Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheated the System!

tag
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Re: Cheated the System!

In my opinion OP did nothing wrong.... I would probably do the same. I got Hilton Honors back in Feb, used to get the sign up bonus, last week I got my 3X CLI and now I am thinking of moving to a different no AF fee card ( If Amex lets me PC )

Congrats to OP!!!!!!!!!!!! Smiley Happy

Message 31 of 37
Open123
Super Contributor

Wow, what an interesting thread.

In my view, ethics is too serious a word to apply with financial institutions.  Let's not forget, these are the guys who propogated the credit crisis with CDOs, encouraged home owners to lie on the income for the loan assuming real estate collateral will never fall only to stick us "taxpayers" with the bill.

Cheesy would be a better word.  What the OP did was "cheesy."  But, who cares?  Amex, Chase and any issuer who doesn't like it can close his account, blacklist him and never offer bonuses again, such as Wells Fargo.

If Amex is offering a free $500 for a mere click of the button.  To what end would one not take it?  What purpose would it be to have good credit if not to derive financial benefit?  

For the person who refuses to take $500 with no strings attached, the word I have to describe this person wouldn't be "ethical."  Smiley Wink

Message 32 of 37
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Reconing multiple times is not taking advantage of the CSRs. No matter what you say the CSR can decline you all day. You have no advantage over them other than plead your case.

Ok im done with this thread Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 33 of 37
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Ahahha@open123. You got it bro!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 34 of 37
drkaje
Senior Contributor

"Ain't nobody got time....", LOL!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 35 of 37
WarJar101
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Wow, what an interesting thread.

In my view, ethics is too serious a word to apply with financial institutions.  Let's not forget, these are the guys who propogated the credit crisis with CDOs, encouraged home owners to lie on the income for the loan assuming real estate collateral will never fall only to stick us "taxpayers" with the bill.

Cheesy would be a better word.  What the OP did was "cheesy."  But, who cares?  Amex, Chase and any issuer who doesn't like it can close his account, blacklist him and never offer bonuses again, such as Wells Fargo.

If Amex is offering a free $500 for a mere click of the button.  To what end would one not take it?  What purpose would it be to have good credit if not to derive financial benefit?  

For the person who refuses to take $500 with no strings attached, the word I have to describe this person wouldn't be "ethical."  Smiley Wink

===============================================================

Prententiousness? Idk...lmao. Anyway, my brother you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence, much respect.

Rebuilding...been out of the game for a minute. Now, after suffering I'm back with greater wisdom. Scores: Currently @ around 6 teens to 20's, across all three EQ,TU, EX
Message 36 of 37
zeusta20
Established Contributor

I wouldn't call it cheating the system. What was done, was completely legit. Just like others have posted, the credit card companies know things like this can happen. This "loophole" (if you even wanna call it that) is not something that couldn't easily be avoided.

Just like Chase, if you sign up for a checking acct, and get direct deposit, they give you 150.00. If you close the account within 6 months, they take it back. The bonus is also considered as interest, and is reported to the IRS. So is CHASE cheating the system because IN THE END, you're not getting your 150 bonus because its going to be taxed? No, I don't think so. It is what it is.

Why are AF assessed anyways? To make money off of the consumer. Is that considered cheating the consumer? MOst people would say "no" because its part of agreement since the beginning. Well....So is the sign up bonus. They could put a plan in place if they wanted to, but they didn't. All the credit card companies want is to gain customers. They're all fighting for our business.

In the end, credit card companies are going to do whats best for credit card companies, and consumers are going to do whats best for consumers. Its all done in business.

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.