cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase wanted to automatically upgrade my card to the dreaded Freedom Visa Signature card!!!

tag
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase wanted to automatically upgrade my card to the dreaded Freedom Visa Signature card!!!

haulingthescoreup wrote:
A credit UN-limit block!

Smiley Very Happy  HTSU, you are too funny.  Thanks for that.

I doubt I have to worry about this 'problem' myself, though their BA card is actually a sig card (if one qualifies for it), as it was like pulling teeth just to get a $1K CLI last month after a year of perfect payment history with them (no auto-CLI for me on my 'birthday' with them, either).

Now that I know what 'signature' means, I'm EXTREMELY glad I didn't qualify for that and ended up with just the regular version of the BA Visa card, when I applied last year! Smiley Surprised

However, I also shall be keeping an eye on any mail I get from them, just in case.... Smiley Wink

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 61 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase wanted to automatically upgrade my card to the dreaded Freedom Visa Signature card!!!

psychic wrote:
The next time I call Chase, I'll ask about it again.  Chase CSRs have a history of conflicting responses!

I called Chase again this evening.  The rep told me that a "credit limit block" would not prevent me from receiving future automatic credit line increases.

However, when it comes to conflicting responses:

Earlier today, I asked Chase CSR #1 if I could convert my Visa to a MC.  He responded "NO."  This evening, Chase CSR #2 responded "YES," I can convert my Visa to a MC.

Earlier today, I asked Chase CSR #1 if I could convert my Free Cash Rewards card to a Freedom card.  He responded "NO (he said it was because the card was first issued by BankOne, and they can't convert unless the account was originally opened with Chase). "  This evening, Chase CSR #2 responded "YES," I can convert my Free Cash Rewards card to a Freedom card.

Message 62 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

psychic wrote:

psychic wrote:
The next time I call Chase, I'll ask about it again.  Chase CSRs have a history of conflicting responses!

I called Chase again this evening.  The rep told me that a "credit limit block" would not prevent me from receiving future automatic credit line increases.

Earlier today, I asked Chase CSR #1 if I could convert my Visa to a MC.  He responded "NO."  This evening, Chase CSR #2 responded "YES," I can convert my Visa to a MC.

Earlier today, I asked Chase CSR #1 if I could convert my Free Cash Rewards card to a Freedom card.  He responded "NO (he said it was because the card was first issued by BankOne, and they can't convert unless the account was originally opened with Chase). "  This evening, Chase CSR #2 responded "YES," I can convert my Free Cash Rewards card to a Freedom card.

Call tonight, and say "hello, could I please speak to Chase CSR #2 please?"!
Message 63 of 85
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The next time I call Chase, I'll ask about it again. Chase CSRs have a history of conflicting responses!

I called Chase again this evening. The rep told me that a "credit limit block" would not prevent me from receiving future automatic credit line increases.

Earlier today, I asked Chase CSR #1 if I could convert my Visa to a MC. He responded "NO." This evening, Chase CSR #2 responded "YES," I can convert my Visa to a MC.

Earlier today, I asked Chase CSR #1 if I could convert my Free Cash Rewards card to a Freedom card. He responded "NO (he said it was because the card was first issued by BankOne, and they can't convert unless the account was originally opened with Chase). " This evening, Chase CSR #2 responded "YES," I can convert my Free Cash Rewards card to a Freedom card.

FWIW, I did a product change from a Chase Freedom Signature MC to a "regular" Chase Freedom Visa pretty easily.
Here we go again...
Message 64 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

FretlessMayhem wrote:

FWIW, I did a product change from a Chase Freedom Signature MC to a "regular" Chase Freedom Visa pretty easily.

I have 2 Chase cards.  Last year I easily converted one of my Chase Free Cash Rewards cards to a Freedom card.  That particular account, opened in 1986, was originally with First Card.  I'm now interested in converting my remaining Free Cash Rewards card to a Freedom card.  Given last year I could convert the former First Card, I was highly cynical of CSR #1's assertion that a card without Chase origins couldn't be changed to a Freedom card. 

I can't complain about Chase CSRs being impolite.  However, their inconsistent responses can drive me a little crazy. 
Message 65 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

psychic wrote:

Given last year I could convert the former First Card, I was highly cynical of CSR #1's assertion that a card without Chase origins couldn't be changed to a Freedom card. 

As you probably know (because you're psychic), I had a First Card (United MileagePlus) and they metamorphosed it into a Chase Freedom.
Message 66 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

masdeocho wrote:

psychic wrote:

Given last year I could convert the former First Card, I was highly cynical of CSR #1's assertion that a card without Chase origins couldn't be changed to a Freedom card. 

As you probably know (because you're psychic), I had a First Card (United MileagePlus) and they metamorphosed it into a Chase Freedom.

Whenever I have to contact Chase, I always plan on making at least 2 telephone calls (at different times of the day) just to make certain that I get a consistent answer from their reps.  I really shouldn't have to do that!
Message 67 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

Darn it! I just applied for a Chase Freedom card and got approved, but just now realized what "Visa Signature" means. I already have a Citibank World Dividend card, and it has the same problem of not reporting my CL, so my utilization is 100% (it's the only card I have). So, I decided to apply for another card and phase out my Citibank World Dividend. And just now, I realized that the Visa Signature would have the same problem! Ughh... I tried calling the Applications Department, got redirected back and forth 4 times, asking whether I can get the "regular" Freedom card with fixed CL. However, the CSRs either don't know anything about the Signature, or said that the Freedom is only offered with the Signature. Is that right? Any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks.
Message 68 of 85
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

If you have a taste for adventure, you can put an enormous charge on the card and promptly pay it off, BEFORE your statement date. CCC's report the highest balance that you've had on a card, even if it was intercycle (between statements). There's a way to do this with cash advance checks, but we'll need a lot of outside help on that.

Anyway, this is how you force a high CL to report: nearly max it out, but pay it off promptly.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 69 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

yottaflops wrote:
Darn it! I just applied for a Chase Freedom card and got approved, but just now realized what "Visa Signature" means. I already have a Citibank World Dividend card, and it has the same problem of not reporting my CL, so my utilization is 100% (it's the only card I have). So, I decided to apply for another card and phase out my Citibank World Dividend. And just now, I realized that the Visa Signature would have the same problem! Ughh... I tried calling the Applications Department, got redirected back and forth 4 times, asking whether I can get the "regular" Freedom card with fixed CL. However, the CSRs either don't know anything about the Signature, or said that the Freedom is only offered with the Signature. Is that right? Any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks.

After you receive your new Signature card, call the Chase Customer Service number on the back of the card.  Tell their rep that you'd like to change your Signature Freedom card to the Platinum (non-Signature) Freedom card.  You won't be receiving some of the Signature perks with the Platinum version (such as concierge services, etc.), but the rewards program is still the same.   The Platinum card generally has a lower APR than the Signature version. 
Message 70 of 85
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.