block, and I expect their products to go through several iterations over time if they decide to continue competing in that market space.

        
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.