Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chevron Visa upgrade: Synchrony giveth, Synchrony taketh

tag
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Chevron Visa upgrade: Synchrony giveth, Synchrony taketh

Got a letter in the mail this morning that said, "Congratulations! Due to your excellent account standing, your Chevron Texaco account is being upgraded to a Visa Advantage account!" They must have known I was about to close the store card as part of my 2017 Cardpurgeocalypse Smiley Happy 

I know how Synchrony "upgrades" work, and I'm fully expecting the new account and AAoA hit. What I wasn't expecting was a CLD from $4,000 to $1,200! I've already called Credit Solutions and asked them to increase the limit on the new account, but they say there is nothing they can do until I activate the Visa.

I haven't used the card in about 6 months, since there are better cards out there for gas purchases, but I do use Chevron in both of my cars exclusively. With this conversion, I now only have two store cards - Amazon.com ($5K) and Lowe's ($17K). 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Re: Chevron Visa upgrade: Synchrony giveth, Synchrony taketh

Her congrats on the upgrade and sorry anout the CLI , hopefully you can get it back up there soon
Message 2 of 7
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats and sorry at the same time?  lol.. Sure you will be able to get back to limitSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is messed up. An upgrade and CLD at the same time. Has to be a first. Lmao.
Message 4 of 7
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

This is essentially the credit card version of a 'backhanded compliment' (you know, in case you wuz considering 'gettin all uppity' bout the upgrade). But hey, congrats just the same.
Message 5 of 7
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Man, that's crazy! Chevron is the predominate gas station in my area and I've considered this card... Then I hear stories like this Smiley Indifferent

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear that OP! I just want to prepare you though. Synchrony is doing reviews for all high credit/little utilization. So prepare for a CLD on your Amazon and Lowe's too. Several people have already started getting hit. Unfortunately, there are people who have had accounts opened for years too, that are getting hit now. So this will be affecting everybody.🙁
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.