Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chasing "balance"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chasing "balance"

The answer may be in those two words but just curious if I have a $10,000 credit line that I don't use has anyone ever seen the issuer lower the available credit for non use or very little use?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Re: Chasing "balance"

Yes it does happen esp during hard economic times such as during the last recession. A lot of members on this forum including myself had CL reduced. Certain lenders are more prone to do this ie: AX than others ie; CO. AX reduced my CL on both of my cards while CO did not. Also some lenders have policy where they will cancel your acct for non-usage during a certain time frame. This is esp true with certain store cards. Zales did this to me after approx 2 yrs of non-use.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 2 of 10
ddemari
Super Contributor

I think that chasing a balance is a little different than non-activity. 

The banks that give you a $10k CL dont expect you to use it up, they want you to use it and pay it off. Then start the cycle again.

If you are being balance chased, this will happen for example; I owe Barclays a balance of $1,000.00 that I am  revolving, my limit is $2,000.00. Barclays reduces my limits to $1,000.00 and chases me as I pay off the balance.

Non-activity balance lowering or closing out can be avoided by making purchases every so often. 

Message 3 of 10
taxi818
Super Contributor

@ddemari wrote:

I think that chasing a balance is a little different than non-activity. 

The banks that give you a $10k CL dont expect you to use it up, they want you to use it and pay it off. Then start the cycle again.

If you are being balance chased, this will happen for example; I owe Barclays a balance of $1,000.00 that I am  revolving, my limit is $2,000.00. Barclays reduces my limits to $1,000.00 and chases me as I pay off the balance.

Non-activity balance lowering or closing out can be avoided by making purchases every so often. 

^^^^+1 exactly

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys, I don't need all of my cards they just have high limits here and there I'll put 400$ on a 10,000 card I just don't want them lowering my limit I typically pif each month after my balance reports. I just enjoy having high limits :/
Message 5 of 10
GoldSorata
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks guys, I don't need all of my cards they just have high limits here and there I'll put 400$ on a 10,000 card I just don't want them lowering my limit I typically pif each month after my balance reports. I just enjoy having high limits :/

You could just pay a netflix bill on a $10k CC and be fine. As long as you don't pose yourself as a risk to the creditor they should leave you alone. In fact, what they'd prob start doing in that case is send you more offers (BT offers, etc.) to entice you to use more of it.

Message 6 of 10
ddemari
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Duh!! lol! We all love high limits Smiley Happy

I think you are doing exactly what you should be doing. 

Message 7 of 10
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
The answer may be in those two words but just curious if I have a $10,000 credit line that I don't use has anyone ever seen the issuer lower the available credit for non use or very little use?

This is refered to as CLD (Credit Limit Decrease).   Some lenders/products are known for CLDs or account closures for lack of use.   You may want to use your CC periodically to help prevent this.  

"Balance chasing" is a very specific form of CLD.   This is a form of AA where a lender will CLD to an amount equal to or barely higher than the balance.  This is to prevent further spend.   Unfortunately, this also can raise UTIL quite a bit and lower scores, as a result.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've heard some horror stories of people's limit being lowered simply because they didn't use anything near their total available. Just wanted to be safe Smiley Happy thanks guys
Message 9 of 10
ddemari
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I've heard some horror stories of people's limit being lowered simply because they didn't use anything near their total available. Just wanted to be safe Smiley Happy thanks guys

A story like that could have more to it that someone might not want to disclose. You can definitely have a card closed for non-activity. But, a bank is probably not going to reduce your credit limit on a card because you do not use all of that limit. Consumers who default often tend to use a magority of their credit extended to them. This causes creditors to red flag you. Banks tend to decrease your limit when they find you a risk, the decrease in limit comes from them not wanting to risk the possible loss of money on you. 

Banks rely a lot on data and analytics given to them through services and even when we buy items. The banks are trying to know who is a money maker for them and who is a loser to them in terms of default. You might see a bank increase your credit limit when you are not using more than say 10-20% of it because they want shift your thinking in order to use their card more. I

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.