Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chip-pin not working in Europe

tag
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chip-pin not working in Europe

To continue the story, the PenFed chip-pin WORKS in the rail fare machines in Amsterdam! There is absolutely no way to swipe the cards in these dutch rail fare machines , it *needs* a chip (and pin).

So, the chip-pin works in the dutch machines but not in the german ones. Didn't have the opportunity to try the card in an automated machine in Belgium. This is kind of worrisome - how you can't know where it will work and where it doesn't. I'm glad I came with two chipped cards. You really don't want to wait for agents at the one window!

I keep updating this info since I'm sure it will be of use to someone in the future! :-)

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 11 of 17
dilettante
Established Contributor

Thank you so much for your detailed reports. From your reports and others on different forums, it sounds like US issued chip & sig/pin cards aren't working seemlessly as hoped. I've read of others in various countries and with various bank cards (BoA, Wells, Penfed, USAA, etc) of problems at unmanned ticket kiosks and toll booths. 

So far the only card that I haven't read complaints about is the UNFCU and that's because it's a true chip and pin vs. all the other US cards that are chip and sig priority/then chip and pin.

I'm still waiting to see what Chase will do since they announced that they will be issuing chip and pin sometime soon.  If they are going to make chip and pin a secondary feature and keep the chip and signature as default, then I may have to get the UNFCU card, though I've read it's a pain to go through their process.

Message 12 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@dilettante wrote:

Thank you so much for your detailed reports. From your reports and others on different forums, it sounds like US issued chip & sig/pin cards aren't working seemlessly as hoped. I've read of others in various countries and with various bank cards (BoA, Wells, Penfed, USAA, etc) of problems at unmanned ticket kiosks and toll booths. 

So far the only card that I haven't read complaints about is the UNFCU and that's because it's a true chip and pin vs. all the other US cards that are chip and sig priority/then chip and pin.

I'm still waiting to see what Chase will do since they announced that they will be issuing chip and pin sometime soon.  If they are going to make chip and pin a secondary feature and keep the chip and signature as default, then I may have to get the UNFCU card, though I've read it's a pain to go through their process.

And even then there are reports of some ticket machines/gas stations/toll booths that appear to take only country-specific issued cards.   So the network isn't quite as universal as we would hope!

Message 13 of 17
dilettante
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@dilettante wrote:

And even then there are reports of some ticket machines/gas stations/toll booths that appear to take only country-specific issued cards.   So the network isn't quite as universal as we would hope!

Yes! I've read that too. And something about changes coming to ATM's in Europe as well.  Uggh, for my next trip to Europe, I'm going to have prepare so many back up plans to avoid the stress of having jet-lagged kids in tow and trying to buy train tickets.

Message 14 of 17
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the trip report.  I am sure it will be very helpful for many people planning trips to Europe.

It seems like it is a complete mess for Americans traveling out of the tourist areas right now.  Chip and Sig may nor may not work currently.  If you upgrade to chip and pin, your card may only be only online, but the kiosk only accepts chip and pin offline cards.  And even if you have an offline chip and pin card, some vendors may only accept local CC's.  Or so I have read.

I just wanted to add that I have read that "soon" most of the automated kiosks are supposed to allow chip and sig as a fallback.  My understanding is they are still finalizing everything.  But in a few years, any old chip and sig CC may be good enough for travel in Europe.   I have only seen this one place, but if true, it will make international travel much easier to plan

Message 15 of 17
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

I had a CSP fail this morning in Hamburg. It was a small hotel and I gave my CSP to the lady and she looked at it wide eyed and said it was "new." I was like, yes, yes... with the fancy chip you people like. She asked if I had anything different. I didn't get it. Then she helplessly showed me her machine. It was the old paper carbon-copy machine! Ha! She needed a credit card with the numbers embossed. CSP didn't work because it had the numbers printed on it - too funny.

Seriously, need all sorts of cards. I never get how people travel with only one or two.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 16 of 17
sjt
Senior Contributor

My friend was in Europe recently and his Chase Card did not work. He called Chase and they said it was the European porcessor that did not accept the card.

Also, Chase will convert their current EMV to Chip and Signature with a PIN back up. in the next few months.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.