Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase slate or freedom?

tag
gettnthere
Established Contributor

Re: Chase slate or freedom?

Freedom over slate bc Freedom earns rewards and just about every recent slate approval ive seen has come with "toy limits". The slate is supposed to be a great BT card but i meant honestly Chase, who wants to BT to a card with a 2k limit or less, which seems to be the CL's they love giving out in that card lately.

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 11 of 18
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@gettnthere wrote:
Freedom over slate bc Freedom earns rewards and just about every recent slate approval ive seen has come with "toy limits". The slate is supposed to be a great BT card but i meant honestly Chase, who wants to BT to a card with a 2k limit or less, which seems to be the CL's they love giving out in that card lately.

Someone posted the other day that their partner got $9,000 limit. Not a toy limit to most of us but it was his/her's lowest limit.

Slate if you want to carry a balance and BT(0% + $0 fee offer). Freedom if you tend to PIF and want rewards.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 12 of 18
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

Slate is mainly a BT card. No rewards. No benefit. I'd go for the Freedom.

+1  

only got the slate for BT's  15month free interest

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 13 of 18
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@Swifttone, your right, i completely forgot about that one. Most definitely not a toy limit. But in fairness, that's the largest CL ive seen given out on that card in awhile.

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 14 of 18
bs6054
Valued Contributor

I got a $17K limit on it, but that was about 8 years ago.   Now I have no idea why I applied for it! 

Later I applied for the Chase British Airways card, and as I hadn't been using Slate, they closed that card and put the CL on the BA card.  (Since I wasn't FICO-aware at that time, I didn't ask about PC, HP etc, and now looking at my credit report it shows as two cards, don't know if there was a HP as this was more than two years ago).  Closed the BA card last month.

Message 15 of 18
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Freedom hands down

Message 16 of 18
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

I got a $17K limit on it, but that was about 8 years ago.   Now I have no idea why I applied for it! 

Later I applied for the Chase British Airways card, and as I hadn't been using Slate, they closed that card and put the CL on the BA card.  (Since I wasn't FICO-aware at that time, I didn't ask about PC, HP etc, and now looking at my credit report it shows as two cards, don't know if there was a HP as this was more than two years ago).  Closed the BA card last month.

Dang. You could have PC'd it to a Freedom and gotten some good rewards :/ How long did you have it without any activity before they closed it?

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 17 of 18
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Looks like 6 years or so (I just forgot about it).  They didn't close till I applied for the BA card.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.