Did you mean: 

Chase secure message - beware...

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Chase secure message - beware...

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@enharu wrote:
To add, they can't tell you what CLI you are going to get until they do a HP and review your file.

Why does that require an HP? Why not an SP? Amex does huge customer requested CLSs with SPs. So does GE. Discover will grant small customer requested CLIs with an SP and gives SP auto CLIs all the time.

What makes Chase so different that they "can't" give a dime's worth of CLI without an HP?

Gonna sidetrack a bit here from @lg8302ch's original concern....

Why does that require a HP? Because Chase is doing what hard inquiries are designed for: to make a record on your file for each time you seek credit.

Those lenders you listed are basically cutting you some slack. With Amex there's generous SP CLIs, but that benefit / privilege comes with higher scrutiny by Amex. It's pretty much a "you can't have your cake and eat it too" situation.

Rather than what makes Chase different, it's Amex, GE, Discover, Wells Fargo, Citi and other lenders that are willing to do SP CLIs that are different.

Chase, BofA, Barclays, HSBC, Cap1, etc. all require a HP for each CLI request. It's also just how each lender's systems are set up differently. 

Let's just assume you're right for a second and that every lender should just SP each time a customer seeks credit. Then, one could argue about why is their mortage company doing so many hard inquiries when they could just do 1 HP, and the rest SPs? Or how about all SPs and no HP, since they're privy to the same information regardless of whether it's a SP or a HP? Obviously Amex is able to do SP if denied, HP if approved for current card members. How about every lender takes it up a notch and do SP only for current customers? That would obviously defeat the purpose of which inquiry records are designed for - for lenders to have a record on file each time one seek's credit so that they can analyze risk.

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Whenever you seek credit be ready for HP. Asking for CLI is considered seeking credit. It is written on terms & condition that most people didn't bother to read. Just because AMEX does SP for CLI request doesn't mean Chase will follow it.

My advice, just leave it. You cannot expect customer representitive to know the difference between HP & SP. Most of them are just taking minimum wages; hence they received minimum training.

+1

@mnavas wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Actually no. Your terms and condition also states that Chase may pull your credit report. And by using the card, you agree to terms and condition. So Chase already has your consent.

Yeah but OP said he specifically told chase to not HP his/her reports through the secured message ... so it was chase obligation to warn OP- they wouldn't be able to grant a CLI increase without HP his/her reports....

OP has already agreed to Chase's terms and conditions. Chase has no obligation to warn anyone of anything that they agreed to. It just doesn't work that way. 

@lg8302ch wrote:

It even gets better. I called Chase and they said they only pulled Experian and will reverse. CL is already reversed from 4,5K to 4K. But today I got another alert for an Equifax pull and Chase claims they never pulled EQ?! Who could this be First USA in OH? To my opinion Chase!

Did they pull TU as well? Or just EQ and EX?

First USA = Chase.

Anyways you could just call them and have them remove this. The regular CSRs may not be able to see it on their systems yet. Try calling again later today, if not ask to speak to a supervisor.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 31 of 50
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

Congrats! I knew you were gonna succeed on this,.. Just make sure to keep an eye on your reports so that you'll be sure they kept their word...
Message 32 of 50
enharu
Super Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@bribro wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Would you call Chase?  After yesterdays Experian pull without my consent  and the promise to remove the HP from EX,  I just got  an alert from Equifax and yes Chase pulled my CR today again and  still without my consent !!! What the hell is Chase doing to me...do I need to expect a 3rd pull on TU tomorrow ? How  can I stop this nightmare?

LOL! Only on MyFico does a pair of hard inquiries qualify as a "nightmare." Calm down. Call the executive line (U.S.-based) and explain the situation. This is not the end of the world.

It is for me. I just got a Barclays Arrival card and in December 12 I had a total of 2 cards with total of CL 8,5K!! Now 6 months later 8 cards with 58,5K and we all know how inquiry sensitive Barclays is. I love this card and I do not want any AA on this card for a lumpy CLI of 0,5K for Chase Smiley Sad   - I explicitely wrote that if they cannot offer a CLI of 1K from 4K to 5K with a SP then under no circumstance HP. This message was clear but they did not read it. They will now reverse the HP on EX but claim they never pulled EQ!  Wonder who the hell did this yesterday then if not Chase. 

To be honest, 1 more inquiry isn't going to result in AA. Just garden and you will be safe. Chase probably will remove this though, so nothing much to worry about.

And not to be mean or anything, regardless of how clear the message was, they do have the right to pull your report whenever you seek credit. It's just how the system works.

Just ask to speak to a supervisor and offer to send your CRs over so that he can see the inquiries on each bureau.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 33 of 50
bribro
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@bribro wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Would you call Chase?  After yesterdays Experian pull without my consent  and the promise to remove the HP from EX,  I just got  an alert from Equifax and yes Chase pulled my CR today again and  still without my consent !!! What the hell is Chase doing to me...do I need to expect a 3rd pull on TU tomorrow ? How  can I stop this nightmare?

LOL! Only on MyFico does a pair of hard inquiries qualify as a "nightmare." Calm down. Call the executive line (U.S.-based) and explain the situation. This is not the end of the world.

It is for me. I just got a Barclays Arrival card and in December 12 I had a total of 2 cards with total of CL 8,5K!! Now 6 months later 8 cards with 58,5K and we all know how inquiry sensitive Barclays is. I love this card and I do not want any AA on this card for a lumpy CLI of 0,5K for Chase Smiley Sad   - I explicitely wrote that if they cannot offer a CLI of 1K from 4K to 5K with a SP then under no circumstance HP. This message was clear but they did not read it. They will now reverse the HP on EX but claim they never pulled EQ!  Wonder who the hell did this yesterday then if not Chase. 

Chase, like almost all credit card companies, hires other companies to pull credit reports. The CSR probably thought it wasn't Chase because it didn't say "Chase" on the inquiry - I doubt they get many customers even asking about HPs so that's hardly surprising. Call the executive line and immediately ask for a supervisor if the CSR doesn't understand your situation.

I do think you're making a big deal out of a relatively minor thing though. I wouldn't want to deal with any credit card company where having an HP on my report put me at any risk for AA. That's beyond ridiculous.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 34 of 50
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@ enharu

I truly hope you are right. And it is not a single pull but even double pull without  my consent.  "For me it is not worth the inquiry for 1K to increase 4K to 5K (no hard pull!)" This is what I replied to Chase when they said all CLI  will be a HP.  I  really expected this to be clear! Especially for someone working in this industry 

Message 35 of 50
enharu
Super Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@ enharu

I truly hope you are right. And it is not a single pull but even double pull without  my consent.  "For me it is not worth the inquiry for 1K to increase 4K to 5K (no hard pull!)" This is what I replied to Chase when they said all CLI  will be a HP.  I  really expected this to be clear! Especially for someone working in this industry 

I understand what you mean.

If I didn't know about all these info prior, I would be pissed too, but sadly it's just how things are done.

What I meant was even if they triple pulled you, 1 inquiry on each bureau isn't going to result in an AA. Just garden and you'll be fine.

And not sure if this helps, but Barclays predominantly monitors TU only, sometimes EX too, so if they didn't pull TU, chances are Barclays won't even know.

As for the inquiries you've got, just speak with Chase. They should remove it if that's what they told you.

Message 36 of 50
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@ bribro

I did speak to a credit analyst on the backdoor number. She new exactly how to look at inq and is also aware that First USA is a Chase pull. But she did not see any record of an EQ pull but I did get the alert today from Equifax with the date of 06/13. Chase analyst told me to freeze my report.  

My Barclays Arrival card is the best card for me. No FTF and allows me to pay for my mobile phone and internet Smiley Happy and I got 10K.  Basically allows me to use the full cash back here.

Question: Would you hit the CLI button for 1K on a 4K card and risk triple pull? Not me that is why I emailed Chase to see if they would be willing to increase without HP. My message was soooo clear and even explained why I was asking. Not for the extra credit  of 1K but to have 5K so next year I could try to ask for a Siggy. But I will definitely forget Chase for a Siggy. Double pull to get 4,5K from 4K... that is the most ridiculous action I have experienced so far in my credit life and even worse with instructions not do do so.

Message 37 of 50
enharu
Super Contributor

To your question, there's no way to tell how much you are going to get for a CLI until they tell you, regardless of whether its a SP or HP.

I wouldn't necessarily say its their fault because they only gave you 500 CLI. Either you haven't been using the card a lot, or they felt that you have enough credit for your income level, or they just saw something they didn't like in your CR, may it be a derog or new accounts or too many inquiries.

Chase can be really generous with CLI requests. It just really depends.
Message 38 of 50
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@ enharu

I understand what you mean.

If I didn't know about all these info prior, I would be pissed too, but sadly it's just how things are done.

What I meant was even if they triple pulled you, 1 inquiry on each bureau isn't going to result in an AA. Just garden and you'll be fine.

And not sure if this helps, but Barclays predominantly monitors TU only, sometimes EX too, so if they didn't pull TU, chances are Barclays won't even know.

As for the inquiries you've got, just speak with Chase. They should remove it if that's what they told you.

Thanks. This is an excellent point.  The 2nd EQ pull could be the result of the forward to the department for conversion to the Siggy card. Since the CSR did not read my message he/she did not see that it was only the explanation that in 2014 I would like to try to convert to Freedom Siggy.  I know that a 4 months old regular Feedom with only 4K limit will never get approved. So this could be the 2nd pull and the result will be DENIED but this I knew before that is why I wrote  after 13 months of having a 5K limit. Oh well... damage is done... 

and thanks Lexie for the hint with the conversion department.  

Message 39 of 50
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@enharu wrote:
To your question, there's no way to tell how much you are going to get for a CLI until they tell you, regardless of whether its a SP or HP.

I wouldn't necessarily say its their fault because they only gave you 500 CLI. Either you haven't been using the card a lot, or they felt that you have enough credit for your income level, or they just saw something they didn't like in your CR, may it be a derog or new accounts or too many inquiries.

Chase can be really generous with CLI requests. It just really depends.

I am sure it is becaue if the massive increase of CL from 8,5K to 58,5K in 5 months and too many new accounts. That is also the reason why I would have never processed a CLI via the system as I do NOT need more credit but 5K instead of 4K would have given me better chances for CSP and at least a try to convert to a Freedom Siggy in 13 months. But since they obviously do not read emails and simply HP and transfer to conversion department I will get another negative answer. But this is clear as a 4 months old card certainly does not qualify for a Siggy conversion.  Since all other lenders gave me 5K - 17K except of Chase 4K and Discover  2,5K I thought I could ask if they would kind of soft CLI to 5K (goodwill requests)  be able to try to convert to a Siggy in 13 months. 

Message 40 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.