Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AA CLI question

tag
jd403
Regular Contributor

Citi AA CLI question

I have a Citi AA card with a $3k limit.  My stement cut date id the 5th of each month.  If I make a big payment on say the 10th, do I need to wait until the next statement cuts in April before I request a CLI or can I wait for it to post and request it?

FICO 8: TU 716 EX, 718 EQ 721 (10/19/21)

Discover IT $10.5k, Citi AA $10.8k , Cap One QS - $6.3k, Amex Optima - $4k Kohl's - $3k, M-Life MasterCard $8k, Amex Delta Gold $16.5k
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
accidentalpancake
Regular Contributor

Re: Citi AA CLI question

A single payment won't likely make a difference, but there are a lot of variables missing.

What's the current balance, and how long has it been there; how long have you had the card; do you typically carry a balance; if yes, how much; do you pay the minimum or more; etc.

FICO as of Feb 2017:
EQ 712 | 728 TU | 713 EX
Message 2 of 4
jd403
Regular Contributor

$2500 is the current balance. I've had the card since last June and usually make a $3-400 payment each month. I use it for everything for points I get towards miles.

I will make my usual payment on the 1st and another on the 10th
FICO 8: TU 716 EX, 718 EQ 721 (10/19/21)

Discover IT $10.5k, Citi AA $10.8k , Cap One QS - $6.3k, Amex Optima - $4k Kohl's - $3k, M-Life MasterCard $8k, Amex Delta Gold $16.5k
Message 3 of 4
accidentalpancake
Regular Contributor

Well I'm not intimately familiar with Citi's CLI algorithms, but I'd say on average if you're carrying the balance at $2500 (even though you're making a couple of large payments a month, the true balance isn't changing since you're continually using it) it's probably not the most positive indicator. It's really all about utilization in that case. You're over 80%, which in itself might be a flag.

It all depends, though. If you're not running balances on any other cards and you've got a clean file, they may see more opportunity for you to spend by giving you more room. 

I've been through this exact situation. Decent scores and a few cards with mid-level limits. It was always hardest to get CLIs when I ran balances. When I was finally able to pay all my cards completely down, I couldn't turn around without tripping over a CLI.

If it's a SP, though, no harm in asking... Smiley Wink

FICO as of Feb 2017:
EQ 712 | 728 TU | 713 EX
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.