tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Check your Synchrony Cards for Fraud

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@JSS3 wrote:
Yeah, I was hit on my Xtras about 7 days ago. I believe from "Belk" and "tatas" for about $200. Logged in on the day it showed up and called up Syn. They are sending the new one. Bummer it has to report as a new account and ding my AAoA.

When this sort of thing happens, and it's caught before it posts, the theif doesn't end up getting the money, correct? The chargeback results in Synchrony not losing their money?

Card replacements don't count as new accounts. Your history and age stay the same, your account number is the only thing that changes. 

Unfortunately Synchrony is an outlier.... in the past people have reported that for a lost card Synch would close the existing account then report the new card number as a brand-new account.  Smiley Frustrated

Lately reports have been mixed, though, so hopefully they're getting this fixed.  YMMV.

If they're reporting an already-established account as a new account, they are violating FCRA. 

I'm not an expert on all things FCRA; @RobertEG is our resident expert on the legal nitty-gritty and can possibly shed some light on the legal in's and out's of Synchrony's actions.  Of course I'm on the side of a new account number not reporting as a new trade line if it's due to a lost or stolen card.

I'm just reporting here what many people's real-world experiences have been.

Message 21 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.