Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child Support CA

tag
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Child Support CA

If he can get a loan from a CU...it would benefit him and the child's mom.  Might as well get the monkey off his back.
Message 21 of 30
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Something I just thought of.   If your BF takes out a loan, say $10k and offers the mom this as a paid-in-full...maybe they can come to some sort of agreement.  He saves some cash and interest and she gets a lump sum payment.
Message 22 of 30
niecey89
Frequent Contributor

they would need to go to court to end the support if she agrees. just remember that support can be reinstated if the child is not 18 or still in school
FICO Scores 7/15/2008: EQ 600, TU 546, EX 490
9/17/08 - TU 571,12/17/08 649,3/16/09 638, 6/14 642
ScoreWatch 12/17/08 EQ 646, 1/2/ 09 664, 2/2/09 684,2/12/09 673, 2/16/09 688, 2/27 674,3/3 682,4/16 685, 6/28 679
1/2/09 EX 668 2/13/09 669
AS of NOV08 I am Credit card debit free. I AM A MYFICO.COM ADDICTED Smiley Happy ~
Message 23 of 30
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

Breakthecycle2 wrote:
If i can get credit cards with scores in the low 500s, he can get one.

This proves a point that I continually make: FICO scores are not the only factor considered in the credit application process. Unresolved baddies can be a total show stopper. (CO's, CA's, PR's, BK's, unpaid lates not CO'ed, i.e. 90-days plus and the account does not reflect "Paid or Paying as Agreed" ) These things can make you unacceptable to prime issuers and send you packing of to sub-prime land.

Message Edited by jmbfl on 09-19-2008 12:35 PM
Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

She mentioned later in the thread that his daughter is 18 now and not in school, so all he owes is the arrears. I think it's a rather good idea to approach the mother and ask if she'd be willing to settle for less. IF, and this is a big IF...they are in agreement, it's rather inexpensive to file a petition and go before the courts to have the previous judgement amended, etc. Perhaps while in court you could ask the judge to have the entries removed from credit report?

If my child was 18 and I was just waiting on back support, I would have no problem settling up, getting a lump sum  and having it be done and over with. I speak from the perspective of a mother that was only awarded $175 per month and doesn't get a dime, but hey, ya never know.

niecey89 wrote:
they would need to go to court to end the support if she agrees. just remember that support can be reinstated if the child is not 18 or still in school

Message Edited by UpUpUp on 09-19-2008 03:37 PM
Message 25 of 30
SherriLynn
Regular Contributor

UpUpUp wrote:
She mentioned later in the thread that his daughter is 18 now and not in school, so all he owes is the arrears. I think it's a rather good idea to approach the mother and ask if she'd be willing to settle for less. IF, and this is a big IF...they are in agreement, it's rather inexpensive to file a petition and go before the courts to have the previous judgement amended, etc. Perhaps while in court you could ask the judge to have the entries removed from credit report?

If my child was 18 and I was just waiting on back support, I would have no problem settling up, getting a lump sum  and having it be done and over with. I speak from the perspective of a mother that was only awarded $175 per month and doesn't get a dime, but hey, ya never know.

niecey89 wrote:

That is a great idea, only they haven't spoken to one another in years, and I'm sure she wants all the money.  Plus the fact she is in CA and he is in AZ.  I will show him this thread tonight and see if he thinks that might be possible.  He his very grateful for everyone's advice.  The suggestion I came up with last night was for him to continue paying the arrears like he has been doing if he can't get a loan, then just wait a few months after my CapOne account is on his report (AU) so it shows a positive history (it will go back to the date I opened the acct right?) and then app for BofA and hope he gets a 99/500 offer, or go for the fully secured if that's what it takes.  Funny thing is, we were at a car dealer two years ago and they were positive they could get him financed, since he needs a car to get to work so he can pay his arrears, but Orchard turns him down!  Unbelievable! 

Message Edited by SherriLynn on 09-19-2008 03:32 PM
08/08 FICO TU649 EQ645 EX639
12/08 FICO TU665 EQ672 EX667
03/09 EQ650
App-free since 01/29/09
Message 26 of 30
niecey89
Frequent Contributor

Sorry I missed that part about already 18 and not in school. I say settle and get it that monkey off his back. In my case I have 13 more years then add another 4 for college (he better hope she does not go to graduate school).

I wish him luck in getting this resolved.
FICO Scores 7/15/2008: EQ 600, TU 546, EX 490
9/17/08 - TU 571,12/17/08 649,3/16/09 638, 6/14 642
ScoreWatch 12/17/08 EQ 646, 1/2/ 09 664, 2/2/09 684,2/12/09 673, 2/16/09 688, 2/27 674,3/3 682,4/16 685, 6/28 679
1/2/09 EX 668 2/13/09 669
AS of NOV08 I am Credit card debit free. I AM A MYFICO.COM ADDICTED Smiley Happy ~
Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, ya just never know. If they haven't spoken in years, she might even have a financial situation of her own where a lump sum of $10k or something might work out good for her too!

Just have him give her a call and say he just wants to toss an idea at her, and she's not obligated, but if she'd be willing to listen to it, she'd really appreciate it.. and go from there. If they are in different states maybe he could contact an attorney there that could draft up the agreement and just go to court for an hour on their behalf and be done with the whole thing. Even if it costs him $500 or so - if it saves him thousands, who cares! If she's not game for it though, then you're plan sounds like the next best thing. Yes, the AU account will report the whole history, so that should help him.

I hate all this stuff. It's never fun for any party involved. I give up on my situation. He can keep the $ if his child isn't important enough for him to pay it without being forced. It's admirable of your BF to be doing his best to fulfill his obligation, I hope it works out.

SherriLynn wrote:

UpUpUp wrote:

niecey89 wrote:

That is a great idea, only they haven't spoken to one another in years, and I'm sure she wants all the money.  Plus the fact she is in CA and he is in AZ.  I will show him this thread tonight and see if he thinks that might be possible.  He his very grateful for everyone's advice.  The suggestion I came up with last night was for him to continue paying the arrears like he has been doing if he can't get a loan, then just wait a few months after my CapOne account is on his report (AU) so it shows a positive history (it will go back to the date I opened the acct right?) and then app for BofA and hope he gets a 99/500 offer, or go for the fully secured if that's what it takes.  Funny thing is, we were at a car dealer two years ago and they were positive they could get him financed, since he needs a car to get to work so he can pay his arrears, but Orchard turns him down!  Unbelievable! 

Message Edited by SherriLynn on 09-19-2008 03:32 PM

Message Edited by UpUpUp on 09-19-2008 07:32 PM
Message 28 of 30
SherriLynn
Regular Contributor

UpUpUp wrote:
Hey, ya just never know. If they haven't spoken in years, she might even have a financial situation of her own where a lump sum of $10k or something might work out good for her too!

Just have him give her a call and say he just wants to toss an idea at her, and she's not obligated, but if she'd be willing to listen to it, she'd really appreciate it.. and go from there. If they are in different states maybe he could contact an attorney there that could draft up the agreement and just go to court for an hour on their behalf and be done with the whole thing. Even if it costs him $500 or so - if it saves him thousands, who cares! If she's not game for it though, then you're plan sounds like the next best thing. Yes, the AU account will report the whole history, so that should help him.

I hate all this stuff. It's never fun for any party involved. I give up on my situation. He can keep the $ if his child isn't important enough for him to pay it without being forced. It's admirable of your BF to be doing his best to fulfill his obligation, I hope it works out.

Message Edited by UpUpUp on 09-19-2008 07:32 PM

Thank you very much.  I hope your situation improves.     
08/08 FICO TU649 EQ645 EX639
12/08 FICO TU665 EQ672 EX667
03/09 EQ650
App-free since 01/29/09
Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

SherriLynn wrote: Thank you very much.  I hope your situation improves.     

It probably won't, but thanks! ;-)
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.