cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chip + PIN -- How necessary? Best choices?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chip + PIN -- How necessary? Best choices?

I'm going to be traveling internationally in a few months and will be renting a car (I'll be driving in Switzerland, Germany, and the Czech Republic--I've already checked with the rental company and I'll be allowed into all of those countries in case you wondered). I have nightmares of running out of gas, not having enough cash, and not having a card with chip and pin if that's all that's accepted (the same thing for tolls).

Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing who could advise on how necessary the chip and pin technology is for these purchases (if you're paying by card)?

Second, what are the best chip and pin cards? Barclays Arrival+? (I'm not interested in joining a credit union at this time, just FYI).
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Chip + PIN -- How necessary? Best choices?

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm going to be traveling internationally in a few months and will be renting a car (I'll be driving in Switzerland, Germany, and the Czech Republic--I've already checked with the rental company and I'll be allowed into all of those countries in case you wondered). I have nightmares of running out of gas, not having enough cash, and not having a card with chip and pin if that's all that's accepted (the same thing for tolls).

Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing who could advise on how necessary the chip and pin technology is for these purchases (if you're paying by card)?

Second, what are the best chip and pin cards? Barclays Arrival+? (I'm not interested in joining a credit union at this time, just FYI).

Barclaycard is online backup PIN. With Diner's Club unavailable to new applicants, you may wish to reconsider a CU for offline PIN.

I don't know how necessary offline PIN is in those countries.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had an early morning 100 mile ride to the airport in Scotland last month.  My car had GPS and within the first 80 miles the first gas station wasn't open.  Second gas station was PIN only fully automated.  I thought I set my PIN on Barclay card but it rejected the card and all my other cards.  Next gas station 11 miles away and arrived on fumes.  Came back and noticed I hadn't set PIN.   I would want a PIN card just for peace of mind.  There was also a parking garage machine that would on,y take my bank card because it required a PIN.  

Message 3 of 7
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Get a card with a PIN before you go to Europe.  You will need it to pump gas, to pay tolls, to use public parking, and to buy train tickets.  I take three types of cards to Europe:

1.  Chip+signature (Chase Sapphire Reserve) for paying hotel bills with 3x rewards

2.  Chip+PIN with default to signature (NFCU Cash Rewards) as backup

3.  Chip+PIN with default to PIN (UNFCU Azure) for train and subway tickets and other unattended offline kiosks.  I also use this card at European restaurants, supermarkets, gift shops, and tourist attractions because it eliminates the confusion of the signature process.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 4 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Get a card with a PIN before you go to Europe.  You will need it to pump gas, to pay tolls, to use public parking, and to buy train tickets.  I take three types of cards to Europe:

1.  Chip+signature (Chase Sapphire Reserve) for paying hotel bills with 3x rewards

3.  Chip+PIN with default to PIN (UNFCU Azure) for train and subway tickets and other unattended offline kiosks.  I also use this card at European restaurants, supermarkets, gift shops, and tourist attractions because it eliminates the confusion of the signature process.

Does UNFCU ask for tax returns? I want a PIN card but I'm not sure I want to share that info. I have a Schwab debit card which might suffice.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I decided to pull the trigger and app for the Arrival+ card.  And BAM, instantly approved for a $12.5k limit.  Waaaayyyyy more than I needed.   But it should do the trick.  😆

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Understand cardfan that you are not interested in joining a credit union. Depending on what other cards may be available in a chip & pin format, I will offer the following just in case: First Tech Federal Credit Union located in Oregon has Chip & Pin Cards. Moderator Revelate obtained such a card before going overseas to various countries just to ensure access to situations where such a card access format was required.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.