Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ChaseTravel vs AmexTravel vs AmexConnect

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@medo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I used to book on AmexTravel bc i get 2x miles with amex Gold. However, booking flights or hotels on amextravel the tix and stay are pre-paid and non-refundable which sux. Now that i can get 2x miles for booking thru the carrier, I will just do that instead since the tix are cheaper and more flexible. Or i will book with my Hyatt instead for 2x pts and pts have good value. 

However if you have the PRG, you can get 4x miles booking thru amextravel and 3x miles booking thru carrier which is a good deal either way. 

Premier rewards gold gets you 4x MR when you use it to book your fights through amextravel or amexconnect ? $780 x4 . I was thinking citi expedia card because it seems ill still earn more just now mr points but $$$. Save booking on discounted sites. Still trying weigh in. I think amex charge cards great as it is. Membership status and benefits (pp lounges, $200 airfare credit, hotel gold status etc...)  not for purchasing because so far im not saving anything when using charge cards to purchase my flights or vacation or maybe i just dont know how to use it. For $200 gold i expect to earn 2x points dinning restaurants abroad unlike $95 chase sapphire which does include dinning abroad. 

How are you getting 4x MR via AMEX Travel?  I saw someone post this before but when I inquired with AMEX about it, they said it is a max of x3, not x4.

Would you mind sharing some insight on this?

Thats what i thought too. I was referring what someone else said. Perhaps im not a point guy. I like cash. I did get an offer from amex for blue cash everydah $150 cash back when i spend $500. I also got the 25k MR bonus when i spend $2,000 on everday no annual fee card. But thats points. Point seems so confusing for a guy who not good with numbers or math my worst subject. Maybe thats how they make money

2x miles. 2 x MR poinys. 2 x UR points or just plain 2% cash back Smiley Happy

You already have a DC for 2% back, though, and no worrying about points with it...it's just a straight 2%!

I think you should probably dial back a bit and stick to cash if points are giving you a headache. Just like yesterday with the balance transfer thread I think you are putting more thought into this than you probably need to. I'm not saying that to be rude, but for every program, there's someone who benefits from it and someone who doesn't. I have no interest/use for MR points because I don't want to take the time to compare prices, transfer points, etc, but for others they are a godsend. If you prefer cash back, stick with it.

I cant do a balance transfer on amex charge cards. I was just looking at it because they've sent me offers for platinum 100k, Gold 50k, blue $150, and white everyday 25k. Too good to pass? Thats why im brainstorming and came on here to chat about it. Smiley Happy Maybe thats how they make money like booking on amextravel you get more points but also costs $10 more so you really not getting the MR points you think you're getting. AMEX is getting them. Afterall, amex is great for perks and status but for purchasing flights im going to use a different card. I bet amex makes a fortune amexconnect and amextravel though they've lost us airways and american airlines so something was up Smiley Happy

threw away the gold but it the same

Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
My experience booking two trips has been:
Flights and guided tours/packages (like Viator) through Chase are comparable to airline/viator price.
Hotels through AmEx are comparable to travel site price and more likely to be refundable.
Rental vehicles are overpriced on both.
Full vacation packages (airfare+hotel+car) are cheaper through other travel sites.

Always verify of course but spending more for bonus points is pretty much always a losing proposition, so go for the lowest price while being aware of terms (is it refundable? if it's a package, can i change parts? etc.)

Spending more for bonus points is definitely always a losing proposition.

Generally, the Amex and Chase portals don't seem to usually provide the cheapest price, although there are exceptions. The point is that Chase is giving you the 20% extra points to entice you to use their portal; in order to be able to do that, it stands to reason they are not subsequently giving you the rock bottom cheapest price.

I understand you did your research and compared things and that's good. Most of the value of "travel cards" like CSP is from transferring your points to partners. Generally, booking through Amex, Chase, etc is not nearly as valuable or good of a deal, and you often can do better with other sites/a cash back card for just straight booking. Just an example, with my Upromise MC, I can get ~10% back on Expedia, Orbitz, and Travelocity right now. Even without their MC, the percentage is 5%. This may sometimes be a better value than booking through Chase and paying for an AF card in the meantime. Just weigh all of your options.

I agree 100% and never pay with points through Chase portal. I should say: if you are paying for plane tickets anyway, it is usually as good place as the carrier's website, but a bad place to buy a rental car or hotel.

In my case I have not really had good experiences with sites like Expedia and will only book there for very steep discounts. I would prefer getting 6% back on my United flight booked with Chase but alterable through United directly, than get 10% back but risk dealing with Expedia. The AF is a sunk cost for now since I need the card for transfers but you've given me something to think about in the future. Thanks.

Message 22 of 30
myjourney
Super Contributor

All the portals are just like any other shopping experience...

Search until you find the best bang for your buck and then execute the deal be it cash, CC or points 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@medo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I used to book on AmexTravel bc i get 2x miles with amex Gold. However, booking flights or hotels on amextravel the tix and stay are pre-paid and non-refundable which sux. Now that i can get 2x miles for booking thru the carrier, I will just do that instead since the tix are cheaper and more flexible. Or i will book with my Hyatt instead for 2x pts and pts have good value. 

However if you have the PRG, you can get 4x miles booking thru amextravel and 3x miles booking thru carrier which is a good deal either way. 

Premier rewards gold gets you 4x MR when you use it to book your fights through amextravel or amexconnect ? $780 x4 . I was thinking citi expedia card because it seems ill still earn more just now mr points but $$$. Save booking on discounted sites. Still trying weigh in. I think amex charge cards great as it is. Membership status and benefits (pp lounges, $200 airfare credit, hotel gold status etc...)  not for purchasing because so far im not saving anything when using charge cards to purchase my flights or vacation or maybe i just dont know how to use it. For $200 gold i expect to earn 2x points dinning restaurants abroad unlike $95 chase sapphire which does include dinning abroad. 

How are you getting 4x MR via AMEX Travel?  I saw someone post this before but when I inquired with AMEX about it, they said it is a max of x3, not x4.

Read the amex site. PRG gets 4x pts if u book flights thru amextravel. 3x pts for flights booked thru carriers.

Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@medo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Read the amex site. PRG gets 4x pts if u book flights thru amextravel. 3x pts for flights booked thru carriers.

Hmm just checked the amex site for their PRG benefits and i only see 3x for flights which they always had before. There is no benefit to booking thru amextravel then bc those tix are non-refundable etc. Maybe they figured 4x was too good of a deal and nerfed it quietly haha.

Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@medo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmm just checked the amex site for their PRG benefits and i only see 3x for flights which they always had before. There is no benefit to booking thru amextravel then bc those tix are non-refundable etc. Maybe they figured 4x was too good of a deal and nerfed it quietly haha.

I wouldnt started this forum if i saw that 4x booking amextravel with gold ($195 annual fee) vs 2x booking amextravel with platinum ($450 annual fee) come on! 

Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

It also depends if you are going to fly somewhere really quick one time and then fly again in before too long, knowing before that date you will have an accumulation that knocks that second booking down In my amex offers I have hundred bucks off a $600 thru amextravel. I have been on two different cards so I don't know if it helps to do everything through one card ask for help or of the another user do all of the booking on separate acct for her own 100 off
Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

this is what you get if you meet the bonus that's offered right now for 2 year membership (24 months) based on their annual fees alone. Figures are in nearest 10th in general spendings.

Barclay arrival +    Spend $3,000 /  + $500 /  don't meet bonus - $100

Chase Sapphire    Spend $4,000 / + $400 / don't meet bous   - $100   

AMEX Gold          Spend $1,000 / + $300 / don't meet bonus  - $200

AMEX Platiunum   ($450 waived for the first year)                    - $500      

(Ameriprise Financial)

AMEX Platinum     Spend $3,000 / + $300 / don't meet bonus - $1,000

AMEX Everyday    Spend $2,000 / + $250 / don't meet bonus - $0 

AMEX Blue ED      Spend $500 /   + $150 / don't meet bonus -  $0 

Message 28 of 30
wdia
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

this is what you get if you meet the bonus that's offered right now for 2 year membership (24 months) based on their annual fees alone. 

Barclay arrival +    Spend $3,000 / + $800 /  don't meet bonus - $100

Chase Sapphire     Spend $4,000 / + $700 / don't meet bous   - $100 

AMEX Gold            Spend $1,000 / + $400 / don't meet bonus - $200

(Ameriprise Financial)

AMEX Platinum     Spend $3,000 / + $300 / don't meet bonus - $1,000

AMEX Everyday    Spend $2,000 / + $250 / don't meet bonus - $0 

AMEX Blue ED      Spend $500 /   + $150 / don't meet bonus -  $0 

Thanks for the nice visual to see the differences of each card!

Ollo Platinum 1.5k||Mission Lane 2.6k||Capital One Venture One 3.6k||Capital One QuickSilver 5k||Capital One Savor One 5k||Marriot Bonvoy BEVY Amex 1.7k
Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

corrected ... 2% $3,000 spending not $300. It's $60.

$800 - $300 + $100 (nearest 10th) - $100 annaul fee (nearest 10th). = $500. 

Barclay arrival +     Spend $3,000 /  + $500 /  don't meet bonus - $100

Chase Sapphire     Spend $4,000 / + $400 / don't meet bous    - $100   

AMEX Gold           Spend $1,000 / + $300 / don't meet bonus  - $200

(Ameriprise Financial)

AMEX Platinum     Spend $3,000 / + $300 / don't meet bonus - $1,000

AMEX Everyday    Spend $2,000 / + $250 / don't meet bonus - $0 

AMEX Blue ED      Spend $500 /   + $150 / don't meet bonus -  $0 
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.