Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking Credit Card Accounts Several Times Daily

tag
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: Checking Credit Cards Accounts Several Times Daily

DI wrote: 
I do all the account checking while at work.

If you are doing all the account checking 3 times a day (11 accounts), plus work on your budget spreadsheet at work, it probably means you are wasting 1-2 hours per day (12-25% of the work day), and that's ignoring other stuff that you may be doing during the day (myFICO, ebay, Amazon, other sites).  Perhaps your employer is fine with that, but if I was a company I'd think that is a little excessive.  Not judging your case, just an observation in general.

Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gibran wrote:

WOW! I thought I was the only one doing that Smiley Very Happy that's like the first thing I do when I get into the office, I log into all my accounts, It's almost like I'm expecting to see something different..

FICO EQ:627 TU:673 EX:649 PLUS

I'm also guilty of this.  I've been seriously thinking about trying to find a support group LOL  Or even someone else in my area to yap about credit to.  My family and friends are getting pretty tired of hearing about it.  =/

Message 12 of 26
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

You sound kinda OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder.)

Have you been reading my VA file?   Smiley Surprised

There are lots of Vietnam vets just like me.

Message 13 of 26
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:   btw, it's probably not a good sign that one of my favorite movies is "As Good As It Gets." I'd like to think that I'm the Carol Connelly character, but in my darker days, I suspect I'm closer to Melvin Udall. Smiley Tongue Minus the hair dye, of course.

I quote Melvin Udall to DW frequently.  It drives her bananas, but that's why I do it!  Everybody needs a hobby!!

Image from entertonement.com

Woman: "How do you write women so well?"

Melvin: "I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability." 

Message 14 of 26
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Well...I feel pretty darn "normal" right now...

I check my credit card accounts once each morning. I track my balances and payments due on an Excel spreadsheet. I check investment accounts weekly.

That's it. Wow.

I will say, however, that just in the past month I've found 3 annual automatic renewal charges on things we don't need anymore (computer antivirus, TurboTax, etc.). I HATE having things automatically renew annually, and I've cancelled and gotten refunds on all of them. I never used to be that on top of things. In the old days, I'd have looked at the statement at the end of the month, seen an annual charge like that, and think, "Crap. I have to get that stopped before next year." Now...I do it right away.

What my checking accounts has done is ruin practically any surprise my poor husband tries to pull off. Around my birthday, I'm checking accounts and ask, "Did you charge something at......??" Poor guy. He picked our least-used card to use and thought I wouldn't pay attention to it because we don't use it.

No more surprises for me.

Message 15 of 26
DI
Super Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:

DI wrote: 
I do all the account checking while at work.

If you are doing all the account checking 3 times a day (11 accounts), plus work on your budget spreadsheet at work, it probably means you are wasting 1-2 hours per day (12-25% of the work day), and that's ignoring other stuff that you may be doing during the day (myFICO, ebay, Amazon, other sites).  Perhaps your employer is fine with that, but if I was a company I'd think that is a little excessive.  Not judging your case, just an observation in general.

You are 100% incorrect.  It only take me less than 10 seconds to glance over each account. Also,  I get breaks and I'm more than capable of multitasking.  

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here.  Check the budget spreadsheet, check the cards, setup bill pay and check the investments each day.  I pay down cards several times a month. Somehow I'm only obsessed with CRA checks when I'm on an app'ing spree.  Otherwise, I manage to let Scorewatch and/or Creditchecktotal tell me if something strange has come up.

My other obsession is checking all my online high interest checking accounts since most cap the high interest at $25k.  Making sure I get enough debits and ACH's in each month to qualify for the high interest and make sure I move some money around if I'm close to the $25k limits to ensure I maximize the monthly interest.  It use to be more fun at 5 and 6%.  Now 1.75-2% is pretty **bleep** good.

Message Edited by cantex on 12-04-2009 11:17 AM
Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have all my accounts on Quicken on line. I check on them once a day and leave it at that. I balance my check book each morning. Since I had my Debit Card compromised earlier this year I find that I do pay more attention to my accounts. I try not to perseverate over them too much though.

Oh yea, I always eat my  french fries in pairs, largest to smallest.  Smiley Very Happy

Cheers!

CB

Message Edited by charliebrown1370 on 12-04-2009 11:30 AM
Message 18 of 26
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Oh jeez...I check all mine every day too!  All my cc accts, all my banking...make sure it is what it should be.  I also got rid of every auto renewal.  If I want it, I will buy it!

I also stole HTSU's idea for my accts in my bookmark list.  Instead of the link being called "the mile long oddly named link", it says "Chase 12" as in, Chase visa - statement cuts on the12th!!  So I don't have to continually go & look back at the statement dates.  They are all like that & it's SOOOO Helpful!!!

And the credit reports...if I could get a new one more than once per day...I'd have several!!! 

We're all in the same boat....FICO-Holics to the Nth degree!

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 19 of 26
Woolfman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have all my accounts on Quicken on line. I check on them once a day and leave it at that. I balance my check book each morning. Since I had my Debit Card compromised earlier this year I find that I do pay more attention to my accounts. I try not to perseverate over them too much though.

Oh yea, I always eat my  french fries in pairs, largest to smallest.  Smiley Very Happy

Cheers!

CB

Message Edited by charliebrown1370 on 12-04-2009 11:30 AM

I have started using mint.com for this same thing . Till i read your post about quicken (which i use also) I was thinking man you people are strange. Then after reading this post. I realize i do the same thing just all at once . Both mint.com and quicken online have Iphone apps that i use . I see all the accounts and history and balances at once . So i guess im no different!
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.