cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AA Cards Rewards and Spending... Is this why they are good?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Citi AA Cards Rewards and Spending... Is this why they are good?

So I always looked at them and I have had a thread or two before saying WHY WHY WHY would you push every dollar through them when it's 1 to 1... I have to spend $25k to get a free ticket vs. some of my cash back or travel cards are 2% or more... but recently checking prices with our AA Business Card that we have the bonus from and have not used since and our new Navy Flagship I see POSSIBLY why AA is the way.

Although the flights do seem to be cheaper it just depends how much you are flying.... so flight I was looking at was roughly $500 we will call it for even numbers on AA but I was also able to book it awards travel for 12,500 points each way making it just a 25k ticket plus $85 for award travel purchase but 1 bag free and priority boarding for whatever that is worth.

Over at Navy, I could get a similar flight on different airline in the $300-$400 range depending how quickly you had to leave and if you cared about airline.

so lets say it's $400 for ease... That costs me only $10k spending to double at the 2% to give me the 20k points to pay for the ticket.

now I don't get a free bag - add $25 each way at leeast

no priority seating - for what ever that is worth

no chance of upgrade really

now with the AA credit card at $30k a year spending I then step up to Gold that gives me 2 free bags, companion ticket, cheaper award travel, higher chance of upgrade and cheaper upgrade.... If traveling more than 2 a year these could outway the cheaper out of pocket ticket through Navy no?

I have to base on Gold Level because it goes from $30k to $100k spending to hit platinum level AA if it's not for actual flying and we will not meet any flying requirements.

Is this breaking down right?

my only concern is yes if you have the miles for a free ticket this works out but any flying in between those free tickets is going to cost you much more to do it this route then book through the Navy way... so might still be better pushing the money through Navy and try to just fly on a partner airline or AA with the Navy purchase to get the free bag or am I almost seeiing it all but missing the small piece that would push it to 100% spend on AA would be better for us?

for this purpose, lets just use a yearly spend of $36k or $3k a month... Navy Flagship or Citi World Business? (No overseas travel planned in next year and probably 4-6 airline tickets needed this year.

*We also have the USAirway Business Card through Barclay... that might be the key that changes everything after complete conversion no? currently those USair Miles are not worth as much as the AA.... I tried award travel and it was going to be 32,500 for the same 25k AA Miles ticket.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi AA Cards Rewards and Spending... Is this why they are good?

I think the Chase Southwest card beats both of them but YMMV

Message 2 of 6
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

I am also curious and would also like to know how it would compare to the CSP. With the CSP you get some bonus categories and can transfer your miles to UA I believe.

Message 3 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I don't know about southwest and not really interested (no offense) in the scenario since they don't fly everywhere and don't have first class or really any sort of upgrade type stuff... liked them in past and had the credit card at one time... but no more.

Message 4 of 6
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Bump. Has anyone else does any in depth comparisons?

Message 5 of 6
john398
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I don't know about southwest and not really interested (no offense) in the scenario since they don't fly everywhere and don't have first class or really any sort of upgrade type stuff... liked them in past and had the credit card at one time... but no more.

No offense taken, I guess I am just a little more fugal these days

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.