Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chevron Store Upgrade to Visa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chevron Store Upgrade to Visa

So I was considering closing this card, along with alot of my other store cards at the end of the year because I got approved for much better cards this year (Chase, Amex, etc). I wanted to work towards a higher limit with them, and get rid of the rest to decrease the amount of cards I carry.

However, I just received a letter in the mail that says "Congratulations, you have been upgraded to the Visa Advantage." I know I am super late, but I never even realized they had a visa when I first applied 3 years ago LOL. That made me reconsider keeping this one, but then I looked at the new APR. It was 27.24% with a cash advance APR of 29.99%. Smiley Indifferent None of my cards have an APR this high, not even my other store cards. That is crazy. Might still end up closing it, but if not, I will NOT keep a balance on it.

What do yall think?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Chevron Store Upgrade to Visa

Well congrats on the upgrade, this must be something new or incredibly rare because I have never seen a chevron upgrade around here. Anyhow if you need the card for utilization then keep it around since it has no AF it will do you no harm. Also if it offers any kind rebate or discount on chevron gas then it's ok to keep and PIF when you use it. Either way I'd hold onto it for at least a while and let it build some history, but the choice is yours.

Message 2 of 8
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

That's Synchrony for you, with the Chevron Visa. If you are going to use the fuel credits, maybe you could justify using it. I have the regular Chevron card, use it twice a month, then pif. The interest is brutally high, so, I never apped for the Visa card. Synch has done a nice job with the Marvel card, but beware the closing dates of the gas card! Happy hunting!

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy wrote:

Well congrats on the upgrade, this must be something new or incredibly rare because I have never seen a chevron upgrade around here. Anyhow if you need the card for utilization then keep it around since it has no AF it will do you no harm. Also if it offers any kind rebate or discount on chevron gas then it's ok to keep and PIF when you use it. Either way I'd hold onto it for at least a while and let it build some history, but the choice is yours.

Yeah, I'll probably just hold on to it for a while and let it build some more history. I would just PIF if I use it. I rarely pay attention to the benefits / discounts that they supposedly have though.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Viva-LV wrote:

That's Synchrony for you, with the Chevron Visa. If you are going to use the fuel credits, maybe you could justify using it. I have the regular Chevron card, use it twice a month, then pif. The interest is brutally high, so, I never apped for the Visa card. Synch has done a nice job with the Marvel card, but beware the closing dates of the gas card! Happy hunting!

That's what I'm going to do also. Just PIF each month if use it.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So I was considering closing this card, along with alot of my other store cards at the end of the year because I got approved for much better cards this year (Chase, Amex, etc). I wanted to work towards a higher limit with them, and get rid of the rest to decrease the amount of cards I carry.

However, I just received a letter in the mail that says "Congratulations, you have been upgraded to the Visa Advantage." I know I am super late, but I never even realized they had a visa when I first applied 3 years ago LOL. That made me reconsider keeping this one, but then I looked at the new APR. It was 27.24% with a cash advance APR of 29.99%. Smiley Indifferent None of my cards have an APR this high, not even my other store cards. That is crazy. Might still end up closing it, but if not, I will NOT keep a balance on it.

What do yall think?

If Synch upgrades your card, will it be a new account?

Message 6 of 8
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What do yall think?

I believe it would since it will have a new account number. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What do yall think?

Yes, they stated that they would close my old account and transfer me to a new one.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.