Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase secure message - beware...

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Chase secure message - beware...

Yesterday I had the stupid idea to send Chase a secure message asking if they would see any chance to increase my CL to 5K. I clearly mentioned  NO hard pull! The answer came back that all CLI will require a HP. So sent  them my explanation that it is not worth for me to use a HP for 1K to increase 4K to 5K. The reason why I asked was that I would have liked to ask to convert my Freedom card to a Signature card next year (after 13 months).  Now it comes! Chase then pulled my credit and replied that they could increase to 4,5K (increase of 0,5) and mentioned that they have forwarded my request to convert to a Siggy to the respective department.  As far as I know a conversion can be done earliest  after 13 months and with a CL of 5K. Hmmmm  My message clearly stated that a HP is not worth for 1K and they pulled it anyway for a CLI of 0,5K Smiley Sad... I am shocked and replied to instantly reverse and that I cannot take a HP at this present stage and never authorized this pull.  I asked them to decrease the CL again to 4K and to remove the HP.  

I do not understand why in the world they would pull my credit for 0,5K if I clearly mentioned that for an increase of 1K it is not worth or me to invest a pull and the only reason to ask for 5K was to be able to try to convert my Freedom to a Siggy after 13 months of 5K limit. 

My advise: Be careful when emailing Chase because it looks they do not read the full message and the risk of a pull is quite big Smiley Sad  At least they confirmed to remove the HP and decreased my CL from 4,5K to 4K again Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Chase secure message - beware...

Wait, so they're willing to remove the inquiry? And they're really taking away that extra 500 CL?

A few people have posted before about sending CLI requests via Chase secured messages. It always result in a HP.

Whenever you seek credit, a HP is to be expected, at least for Chase and several other banks. 

To add: If they agreed to remove your inquiry, do keep a lookout for the next 4-8 weeks. Sometimes they say they'll remove the inquiry but it doesn't happen.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 50
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@ enharu

yes the CL is already back at 4K and if I clearly state "NO HARD PULL" in the message why should they pull it anyway? They agreed to remove because I never authorized a pull and was only asking if they would see a chance to increase but only if  "NO HP"

They better remove it as my sentence was in my opinion clear. "Not worth a HP for 1K" and "NO HP" ??

Or can they simply ingnore that ? 

Anyway I learnt my lesson and will stay away from secure messaging Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 50
enharu
Super Contributor

I'm not too sure on the specifics of it, but basically a HP is expected whenever credit is seeked, which is why there's HP and SP. regardless of the definition it doesn't really matter though. If chase has decided to remove the inquiry, do follow up with them and make sure they do it. Sometimes a CSR will just say whatever you want to hear so that you will get off his back and stop giving him a hard time, and then they don't do it. Happens quite a bit, especially with citi.

If u try to dispute it with the CRA chances are you will lose the dispute as long as chase responds to it, because you were indeed seeking credit. So rather than to go this route it's best to just make sure chase removes it on their own.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 50
enharu
Super Contributor

To add, they can't tell you what CLI you are going to get until they do a HP and review your file.

So they can't technically do an inquiry, decide on what CLI to give you, and then reverse the whole process just because the amount isn't what you were hoping for.

It's a good thing they offered to remove this inquiry though since its chase + the whole thing just seems to be a big misunderstanding overall. If it were other lenders you would most likely be stuck with the inquiry.
Message 5 of 50
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I have it in writing and will not dispute with CRA but with Chase if needed. The only reason I asked for a possible increase was that next year it would have given me a better chance for CSP if I had already a 5K card with Chase and I could have tried to ask for a conversion to a Siggy. But with 4K this will be no option. No problem I can live without a Freedom Siggy just thought it would be nice to have the only non Siggy also as Siggy Smiley Happy But a HP for 500$ increase who would go for that?  Definitely not me. For a HP I would ask for 6K to 10K but of course not at this present moment. I know this will NEVER be approved. I need to wait 18-24 months for such an action with my credit profile.

PS: just got the alert from Experian about the inq from First USA Smiley Mad

Message 6 of 50
enharu
Super Contributor

I would say don't worry too much bout it for now. It could take up to 8 weeks for the inquiry to be removed and from what I heard your scores will not go back to what it was before the inquiry even after its removed. It's just 1 inquiry though so your scores probably dropped 3-5 points, I think.
Message 7 of 50
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@enharu wrote:
I would say don't worry too much bout it for now. It could take up to 8 weeks for the inquiry to be removed and from what I heard your scores will not go back to what it was before the inquiry even after its removed. It's just 1 inquiry though so your scores probably dropped 3-5 points, I think.

That is not much of concern. My main reason for NO HP until 2014 is my new Barclays Arrival card! I love this card and do not want to loose it as for me it allows me to top up my mobile phones Smiley Happy So it is as good as 2 x cash back for me and I do not need to use it for travel only!  For a 0,5K increase to risk AA of a 10K card does not make sense at all.

Message 8 of 50
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@enharu wrote:
To add, they can't tell you what CLI you are going to get until they do a HP and review your file.

So they can't technically do an inquiry, decide on what CLI to give you, and then reverse the whole process just because the amount isn't what you were hoping for.

It's a good thing they offered to remove this inquiry though since its chase + the whole thing just seems to be a big misunderstanding overall. If it were other lenders you would most likely be stuck with the inquiry.

I am pretty sure if the same message would have gotten to Discover  saying  "only if no hard pull" they would have respected it and would not have pulled my credit. Really thought you could ask anytime if a SP CLI can be done and you would get a straight NO if not possible and not a straight  HP anyway.  I will never use secure message anymore as the risk is way too high if customer instructions are simply ignored. 

Message 9 of 50
enharu
Super Contributor

Hey question about the arrival, what do you mean you do not have to use it for travel only?
Message 10 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.