Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase vs Discover CLI vs Sock Drawer.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase vs Discover CLI vs Sock Drawer.

After searching all over on here I can't seem to find a common opinion. Which card is better to use vs stick in the sock drawer to get CLI's over the next year.    Some people say Discover hardly ever gives CLI's other's seem to be getting them every month then other's say Chase likes to see 15% use at most then sock drawer it and pay it off then hope and wish and you might get an increase.  Open to suggestion's this will be a secondary card and never carry a balance over 0-5% at most prior to paying in full. Unless of a medical emergency or something.                       Am I missing something.  Currently Freedom is at 2,200 and Discover is 3,000.

Thanks again.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase vs Discover CLI vs Sock Drawer.

In my experience I have not received a Chase auto CLI, it always required a HP regardless of use. Discover gave me 1 auto CLI with only using it for a 0% BT and the 3 or 4 on request, SP. I've heard Chase likes heavy use and big payments to get an auto CLI, but from my experience Discover has been the easier of the two for an auto CLI.
Message 2 of 5
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

After searching all over on here I can't seem to find a common opinion. Which card is better to use vs stick in the sock drawer to get CLI's over the next year.    Some people say Discover hardly ever gives CLI's other's seem to be getting them every month then other's say Chase likes to see 15% use at most then sock drawer it and pay it off then hope and wish and you might get an increase.  Open to suggestion's this will be a secondary card and never carry a balance over 0-5% at most prior to paying in full. Unless of a medical emergency or something.                       Am I missing something.  Currently Freedom is at 2,200 and Discover is 3,000.

Thanks again.

IMO, do not waste time trying to get a CLI with Chase, auto or otherwise. You will likely be disappointed. For whatever reason they are just not the type of lender that really gives CLIs. Are there exceptions sure, but there are much better ways to frustrate yourself and waste your time.

Discover on the other hand is pretty easy in my experience if you show heavy usage...I don't know who ever said Discover hardly gives CLIs but that is not the case. They also have SP CLI unless it requires a HP whereas Chase is always HP if you ask. Discover may start people off with low limits, but they definitely give CLIs if you use the card (a lot of the moaning about Discover not giving CLIs also comes from people who charge 2 bucks a month to the card and wonder why their limit isn't 10k yet Smiley Happy)

Message 3 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

After searching all over on here I can't seem to find a common opinion. Which card is better to use vs stick in the sock drawer to get CLI's over the next year. 

Of course not.  CLI's are determined based on what one's credit and income qualify for.  Everyone does not have the same credit and income.  Common opinion doesn't matter anyway.  Each needs to make decision based on criteria specific to the indivudal versus just following the herd (which is what common opinion, consensus, etc are).  CLI's are not useful/practical criteria.  We are not Chase or Discover underwriters and we have no idea what your credit is like.

@Anonymous wrote:

other's say Chase likes to see 15% use at most then sock drawer it and pay it off then hope and wish and you might get an increase.

People say lots of things on any topic.  You'll get all sorts of conflicting information on the internet if you only take things on face value without attempting to consider your sources, validate, corroaborate, etc.  Usage and relationship are freuqently stated as ways to get CLI's but the priamry factors are one's credit and income.  Usage and relationship may help in some cases but they are not going to overrule credit and income and they are not going to make or break a CLI on their own.

@Anonymous wrote:

Am I missing something. 

If you want CLI's then work on your credit.  One may not necessarily lead to the other in some cases.  As I said, I haven't received any CLI's form Chase but at the same time I know I'm at or near my internal limit with my 4 cards as I bumped into it while opening the 4th.  In my case I've hit what Chase is willing to extend to me unless my profile improves enough to qualify for more from them.  However, the state of my credit has certainly led to CLI's with Discover and other creditors where I do have the headroom for CLI's.

My wife, on the other hand, has received a number of auto CLI's from Chase.  Her credit, though, is different and she only has one Chase card.

Message 4 of 5
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

I might not have enough experience,  but chase  (amazon visa) seems to gift me with CLI at regular intervals, but its really one of my most used cards tbh.  My CL with them is now at 9k (started at 2500) and they've always been auto. I just got discover with a 9K starting CL .  Cap one on the other hand dosen't show me any love at all, the CL has been the same for several years and I've been with them the longest.

YMMV, I don't find there to be a formula per se.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.