cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase updated my Amazon visa to a visa sign?

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Chase updated my Amazon visa to a visa sign?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@tonyjones wrote:

I don't get what's the point of them upgrading you to Visa Signature with $1000 CL and not increasing your credit limit....... lenders man....

Cards with the 'Signature' designation charge the merchant a higher swipe fee than a 'Platinum' level card. 

It's all about the $$$.  Smiley Wink

Presumably there must also be some cost-disincentive for the issuer, as otherwise we would see all cards being issued as Visa Sig/WEMC so the issuers can get the higher swipe.   Especially as they don't really need to provide all the benefits (e.g. flex on Citi DC for some).

But I guess we are seeing more and more of this, so I guess swipe fees must outweigh the additional cost.

I always presumed the $5k credit line would be a static feature of Signature cards, but that hasn't been the case in some time now.

Since 'Signature' became what 'Gold' used to be, and now you can get a 'Gold' reloadable card at Wal-Mart, I wonder what the next 'Prime' designation will be?

Message 31 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine was apparently upgraded as well (according to Credit Karma anyway, haven't talked to support or gotten a notice). I've been planning to close the card and roll the limit into my Freedom, which I'll probably still do I suppose, but they're making it difficult! If it really has been upgraded it'll be my only Signature card. It's a 2k limit though and I just don't use it (Prime store card is better, plus Discover and Freedom categories).

Message 32 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

My measly $500 card wa also upgraded to Signature. No mention of a new card being mailed though.

This is my first Signature card so it'll be good to have the status for future Fandango promos. I'm content that the upgrade didn't come with a CLI as this card is in the SD about 95% of the time and my total credit exposure (relative to income) is nearing its end. Saves me an awkward "please reduce my CL" SM.

Message 33 of 46
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

Has anybody gotten a automatic CLI due to being upgraded to Viggy Signature?

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 34 of 46
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

@tonyjones wrote:

Has anybody gotten a automatic CLI due to being upgraded to Viggy Signature?

No. 

Message 35 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here I'm AU on my moms card and my credit reports all had alerts that it went from revolving to flex early this morning on the AMZ Visa...it's only a $500 limit as well so it's been SD...put some Dooney & Burke monthly payments on it originally paid it off...did one amazon order for $3...paid that and left it alone...Got chase disney that's more of go to already signature

Message 36 of 46
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

image.jpeg

Message 37 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just checked my account page, and there was a secure message saying my Amazon card ($1000 credit limit) was updated to Visa Signature too. Interesting and somewhat ironic. I just applied for a Capital One Quicksilver card a few days ago, and one of the things that I liked about it was that it was a Visa Signature card. So within a week, I went from having no Signature cards but being interested in one to now having 2 Signature cards! Smiley Very Happy

Message 38 of 46
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

I could be wrong but maybe they (chase) are going for higher "swipe" fees??

+1

^^^ This all the way.  Smiley Wink

Late to the party, but yes.  Also, your internal score with them matters.  (Plus, if your a PIF guy/gal like me, then they need to make money somehow Smiley Wink).

Signature needs updating
Message 39 of 46
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@tonyjones wrote:

I don't get what's the point of them upgrading you to Visa Signature with $1000 CL and not increasing your credit limit....... lenders man....

Cards with the 'Signature' designation charge the merchant a higher swipe fee than a 'Platinum' level card. 

It's all about the $$$.  Smiley Wink

Presumably there must also be some cost-disincentive for the issuer, as otherwise we would see all cards being issued as Visa Sig/WEMC so the issuers can get the higher swipe.   Especially as they don't really need to provide all the benefits (e.g. flex on Citi DC for some).

But I guess we are seeing more and more of this, so I guess swipe fees must outweigh the additional cost.

I always presumed the $5k credit line would be a static feature of Signature cards, but that hasn't been the case in some time now.

Since 'Signature' became what 'Gold' used to be, and now you can get a 'Gold' reloadable card at Wal-Mart, I wonder what the next 'Prime' designation will be?

VISA Prime Elite?  Private Banking Club?  What is the one they have over in Europe?

Signature needs updating
Message 40 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.