Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chip Technology Warning!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chip Technology Warning!!!

There is probably a Reddit article on how to make $1,000 a week stealing chips.
Message 21 of 47
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

I just got the latest design of the Citi Thank You Preferred card and the chip looked kinda suspicious LOL. The card itself looks really good but the first thing I noticed was the deformed looking chip. Looks like it would come right off with some tweaking.
TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 22 of 47
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Don't know if this is a true story or not but one thing is, and that's that no matter what security card companies come up with, there will always be someone one step ahead trying a new scam. Until we go to retina scans or something cards will always be vulnerable. Now that I think of it, a retina scan sounds scary, we'll have to watch out for people trying to steal our eyes, I guess we're doomed to always be vulnerable.
Message 23 of 47
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

why would you risk getting caught stealing the chip when you could just take the information and still use it 100 places 2 weeks later?

by stealing the chip the cardholder will know as soon as his next purchase.  

by stealing the info, the card stays active and cardholder cant pin down weeks later who stole the info.

makes zero sense.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 24 of 47
ginger1477
Regular Contributor

I didn't try to peel it off, but I did cut up a card with the chip. Made sure to go through and it was super thin and layered in the plastic. Lol now I'm curious, I'm gonna try it with a card I'm planning to close anyways.
Capital One Quicksilver: 14k * Alliant: 4k * BoA: 6k * Discover 5k * Best Buy Visa: 10k * Amex BCE: 7k, Amex Everyday: 1k * Target RedCard: 9k * Walmart: 10k * Citi 2k * Care Credit: 10k
Message 25 of 47
ginger1477
Regular Contributor

...I stopped before I could slice my hand. It looks like it world be easy to get out but getting a blade under is very difficult. The only way I could do that was by cutting the side and the thing only came up in one piece at a time. It's a thin metal.
Well I'm not the strongest person ever, nor do I make it a habit to steal credit cards, but from my ten minutes of going at it I think the card would look noticiably tampered with right away.
Capital One Quicksilver: 14k * Alliant: 4k * BoA: 6k * Discover 5k * Best Buy Visa: 10k * Amex BCE: 7k, Amex Everyday: 1k * Target RedCard: 9k * Walmart: 10k * Citi 2k * Care Credit: 10k
Message 26 of 47
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

Just got through this thread.

This morning, Chase contacted me because of a fraud alert on my card (someone charged over 300 bucks to a political campaign. )She asked me if I still had my card, I do. She also asked me if the chip was still on it, it is. So I guess the chip can come off? 

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 27 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is scary. It's good to have a back card or more thna 2 credit cards with you just in case. 

Message 28 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ginger1477 wrote:
...I stopped before I could slice my hand. It looks like it world be easy to get out but getting a blade under is very difficult. The only way I could do that was by cutting the side and the thing only came up in one piece at a time. It's a thin metal.
Well I'm not the strongest person ever, nor do I make it a habit to steal credit cards, but from my ten minutes of going at it I think the card would look noticiably tampered with right away.

A square hole punch would most likely be able to do it, but it seems unlikely that a cardholder would not notice a "sticker" had been put in its place.

Best to look at your cards when you receive them back so you can ensure that you are receiving the correct card and not someone else's card.

Message 29 of 47
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ginger1477 wrote:

A square hole punch would most likely be able to do it, but it seems unlikely that a cardholder would not notice a "sticker" had been put in its place.

Best to look at your cards when you receive them back so you can ensure that you are receiving the correct card and not someone else's card.

^^^ This "scares" me much worse than a stolen/missing chip - it actually happened to a good friend of mine, and I was there when he realized there had been a 'switch'.  It was a honest error made by a waiter... his card was identical to the one it was switched with (other than name and account number, of course). 

Both he and the other guy had even made purchases on each other's cards later that night without noticing (my friend noticed when he got home and looked closely at a receipt)... I will add that the bank did a really good job of putting everything where it should have been, but it could have been very bad had either of them actually wanted to 'take advantage' of the situation. 

Message 30 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.