Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi 20% Bonus Thank You Points Offer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi 20% Bonus Thank You Points Offer

I just received an offer from Citi ... 20% Bonus Thank You Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases until 7/31/11 when you use your card.  I signed up at specified web site and got message as shown in below.

"This offer activation will be completed within the next 4 business days. If your account is closed for any reason, including if you convert to another card product, you may no longer be eligible."

Did anyone got same special or similar offer?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Citi 20% Bonus Thank You Points Offer

Wow! What is included under "eligible purchases"?

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 9
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just received an offer from Citi ... 20% Bonus Thank You Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases until 7/31/11 when you use your card.  I signed up at specified web site and got message as shown in below.

"This offer activation will be completed within the next 4 business days. If your account is closed for any reason, including if you convert to another card product, you may no longer be eligible."

Back in November, I made an international internet purchase using a Citi card.  I usually don't call CCCs, but it dawned on me that there might be a foreign transaction fee added to my bill.  So, I did call, merely to inquire.

The rep told me that there would be a FT fee, but no such fee ever appeared on my statement. 

While I was on that same call, the rep offered me a 5% statement credit for any and all purchases for the next three months, capped at $2000 in purchases.  I asked, "What's the catch?" 

The rep said that there was no catch.  I asked if card types would be changed, or APRs, or anything.  He said, "No."   I told that rep "OK, but if there's some catch I haven't figured out here, this deal's off."  He laughed, said not to worry, and my offer would begin within the next four days following the call.

Sure enough, I spent $2k fairly quickly on that card, and I got that $100 in statement credit, no strings attached.  Smiley Happy  And I'm still surprised at that, especially since I didn't call to gripe about anything, but just to ask a question.

Go figure. 

Message 3 of 9
Woolfman
Established Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Back in November, I made an international internet purchase using a Citi card.  I usually don't call CCCs, but it dawned on me that there might be a foreign transaction fee added to my bill.  So, I did call, merely to inquire.

The rep told me that there would be a FT fee, but no such fee ever appeared on my statement. 

While I was on that same call, the rep offered me a 5% statement credit for any and all purchases for the next three months, capped at $2000 in purchases.  I asked, "What's the catch?" 

The rep said that there was no catch.  I asked if card types would be changed, or APRs, or anything.  He said, "No."   I told that rep "OK, but if there's some catch I haven't figured out here, this deal's off."  He laughed, said not to worry, and my offer would begin within the next four days following the call.

Sure enough, I spent $2k fairly quickly on that card, and I got that $100 in statement credit, no strings attached.  Smiley Happy  And I'm still surprised at that, especially since I didn't call to gripe about anything, but just to ask a question.

Go figure. 

Same thing happened with me when i called to ask a question.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Wow! What is included under "eligible purchases"?

That's my question too ~    So, I called and spoke with their rep to get that information.  She said it's EVERYTHING exclude BT fees, cash advances, refund, any fees and interest charges as usualShe also told me it start TODAY.

I received this special offer in the Via-snail mail and signed up on same day ... 05/04/11.    I guess, they want me to use their card again.   Because I only charging a small purchase like DVD rental from Redbox/month since they PCd from Driver's Edge to thankyou card.  Also, Discover gave me a special offer of extra 5% bonus between March ~ May with minimum of $500/mo purchase and I am charging all my purchases on it.   Therefore, I only can take this advantage is in June and July only except the places does not accept Discover card.   Not like Discover (purchase date and posting date are the same day) ... The purchase must be posted by Sunday, 07/31/11 (which is purchases should be made no later than Wednesday, 07/27/11) to earn 20% pts and this earnings will add on to the cap of 75,000/yr thankyou pts. 

My past actual usages and plan for next three months ...

March  ~  Discover More - mainly,  Freedom VISA and MC - sub-mainly, all others - small purchase/month or occasionally.

April  ~  Discover More - mainly,  Freedom VISA and MC - sub-mainly, all others - small purchase/month or occasionally.

May ~ Discover More - mainly,  Citi thankyou card - moderately,  all others - small purchase/month or occasionally.

June ~  Citi thankyou card  - mainly, Discover - 5% Bonus only,  all others - small purchase/month or occasionally.

July ~ Citi thankyou card  - mainly, Discover - 5% Bonus only,  all others - small purchase/month or occasionally.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got this offer both in the mail and through email, for both my Citi cards.  I don't typically use either very much.  While it's always nice to get free bonuses, this one really isn't enough to push me into using the cards more.  But I still sign up for all these types of offers anyway.

Message 6 of 9
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

To be honest this offer is not pushing far enough. Typical TY points yield 0.6~0.7% return (giftcard/cashback/gifts). So a 20% bonus, or 0.2% return, bumps TY points into 0.8/0.9% return. Which is still inferior to 1% cashback card.

Only two Citi cards are worth using TY points, Forward and mtvU for their 5 points bonus on entertainment/restaurant/book category.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I did not ask for thankyou card ... they pcd from my Driver's Edge begin this March.  so, I'm not happy about it.

I want my Driver's Edge back!

Message 8 of 9
athensguy
Valued Contributor

I have gotten the offer a couple of times, but I didn't bother to sign up. I'm trying to PC my worthless ThankYou card to a Forward. Apparently they make you wait 45 days before it goes into effect.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.