Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheaply made credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheaply made credit cards?

Is it just me or are credit cards these days more cheaply made than in the past?

I've only had my Citi DC card for about 4 months and it's already falling apeat. Likewise, i've only had my United Mileage Plus Explorer for a month and the back is already faded.

Anyone else experiencing these issues with their cards?

The one card that I have that never seems to get damaged is the Discover It.

Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55
bch238
Regular Contributor

Re: Cheaply made credit cards?

The graphics on the "front" of my Citi Prestige is getting scaped off.  This has happened with an original and its replacement over the course of three months.

FICO Scores (MARCH 2016): EQ 829; EX 825; TU 828
AmEx BCP $25,000; AmEx Platinum (NPSL); Barclaycard JetBlue Rewards $5,000; Bank of America Cash Rewards $27,500; Chase Sapphire Preferred $33,700; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier $15,000; Chase Freedom $12,000; Citi Prestige $30,500; Virgin America Premium $25,000; The Home Depot Card $20,500; Capital One Platinum $15,000
Message 2 of 56
onstar
Established Contributor

Flimsiest card is the Amazon Store Card. Since you won't ever have to really use the physical card, they just give you a laminated paper card. Ok, so this doesn't really count.

From the rest of my lineup, the Chase IHG Card is definitely the most lightweight. Oh, also the Banana Republic Visa Card. It's a tie between these two.

For some reason, my BofA debit card is somehow problematic. About once every 18 months, the magnetic strip goes bad. And they will charge me $5 to replace it. I've had to change it out like 5x already in the past 7-8 years. C'mon BofA! Why The Face (a la Phil Dunphy)???

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 3 of 56
sarahlee7
New Contributor

My new FIDELITY Amex feels extremely cheap...paper thin and flimsy...but the usefulness of the card itself makes up for it I reckon.

Message 4 of 56
ddemari
Super Contributor

+1 on banana republic. Garbage quality
Message 5 of 56
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it just me or are credit cards these days more cheaply made than in the past?

I've only had my Citi DC card for about 4 months and it's already falling apeat. Likewise, i've only had my United Mileage Plus Explorer for a month and the back is already faded.

Is your United Card plastic or Metal?

I have been noticing that Chase platic cards are thin and cheap looking, like those fake promo cards you get sent.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 6 of 56
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@onstar wrote:

Flimsiest card is the Amazon Store Card. Since you won't ever have to really use the physical card, they just give you a laminated paper card. Ok, so this doesn't really count.

From the rest of my lineup, the Chase IHG Card is definitely the most lightweight. Oh, also the Banana Republic Visa Card. It's a tie between these two.

For some reason, my BofA debit card is somehow problematic. About once every 18 months, the magnetic strip goes bad. And they will charge me $5 to replace it. I've had to change it out like 5x already in the past 7-8 years. C'mon BofA! Why The Face (a la Phil Dunphy)???

Paypal Smart Connect. I don't even think it's laminated. Smiley Tongue 

Message 7 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one cards minus the Venture. I'm hoping the quicksilver emv cards are better quality-wise.

Message 8 of 56
ddemari
Super Contributor

United chase visa signature is my worst, flimiest looking chase card for sure
Message 9 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sjt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is your United Card plastic or Metal?

I have been noticing that Chase platic cards are thin and cheap looking, like those fake promo cards you get sent.

It's plastic. I long for a metal card.

Message 10 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.