Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chasefreedom

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chasefreedom

Until reading this thread, I never knew anything about a 3% deal on Chase Freedom.  So, I went to my Chase login page and down near the bottow before you log in there is a small ad for Freedom 3% Offer.  You have to enroll and then you'll see the following:

Earn 3% Cash Back for every eligible dollar you spend on purchases between January 1st and March 31st on the following categories:

• Dining
  • Education
  • Childcare
  • Utilities

Not sure what happens after March 31.  Will categories change?  Right now I see no way to select the current categories.

Message 21 of 41
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

The way it's supposed to work is that you register for the 3% categories, and that's where you get your 3% back during that quarter, as long as the charges are reported correctly. You don't pick one or more; you just sign up.

It used to be that Freedom paid back 3% in one's own highest 3 categories, but that seems to be over now, at least for most of us.

And for an unlucky few like me, they don't ever kick in. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 22 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
The way it's supposed to work is that you register for the 3% categories, and that's where you get your 3% back during that quarter, as long as the charges are reported correctly. You don't pick one or more; you just sign up.

It used to be that Freedom paid back 3% in one's own highest 3 categories, but that seems to be over now, at least for most of us.

And for an unlucky few like me, they don't ever kick in. Smiley Tongue

Have you tried going to the Chase homepage https://www.chase.com/Chase.html ? 

Down near the bottom slightly to the left of center page is an icon that says "Earn 3% Cash Back With Chase Freedom ... Learn More."  Clicking on that lead me to the login page again and a popup to sign up for the program.

Message 23 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still have the 3% in my own highest categories but I also received the email offer to sign up for those other four categories. I nosed around with the link that they sent me and saw that it was an optional switch which I then ignored. I love my freedom card and have not had the rate jacks or any problems with getting or keeping my categories (I still get those bonus categories too) . After reading this post it makes me wonder is there a difference if you are also a banking customer, or did the freedom terms change and I was grandfathered in? I've had the freedom since Sep 08 for time comparison.

Message 24 of 41
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

O6 wrote:

Have you tried going to the Chase homepage https://www.chase.com/Chase.html ? 

Down near the bottom slightly to the left of center page is an icon that says "Earn 3% Cash Back With Chase Freedom ... Learn More."  Clicking on that lead me to the login page again and a popup to sign up for the program.

Yep. I've clicked on it more times than I can count. I always get the message that it doesn't recognize my info; something like that. CSR's have confirmed that someone has to flip a switch to make an account eligible.

I noticed the other day that at the bottom of my screen, in pale grey letters, it states that not all accounts have the 3% option.

I wish they'd switched me to a plain-vanilla plat card instead of a crippled Freedom card. Oh, well.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 25 of 41
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

Ok I guess I am one of the few that has been grandfathered in.  Nonetheless, I'm still a little upset with Chase right now.  Typically I get 3% cashback on the top 3 categories that I "spend" the most money in.  Well on this statement, I got 3% on the categories that had the most transaction (it just so happens that 2 of the 3 were the categories I spent the most money in).  I say this because I used my Chase card for some car repairs which were my largest transaction.  I only got 1% back on that.  I'm a little confused as to why it wasn't one of my top 3.   The other 2 categories were correct. 
Message 26 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Romeoo47 wrote:
Ok I guess I am one of the few that has been grandfathered in.  Nonetheless, I'm still a little upset with Chase right now.  Typically I get 3% cashback on the top 3 categories that I "spend" the most money in.  Well on this statement, I got 3% on the categories that had the most transaction (it just so happens that 2 of the 3 were the categories I spent the most money in).  I say this because I used my Chase card for some car repairs which were my largest transaction.  I only got 1% back on that.  I'm a little confused as to why it wasn't one of my top 3.   The other 2 categories were correct. 

This is from the Chase website:

You earn 3% cash back automatically on purchases in the 3 everyday categories where you spend the most each month.* There are 15 categories in all. Your spending habits may change from month to month — the triple rewards you earn for them will stay the same. You also earn 1% cash back per dollar on all other purchases. Here are the categories:

• Gas Stations & Convenience Stores
  • Grocery Stores
  • Quick Service & Fast Food Restaurants
  • Utilities (Gas, Electric, etc.)
  • Drugstores
  • Cable/Satellite TV & Internet Providers
  • Department Stores
  • Pet Stores & Veterinarian
  • Phone/Cell Phone Bills
  • Movie Theatres
  • Gym Memberships
  • Beauty Salons & Spas
  • Movie Rentals
  • Dry Cleaners
  • Local Commuting

Automobile repairs are not included in any of the top 15 spending categories. 

Message 27 of 41
Cstl05
Contributor

How is chase with Cli's?  how hard would it be to get from 4450 to 10000?

Chase Sapphire Reserve/Chase Sapphire Preferred/Ritz Carlton/Chase Freedom/Amex Blue Cash/Discover IT/Capital One Quicksilver/Bank of America Cash Rewards/Citi Costco/Citi Double Cash/Barclay Apple Rewards
Message 28 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Romeoo47 wrote:

You earn 3% cash back automatically on purchases in the 3 everyday categories where you spend the most each month.* There are 15 categories in all. Your spending habits may change from month to month — the triple rewards you earn for them will stay the same. You also earn 1% cash back per dollar on all other purchases. Here are the categories:

• Grocery Stores
  • Drugstores
  • Department Stores
  • Phone/Cell Phone Bills
  • Movie Theatres
  • Gym Memberships
  • Beauty Salons & Spas
  • Movie Rentals
  • Dry Cleaners
  • Local Commuting

Link, please.
Message 29 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Romeoo47 wrote:

• Grocery Stores
  • Drugstores
  • Department Stores
  • Phone/Cell Phone Bills
  • Movie Theatres
  • Gym Memberships
  • Beauty Salons & Spas
  • Movie Rentals
  • Dry Cleaners
  • Local Commuting

Link, please.

This information is from the "Chase Online" website (for existing Chase customers) .  I logged in to view my Chase Freedom account information, and then clicked "Reward Details."  Therefore, I can't provide you with a link. 

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.