cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking/Savings division & Credit Card division.....not one in the same at the Bg Banks

tag
veracious
Established Contributor

Checking/Savings division & Credit Card division.....not one in the same at the Bg Banks

I've never been offered a credit card from  my bank. My checking/savings account was with

LaSalle Bank for many years, they then were aquired by ABN  AMRO who was aquired  by BOA.

Never was offered a credit card by any of these institutions.  Are all big banks operating this way?

My BOA branch manager told me I was a "legacy" account, so maybe I wasn't entitled to the same perks.

I've always had CC'cs but never with my main Bank.

Am I wrong for expecting some offers?

veracious

10 REPLIES 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Checking/Savings division & Credit Card division.....not one in the same at the Bg Banks

There are very few offers compared to previous years.  If you want a particular card, why not apply?

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Checking/Savings division & Credit Card division.....not one in the same at the Bg Banks

@veracious wrote:

I've never been offered a credit card from  my bank. My checking/savings account was with

LaSalle Bank for many years, they then were aquired by ABN  AMRO who was aquired  by BOA.

Never was offered a credit card by any of these institutions.  Are all big banks operating this way?

My BOA branch manager told me I was a "legacy" account, so maybe I wasn't entitled to the same perks.

I've always had CC'cs but never with my main Bank.

Am I wrong for expecting some offers?

veracious

Hi veracious,

I don't think you're wrong for expecting offers.  DH gets offers from USBank with some regularity.  We've been banking with them for about 8 years.

Take note, though, that there are several BofA cardholders that are not at all happy with their current M.O.  There's probably a ton of options out there, and a good deal of them are rating higher with their customers than BofA.

As Wolf3 says, if you're hankering for a particular card, why not apply?

If you let us know what card, or what characteristics in a card appeal to you, and give us a quick overview of what's on your credit reports & score, we might be able to provide some attractive options.

Message 3 of 11
veracious
Established Contributor

Thank for the replies.

I guess some of the big banks haven't  got a clue how to keep customers. I mean, if they

can send pre-approvals  all over the country to people they don't know,  why not me.

I'm going to try the credit unions.  I know FICO prefers you to have a credit card with one of 

the mega banks,but I'll just have to take the score hit.

veracious

Wolf3
Senior Contributor

veracious wrote: 
...   I know FICO prefers you to have a credit card with one of the mega banks,but I'll just have to take the score hit.

veracious

Why do you say  that?    As far as I know the size of the bank does not matter.  

Message 5 of 11
veracious
Established Contributor

Thanks for the info Wolf3.

I  think I read on this site that FICO weighs the major banks-Chase, Citi, BOA, etc. as more influential

than  credit cards from CU's or smaller banks.

I could be wrong, though.

Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Lenders themselves can weigh things any way they want, but I think FICO score is independent of size of underwriter.   Please post if you see that reference again.

However, FICO does give more weight to major card (VISA, MC, Discovery, AMEX) than to store cards.     

Message 7 of 11
veracious
Established Contributor

Wolf3,  I was basing my statement based on the info in this post. There was a post linked by haulingthescoreup.

It was mentioned that the statement was made by My FICO Barry.

I hope you can find the post, because I'm not sure if  I attached the link correctly. Try the link below.

Scoring of credit union cards vs "national" bank cards

veracious

@Wolf3 wrote:

Lenders themselves can weigh things any way they want, but I think FICO score is independent of size of underwriter.   Please post if you see that reference again.

However, FICO does give more weight to major card (VISA, MC, Discovery, AMEX) than to store cards.     

Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I found the posts.   Not very definitive or compelling.   I might open a new topic on it some time.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@veracious wrote:

Thanks for the info Wolf3.

I  think I read on this site that FICO weighs the major banks-Chase, Citi, BOA, etc. as more influential

than  credit cards from CU's or smaller banks.

I could be wrong, though.

FICO does like to see one revolving account (credit card, HELOC or personal LOC) with a bank or national credit card company.  It's FICO reason code #3 "Too few bank revolving accounts".  They don't give a noogies-button what size the bank is, they can be either federal or state chartered banks.  Last time I looked,  there were about 1700 banks listed on http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/lbr/

CU cards are in a different category.  We love our bank and our CU's.  Well, we don't really love them, but we're pretty good buddies with both groups.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.