Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking Credit Card Accounts Several Times Daily

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Checking Credit Card Accounts Several Times Daily

I find myself logging into my 11 credit cards, checking and savings account several times a day( as long as I'm at my office or home computers).  It's like an addiction.  I also check my EQ and EX reports daily since I get free access.   I have no reasons for checking my information constantly.  It's not like activity on the accounts are changing throughout the day.

Is it possible I'm suffering from identity theft phobia?

Message Edited by DI on 12-03-2009 09:43 PM
Message Edited by DI on 12-05-2009 02:02 PM
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

Re: Checking Credit Cards Accounts Several Times Daily

WOW! I thought I was the only one doing that Smiley Very Happy that's like the first thing I do when I get into the office, I log into all my accounts, It's almost like I'm expecting to see something different..

FICO EQ:627 TU:673 EX:649 PLUS

AMEX Platinum NPSL | AMEX Zync NPSL | AMEX Delta Platinum $4000 | Travelocity Amex $4000 | CapOne No Hassle Rewards $2500 | BBRZ MC $800 | Local CU Visa $1000 | Kay $2000 | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $5000 | Chase Marriott Rewards $5000 | BankAmericard Travel Rewards Visa $7000 | Discover IT $1000
In the garden until 10/2014
Message 2 of 26
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It's more likely that you're suffering from I've-done-a-bunch-of-credit-hunting-and-now-I'm-having-to-do-credit-gardening-for-a-while-and-I-don't-know-what-to-do-with-all-this-energy neurosis. Smiley Very Happy

When you've done a planned and targeted attack on credit, and you've succeeded in most of your goals, it can be hard to know what to do with yourself afterwards. This is actually a tamer version of what military personnel go through when they come back home from active duty. They're used to being on guard 24/7, and it's really hard to just settle back and let things be.

It might be time to pick up a second hobby. Otherwise, you run the risk of damaging what you have by compulsive tweaking. I believe you've already done the CLI bit, right? Smiley Wink

eta: I still check all my accounts, credit and banking, once daily, and I balance my checkbook daily. But just once. I'd hate to have anyone think that I was nutty, or something! Smiley Very Happy
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 12-03-2009 07:52 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 26
DI
Super Contributor

By the way...I also check my budget spreadsheet daily.  I do all the account checking while at work.
Message 4 of 26
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

It's not like activity on the accounts are changing throughout the day.

Probably not but I see nothing wrong in checking all my accounts everyday. That might be a little excessive but I prefer that method as opposed  to looking at all of them once a month or less often as some do and as I used to do. 

Message 5 of 26
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Well, I don't know about you, but I'm ADHD, and I have to see, and touch, and feel, and taste things over and over before I believe that I've really done what I meant to do.

It can be pretty exhausting, which is why I do as much as possible on line, with a rigid calendar for a guideline. Otherwise, i'd be a complete fruitcake.

I'm all about KISS (keep it simple, stupid.)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 26
DI
Super Contributor

I have all my accounts bookmarked in a folder on my computers.  So that help keep things simple for me.   But sometimes when the computers I use doesn't hold my username and passwords it causes a big mess.  I forget the username and password associated with a particular account.  Unfortunately, I was not able to use the same username and passwords for more than 11 accounts.  So one of the benefits of logging into my account everyday is to help me remember my passwords for the accounts.  I do not write them down anywhere. 
Message 7 of 26
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I don't know about you, but I'm ADHD, and I have to see, and touch, and feel, and taste things over and over before I believe that I've really done what I meant to do.

Let's see. My keys are lined up large to small with all of them turned the same way. The bills in my wallet (when I have any Smiley Happy) are all facing left, sorted by denomination and all turned exactly the same way. The shirts in my closet are separated with short sleeve on the left and long sleeve on the right, all facing to the left. The laces on my shoes are all left over right.

HELP!!!  LOL

We all have our crosses to bear. I understand completely.

Message 8 of 26
laz98
Senior Contributor

DI, you & i seem to handle our finances exactly the same way!  i check everything daily, typically 3 times.
Message 9 of 26
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

marinevietvet wrote:

Let's see. My keys are lined up large to small with all of them turned the same way. The bills in my wallet (when I have any Smiley Happy) are all facing left, sorted by denomination and all turned exactly the same way. The shirts in my closet are separated with short sleeve on the left and long sleeve on the right, all facing to the left. The laces on my shoes are all left over right.

HELP!!!  LOL

We all have our crosses to bear. I understand completely.

You sound kinda OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder.) I only wish I had that level of drive and organization. I just live with panic just around the corner, and I've learned for self-preservation that some things have to be done.

That being said, all my clothes go on hangers with the hook facing the same way, and I take a half hour to eat a bag of peanut M&M's due to the necessity of keeping the colors balanced out. So maybe we're closer than I thought! Smiley Very Happy

btw, it's probably not a good sign that one of my favorite movies is "As Good As It Gets." I'd like to think that I'm the Carol Connelly character, but in my darker days, I suspect I'm closer to Melvin Udall. Smiley Tongue Minus the hair dye, of course.
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.