Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chip & PIN

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chip & PIN

Is there a list of all banks/credit unions who offer pin code for their chip cards ? my second question is that if i lose my card and they guess my pin correctly and spend all my available credit then who is liable for fraud? is it me, the merchant or bank?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Mattopotamus
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chip & PIN

I'm not sure if anyone or anywhere in the US actually uses chip and pin currently.  They use chip, but not pin.  It really has to do with who is liable, the merchant or the bank.  If the merchant does not have chip support they became liable after October 2015.  If your card is stolen and it is reported, you will get your money back.

One of the main reasons I never use a debit card is b.c if someone steals my credit card it is way less stressful than if someone were to drain my bank account.

Message 2 of 11
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Is there a list of all banks/credit unions who offer pin code for their chip cards ? my second question is that if i lose my card and they guess my pin correctly and spend all my available credit then who is liable for fraud? is it me, the merchant or bank?

Only bank i know issues a Chip+Pin card is Diners Club and they are currently not accepting applications.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jace8602 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Only bank i know issues a Chip+Pin card is Diners Club and they are currently not accepting applications.

You're partially correct.  There are actually a lot of Chip and Pin cards being offered now.  The difference is that the Diners Club card is one of a few cards that default automatically to PIN verification instead of signature.  The only card that is available that you can apply for that does this is the UNFCU card

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My business debit card from my credit union requires the entry of the CHIP pin (not my debit/atm pin) when using at a place that has the chip feature.

My other cards at the same place go right through without the use of a pin

and honestly the chip system in America right now is a joke, it takes 3 times as long and doesn't ask for a pin unless the issuer requires it.

Message 5 of 11
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jace8602 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You're partially correct.  There are actually a lot of Chip and Pin cards being offered now.  The difference is that the Diners Club card is one of a few cards that default automatically to PIN verification instead of signature.  The only card that is available that you can apply for that does this is the UNFCU card

Correct, that's why I listed the Diners Club only. Did not know about UNFCU. I posted a few months ago about receving a PIN for my RBFCU credit card. It stated that I should use it for purchases. I have yet to use it but it will be interesting to find out if it is a true Chip+Pin.

Message 6 of 11
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

First Niagara (regional bank in Northeast) offers chip and PIN.  However, they are currently being acquired by Key Bank, so no clue how long that will last.

https://www.firstniagara.com/Borrow/Personal/Credit_Cards/Credit_Cards.aspx

Message 7 of 11
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_TnruO1Kad7rjFEOESbHqs9DPV-SHlK5DpJyJG-W5Hk/edit?pref=2&pli=...

The above list is not still being updated.  For example, it doesn't list RBFCU.

If someone guesses your PIN and uses the card, it is still fraud.  You are not liable.  However, the CCC may not believe you.  Or think you may have written the pin on the card, etc.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@jace8602 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

"Chip and PIN" is supposed to refer to cards that prefer PIN over signature. By that definition only UNFCU/Diners Club/First Tech count. In practice though, it seems to refer to cards with a PIN at all, even if it's almost never used.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

and honestly the chip system in America right now is a joke, it takes 3 times as long and doesn't ask for a pin unless the issuer requires it.

Some places have gotten a lot better though. Walgreens for example only takes a couple of seconds at most. Apple Pay, of course, is instant. Cat Very Happy

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.