Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheaply made credit cards?

tag
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Re: Cheaply made credit cards?

Mine are all ok.  DiscoverIT and Chase Freedome cards seem thicket and more durable than any of my other cards.

You can see its sandwiched plastic, for discover its orange on the inside and grayblue on the top and bottom pieces.  Chase is similar but green in the middle and blue on both faces of the card.

The rest of my cards all feel and look the same.  I dont know if Discover or Chase ARE any bigger, but they feel heavier and thicker.

Message 21 of 56
I-think-I-can
Valued Contributor

My Quicksilver One is horrible! Numbers printed on and looks like it would rub off..and flimsy to boot! My Merrick and Credit One are better made. LOL..now that's sad!

Starting Scores 2/13/15: EQ 635 EX 674 TU 684 ////7/16/15 Scores: EQ 661 EX 669 TU 703 //// 2/15/16 Scores EQ 652 EX 647 TU 756 //// 3/24/16 Scores: EQ 661 EX 649 TU 773 //// EQ 670 EX 653 TU 768 (EQ And EX still tainted)
Goal Scores: 760 across the board
Message 22 of 56
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

I don't have any that are falling apart.  These are consumable items produced in massive quantities that expire within a given timeframe so I'm not surprised that they're generally made as cheaply as possible.

Message 23 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MstrPTato wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MstrPTato wrote:

NASA seems to be up there on the junk list. Amex needs to do something with the silver square on the ED.

I actually like the way the ED looks. My issue with it is finding it in my wallet because it's see through. I'm constantly digging for that thing. I even have a hard time seeing it in the rare times that I actually put it back into it's slot!

Comparing my other cards to the thick, sturdy ones that my CU uses, the only one that stands out as being thinner, and is noticeably thinner if I look at the edge of it compared to my CU cards, is my Paypal debit card. It's been holding up great though, never any issues with it. My husband's QS1 on the other hand feels very flimsy to me. I'm curious to see how long it takes before it starts falling apart, he's very rough on cards in general.  

I like the looks...its that square that seems to scratch up and rub off.

Ah...gotcha. I haven't had mine long enough for it to do that. I did notice that the very edge of the square looks like it has some coating over it that can peel off though. Bummer Smiley Sad 

Message 24 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have actually been questioned by clerks on whether my Quicksilver is a real credit card....

Message 25 of 56
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it just me or are credit cards these days more cheaply made than in the past?

I've only had my Citi DC card for about 4 months and it's already falling apeat. Likewise, i've only had my United Mileage Plus Explorer for a month and the back is already faded.

Anyone else experiencing these issues with their cards?

The one card that I have that never seems to get damaged is the Discover It.

I completely agree that the Citi DoubleCash is cheap. Mine came out of the envelope looking like crap. Also, I've had to have my AMEX BCE replaced multiple times because it starts coming apart in layers (I have the card with Expresspay). My Discover, BoA, and Barclaycards have held up pretty well, however.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 26 of 56
bigDEElight
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Capital one cards minus the Venture. I'm hoping the quicksilver emv cards are better quality-wise.

Ditto *ignores the rest about the Venture seeings as I just saw that I have a pre-qual for it*

EQ: 706 TU: 716 EX: 708
Total: $91,700 | 2016 Goal: $95K | Utilization: 8%
Message 27 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

"For some reason, my BofA debit card is somehow problematic. About once every 18 months, the magnetic strip goes bad. And they will charge me $5 to replace it. I've had to change it out like 5x already in the past 7-8 years. C'mon BofA! Why The Face (a la Phil Dunphy)???"

What I have noticed, not only with BoA cards but other cards as well is leaving a card in your wallet over time causes the magnetic strip to go bad. It seems the leather from the wallet rubs up against the strip causing it to lose its effectiveness. Any kind of protection you can give the card from rubbing up against the leather in the wallet works.IE card sleeve.  

Message 28 of 56
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

"For some reason, my BofA debit card is somehow problematic. About once every 18 months, the magnetic strip goes bad. And they will charge me $5 to replace it. I've had to change it out like 5x already in the past 7-8 years. C'mon BofA! Why The Face (a la Phil Dunphy)???"

What I have noticed, not only with BoA cards but other cards as well is leaving a card in your wallet over time causes the magnetic strip to go bad. It seems the leather from the wallet rubs up against the strip causing it to lose its effectiveness. Any kind of protection you can give the card from rubbing up against the leather in the wallet works.IE card sleeve.  

They charge to replace a non-working card?

Message 29 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not with me, they even gave me a sleeve. To take this one step further, I purchased some RF blocking sleeves. Very reasonable priced, I believe less than a dollar a sleeve.

Message 30 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.