cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase wanted to automatically upgrade my card to the dreaded Freedom Visa Signature card!!!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase wanted to automatically upgrade my card to the dreaded Freedom Visa Signature card!!!

I didn't find the regular Freedom Card (as opposed to the Freedom Plus) on the chase website anymore.  Then I was checking out their demo of the blink technology and found a link to apply for it.  On the bottom of the screen I wasn't surprised to find this:
 
"You will first be considered for a Visa® Signature card. If you do not qualify for that product, you will automatically be considered for a Visa® Platinum card, which has different benefits and credit availability."
 
Seems like they try to get you from every angle.
Message 21 of 85
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase wanted to automatically upgrade my card to the dreaded Freedom Visa Signature card!!!



krystofur wrote:
...Then I was checking out their demo of the blink technology...


After at least 4 years of having a "blink" card, I finally was able to "blink" at Best Buy in April.  Oddly, on the Chase blink website, Best Buy isn't even listed as an area merchant accepting blink. 
EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 22 of 85
Established Contributor

Re: Chase wanted to automatically upgrade my card to the dreaded Freedom Visa Signature card!!!

Maybe the Best Buy "blink" readers are new installments for them?  I rarely go to Best Buy, but did last week.  This was the first time I got to "blink."  It was quite novel ... but I don't get out much. Smiley Surprised
Message 23 of 85
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase wanted to automatically upgrade my card to the dreaded Freedom Visa Signature card!!!



psychic wrote:


krystofur wrote:
...Then I was checking out their demo of the blink technology...


After at least 4 years of having a "blink" card, I finally was able to "blink" at Best Buy in April.  Oddly, on the Chase blink website, Best Buy isn't even listed as an area merchant accepting blink. 


I forgot to ask you psychic (and everyone else here), did you get the offer for a $10 statement credit for three blink transactions in April?  At least I thought it was originally for $10, when I got my statement it showed a $25 credit!  McDonalds and our local grocery store are the only places around here that I can use it.  Too bad they don't offer that every month, it would pay for a lot of lunches. Smiley Happy
Message 24 of 85
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase wanted to automatically upgrade my card to the dreaded Freedom Visa Signature card!!!



krystofur wrote:

I forgot to ask you psychic (and everyone else here), did you get the offer for a $10 statement credit for three blink transactions in April?  At least I thought it was originally for $10, when I got my statement it showed a $25 credit!  McDonalds and our local grocery store are the only places around here that I can use it.  Too bad they don't offer that every month, it would pay for a lot of lunches. Smiley Happy


I checked for "participating merchants" and there were NONE within a 50-mile radius of my home (which is in a major metropolitan area).  I called Chase and complained and they gave me a $10 cashback credit.
-----------------
Bartender, bring another round of FICOtinis please!

9.4.2011: TU 805. EQ 815.
Message 25 of 85
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase wanted to automatically upgrade my card to the dreaded Freedom Visa Signature card!!!



krystofur wrote:
 
I forgot to ask you psychic (and everyone else here), did you get the offer for a $10 statement credit for three blink transactions in April?  At least I thought it was originally for $10, when I got my statement it showed a $25 credit!  McDonalds and our local grocery store are the only places around here that I can use it.  Too bad they don't offer that every month, it would pay for a lot of lunches. Smiley Happy


I had that offer when I first received the Chase blink card (it wasn't a Freedom card then) back in 2003 or 2004.  I think that my statement credit offer probably expired by now, or Chase just gave up on the thought of me ever using blink.  Anyway, I'm not counting on any credits on my account. 
EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 26 of 85
Established Contributor

Re: Chase wanted to automatically upgrade my card to the dreaded Freedom Visa Signature card!!!



MinnesotaJ wrote:
Ok, I don't work for that company but I am a CC CSR, and I think the person you talked to made a big boo boo and I would call back and make sure there is no credit limit block.  Where I work you CAN request and place a block so there will be no automatic CLI.  I don't know how that would stop a conversion into a world card...  get a different rep on the line.

Well ... I called back and the second rep I spoke with acted like that was their typical "method" of stopping a World/Signature conversion.  He insisted that it would not prevent me from receiving automatic CLIs.  I guess I hide and watch now.

 
Message 27 of 85
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase wanted to automatically upgrade my card to the dreaded Freedom Visa Signature card!!!



Dawn wrote:


MinnesotaJ wrote:
Ok, I don't work for that company but I am a CC CSR, and I think the person you talked to made a big boo boo and I would call back and make sure there is no credit limit block.  Where I work you CAN request and place a block so there will be no automatic CLI.  I don't know how that would stop a conversion into a world card...  get a different rep on the line.

Well ... I called back and the second rep I spoke with acted like that was their typical "method" of stopping a World/Signature conversion.  He insisted that it would not prevent me from receiving automatic CLIs.  I guess I hide and watch now.


The next time I'm on the phone with a Chase rep, I'll ask about "credit limit blocks."  I'll be calling Chase within the next few weeks, because I'm going to ask about the possibility of converting my other Chase card to a Freedom account.  I've never heard of anyone having 2 Freedom accounts, and I want to see if it can be done.  That would give me a total of 6 top spending categories, rather than 3.
EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 28 of 85
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase wanted to automatically upgrade my card to the dreaded Freedom Visa Signature card!!!



psychic wrote:


Dawn wrote:


MinnesotaJ wrote:
Ok, I don't work for that company but I am a CC CSR, and I think the person you talked to made a big boo boo and I would call back and make sure there is no credit limit block.  Where I work you CAN request and place a block so there will be no automatic CLI.  I don't know how that would stop a conversion into a world card...  get a different rep on the line.

Well ... I called back and the second rep I spoke with acted like that was their typical "method" of stopping a World/Signature conversion.  He insisted that it would not prevent me from receiving automatic CLIs.  I guess I hide and watch now.


The next time I'm on the phone with a Chase rep, I'll ask about "credit limit blocks."  I'll be calling Chase within the next few weeks, because I'm going to ask about the possibility of converting my other Chase card to a Freedom account.  I've never heard of anyone having 2 Freedom accounts, and I want to see if it can be done.  That would give me a total of 6 top spending categories, rather than 3.


That was the idea behind coverting my Chase Card to a Freedom Card, so DW and I could do the same thing.  Of course we still haven't sat down and figured out which card to use where, but it's on my to do list. Smiley Happy
Message 29 of 85
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase wanted to automatically upgrade my card to the dreaded Freedom Visa Signature card!!!



krystofur wrote:


psychic wrote:
 
...  I'll be calling Chase within the next few weeks, because I'm going to ask about the possibility of converting my other Chase card to a Freedom account.  I've never heard of anyone having 2 Freedom accounts, and I want to see if it can be done.  That would give me a total of 6 top spending categories, rather than 3.


That was the idea behind converting my Chase Card to a Freedom Card, so DW and I could do the same thing.  Of course we still haven't sat down and figured out which card to use where, but it's on my to do list. Smiley Happy


Before converting the one card to the Freedom account, I had 2 Chase "Free Cash Rewards" accounts.  That would lead me to believe that I could also have 2 Freedom accounts.  I'll see what Chase has to say about it. 
EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 30 of 85