Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChaseTravel vs AmexTravel vs AmexConnect

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ChaseTravel vs AmexTravel vs AmexConnect

Priceline you can get extra % off with name your own price by ebates or as an aol member.

Expedia dont forget has 25 off 100 coupons for hotels.  You also get 3 expedia points per dollar for any bookings you do through the mobile app. Now the expedia+ voyager card would give you another 4 points per dollar so basically 7% as 1 expedia point is worth 1 penny. the annual fee is $95 but includes a $100 annual travel credit (not sure if gift cards work on this like they do with amex)

https://www.expedia.com/rewards/credit_card

points are worth twice a much if you do a vip access hotel.

Never used this method but it sounds very lucrative if you have VIP+ hotels located near your destination.

Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to book on AmexTravel bc i get 2x miles with amex Gold. However, booking flights or hotels on amextravel the tix and stay are pre-paid and non-refundable which sux. Now that i can get 2x miles for booking thru the carrier, I will just do that instead since the tix are cheaper and more flexible. Or i will book with my Hyatt instead for 2x pts and pts have good value. 

However if you have the PRG, you can get 4x miles booking thru amextravel and 3x miles booking thru carrier which is a good deal either way. 

Message 12 of 30
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:
@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
Theres never a universal answer. Sometimes one portal is cheaper and sometimes a different one will be. You have to compare before each booking. No portal always wins.

I will say ive heard the UR portal is expensive and they advertise the "20 percent discount" to entice booking but it doesn't mean its a good deal. Chase wants you to use their portal no matter what as does Amex. Bottom line is check your prices every time, and realize these companies exist to make money, not to give you the best deal each and every time.

which i did ... problem is i have neither Barclay Arrival, Chase Sapphire or Amex Platinum or Gold and trying to decide and ask which you guys would think would get you more for booking your travels online. 

$665 Expedia + Barclay Arrival 2.1 x miles

o

$780 AmexConnect 2x MR points Amex Platinum / Gold Premier  

or 

$780 ChaseUltimateTravel 2x UR

or 

$790 AmexTravel 2x UR

Well, if you are going to consider using Platinum for booking, with the $400+ AF, does $10 make a difference? I think that's part of the "buy the perks" package?

Why not just use your existing QS on the Expedia site, save the $100+ right off the bat, get 1.5% cash immediately, and no AF, no FTF?

What is that AMEX in your siggy second row?

Agreed. I would not get too choked up about $10.

i guess amex platinum, chase sapphire, barclay arrival for those who dont already have 2% cash back or 2x point card and no foreign transaction fee cards...  thought these would be travel cards so why not use them to book your travels than using quicksilver or citi double ? the amex in my siggy is 1% cash back elan financial cash rewards american express and first national bank of omaha. $10 is big deal if you're using your platinum, Chase Sapphire to earn points. How long will it take for you to earn $10 worth of MR points or UR points? $500. $10 is $500. That's $500 less than i have to spend to earn 1,000 MR or UR points. 

Ok, but you do realize your existing Quicksilver is all that? 1.5% cash back, No Foreign Transaction Fee, No Annual Fee, plus which, it's in your wallet today, right now.

The difference between 1.5% Cash Back on the QS right now, vs 2% you might get from all those other cards is $3.50 on your $700 ticket. But you already said you can get  Expedia for $665, the same ticket, right?

You post a lot of numbers and proof for your posts, to backup the calculations you are doing but you aren't factoring in the annual fee of all those other "Special Travel Cards!" that every one drools over. You need to take a look at your QuickSilver, it will answer for 90% of the benefits you want to get, with no annual fee Smiley Happy No Annual Fee puts it miles ahead of all those other cards, because that 1.5% on QuickSilver doesn't get the life sucked out of it by a $95 or $200 or $450 Annual Fee.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 30
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:
@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
Theres never a universal answer. Sometimes one portal is cheaper and sometimes a different one will be. You have to compare before each booking. No portal always wins.

I will say ive heard the UR portal is expensive and they advertise the "20 percent discount" to entice booking but it doesn't mean its a good deal. Chase wants you to use their portal no matter what as does Amex. Bottom line is check your prices every time, and realize these companies exist to make money, not to give you the best deal each and every time.

which i did ... problem is i have neither Barclay Arrival, Chase Sapphire or Amex Platinum or Gold and trying to decide and ask which you guys would think would get you more for booking your travels online. 

$665 Expedia + Barclay Arrival 2.1 x miles

o

$780 AmexConnect 2x MR points Amex Platinum / Gold Premier  

or 

$780 ChaseUltimateTravel 2x UR

or 

$790 AmexTravel 2x UR

Well, if you are going to consider using Platinum for booking, with the $400+ AF, does $10 make a difference? I think that's part of the "buy the perks" package?

Why not just use your existing QS on the Expedia site, save the $100+ right off the bat, get 1.5% cash immediately, and no AF, no FTF?

What is that AMEX in your siggy second row?

Agreed. I would not get too choked up about $10.

i guess amex platinum, chase sapphire, barclay arrival for those who dont already have 2% cash back or 2x point card and no foreign transaction fee cards...  thought these would be travel cards so why not use them to book your travels than using quicksilver or citi double ? the amex in my siggy is 1% cash back elan financial cash rewards american express and first national bank of omaha. $10 is big deal if you're using your platinum, Chase Sapphire to earn points. How long will it take for you to earn $10 worth of MR points or UR points? $500. $10 is $500. That's $500 less than i have to spend to earn 1,000 MR or UR points. 

Ok, but you do realize your existing Quicksilver is all that? 1.5% cash back, No Foreign Transaction Fee, No Annual Fee, plus which, it's in your wallet today, right now.

The difference between 1.5% Cash Back on the QS right now, vs 2% you might get from all those other cards is $3.50 on your $700 ticket. But you already said you can get  Expedia for $665, the same ticket, right?

You post a lot of numbers and proof for your posts, to backup the calculations you are doing but you aren't factoring in the annual fee of all those other "Special Travel Cards!" that every one drools over. You need to take a look at your QuickSilver, it will answer for 90% of the benefits you want to get, with no annual fee Smiley Happy No Annual Fee puts it miles ahead of all those other cards, because that 1.5% on QuickSilver doesn't get the life sucked out of it by a $95 or $200 or $450 Annual Fee.

Excellent post. Agreed 100%. OP, I'd just probably go with your QS on the travel site with the best deal.

Message 14 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I used to book on AmexTravel bc i get 2x miles with amex Gold. However, booking flights or hotels on amextravel the tix and stay are pre-paid and non-refundable which sux. Now that i can get 2x miles for booking thru the carrier, I will just do that instead since the tix are cheaper and more flexible. Or i will book with my Hyatt instead for 2x pts and pts have good value. 

However if you have the PRG, you can get 4x miles booking thru amextravel and 3x miles booking thru carrier which is a good deal either way. 

Premier rewards gold gets you 4x MR when you use it to book your fights through amextravel or amexconnect ? $780 x4 . I was thinking citi expedia card because it seems ill still earn more just now mr points but $$$. Save booking on discounted sites. Still trying weigh in. I think amex charge cards great as it is. Membership status and benefits (pp lounges, $200 airfare credit, hotel gold status etc...)  not for purchasing because so far im not saving anything when using charge cards to purchase my flights or vacation or maybe i just dont know how to use it. For $200 gold i expect to earn 2x points dinning restaurants abroad unlike $95 chase sapphire which does include dinning abroad. 

Message 15 of 30
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Premier rewards gold gets you 4x MR when you use it to book your fights through amextravel or amexconnect ? $780 x4 . I was thinking citi expedia card because it seems ill still earn more just now mr points but $$$. Save booking on discounted sites. Still trying weigh in. I think amex charge cards great as it is. Membership status and benefits (pp lounges, $200 airfare credit, hotel gold status etc...)  not for purchasing because so far im not saving anything when using charge cards to purchase my flights or vacation or maybe i just dont know how to use it. For $200 gold i expect to earn 2x points dinning restaurants abroad unlike $95 chase sapphire which does include dinning abroad. 

PRG specifically says 2x on US Restaurants only.

I used my Chase Hyatt card at restaurants in Panama and got 2x Hyatt points, which is over 3% rewards value. (and FWIW, a colleague from Belgium at the exact same dinner was told "We don't take AMEX" so he had to find $60 cash to pay for his portion.)

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 16 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

PRG specifically says 2x on US Restaurants only.

I used my Chase Hyatt card at restaurants in Panama and got 2x Hyatt points, which is over 3% rewards value. (and FWIW, a colleague from Belgium at the exact same dinner was told "We don't take AMEX" so he had to find $60 cash to pay for his portion.)

Read me wrong... i said i would expect it to cover dinning abroad paying $200 when i can pay half and get 2x using chase sapphire abroad when i eating out. So i need find other reasons for using gold besides status and membership benefits. I use credit cards to save money not to add perks that eventually costs money (maybe thats why everyone telling me to use quicksilver to purchase my flights). Can get a amex platinum without a $3,500 bill and still enjoy the same benefits as everyone else who has an american express platinum. 

Message 17 of 30
medo
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How are you getting 4x MR via AMEX Travel?  I saw someone post this before but when I inquired with AMEX about it, they said it is a max of x3, not x4.

Would you mind sharing some insight on this?

Message 18 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@medo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How are you getting 4x MR via AMEX Travel?  I saw someone post this before but when I inquired with AMEX about it, they said it is a max of x3, not x4.

Thats what i thought too. I was referring what someone else said. Perhaps im not a point guy. I like cash. I did get an offer from amex for blue cash everydah $150 cash back when i spend $500. I also got the 25k MR bonus when i spend $2,000 on everday no annual fee card. But thats points. Point seems so confusing for a guy who not good with numbers or math my worst subject. Maybe thats how they make money like booking on amextravel you get more points but also costs $10 more so you really not getting the MR points you think you're getting. AMEX is getting them. Afterall, amex is great for perks and status but for purchasing fkights im going to use a different card. 

2x miles. 2 x MR poinys. 2 x UR points or just plain 2% cash back Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 30
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@medo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thats what i thought too. I was referring what someone else said. Perhaps im not a point guy. I like cash. I did get an offer from amex for blue cash everydah $150 cash back when i spend $500. I also got the 25k MR bonus when i spend $2,000 on everday no annual fee card. But thats points. Point seems so confusing for a guy who not good with numbers or math my worst subject. Maybe thats how they make money

2x miles. 2 x MR poinys. 2 x UR points or just plain 2% cash back Smiley Happy

You already have a DC for 2% back, though, and no worrying about points with it...it's just a straight 2%!

I think you should probably dial back a bit and stick to cash if points are giving you a headache. Just like yesterday with the balance transfer thread I think you are putting more thought into this than you probably need to. I'm not saying that to be rude, but for every program, there's someone who benefits from it and someone who doesn't. I have no interest/use for MR points because I don't want to take the time to compare prices, transfer points, etc, but for others they are a godsend. If you prefer cash back, stick with it.

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.