Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AA and AMEX blue cash

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi AA and AMEX blue cash

Hello All,

I have a few questions for the credit pros out there about Citi AA. My dbf was thinking about apping for this card with the 75K miles bonus offer. I am not sure he would qualify so would you be able to advice me? His scores are EQ 730 FICO, EX FICO 735 (APRIL - PSECU) and TU FICO was 757 a few months ago.

He last apped for this card in Sept 09 and was denied. His current cc's include: PSECU 20K combo (1900 bal), Citi Forward 10.5K (406 bal), BofA 8K (0 bal), Penfed Amex 5K (0 bal), Penfed Visa 2.5K (30 bal), Discover More 2K (50 bal.) and a couple other small cards.

He is also an AU on AMEX blue cash which has a cl of 3K. The Citi Forward is always paid in full every month automatically and so are other with balances except the PSECU balance which is revolving. The AAOA is like around 2 years or so. Longest account is 5 years. Also has 4 paid off vehicles reporting. What do you guys think his chances are for the Citi AA?

Finally, with above stats, would you think he can get AMEX blue cash of his own? He last apped in Sept 2009 and was denied. No inq on EX for 14 months, no inquiries on EQ in 15 months and no inquiries on TU for 20 months.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
jefftca925
Established Contributor

Re: Citi AA and AMEX blue cash

I think he would have a very good chance of getting approved for both cards with his scores and the credit profile you've put up.  As long as he doesn't have any recent baddies he should be good to go.  I app'd for the Citi AA Amex last year (for the 75k bonus) and was instantly approved with scores in the 770-780 range.  I've seen others approved in the low 700s.  Amex seems to be on a tear to get new cardholders right now and have been approving apps left and right.  The Blue Cash is a revolver so it does require a better credit profile than for the charge cards but I think he should qualify.  He can try the card selector page on the Amex website to see if qualifies for one of their cards.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 2 of 16
vish1
Valued Contributor

I won't count on instant online approvals as 720+ are kinda entry scores for both these cards (The AAoA is troubling me a bit).

This said, I feel he has a good shot and worth a attempt.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jefftca925 wrote:

I think he would have a very good chance of getting approved for both cards with his scores and the credit profile you've put up.  As long as he doesn't have any recent baddies he should be good to go.  I app'd for the Citi AA Amex last year (for the 75k bonus) and was instantly approved with scores in the 770-780 range.  I've seen others approved in the low 700s.  Amex seems to be on a tear to get new cardholders right now and have been approving apps left and right.  The Blue Cash is a revolver so it does require a better credit profile than for the charge cards but I think he should qualify.  He can try the card selector page on the Amex website to see if qualifies for one of their cards.

Thanks for the response...

He has tried the pre selector site with no offers showing up... Smiley Sad just dont want a wasted inquiry... Charge card would be useless because there is no reason he should pay an AF. So you think he has good chance for the Citi AA? Income is 50K and HHI is 110K.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@vish1 wrote:

I won't count on instant online approvals as 720+ are kinda entry scores for both these cards (The AAoA is troubling me a bit).

Hmmm, thats what I figured.. oh well.. all they can say is no right? The AAoA is low because he has been in the country for only 5.5 years... He is still waiting to apply for the Chase Freedom too - got a pre approved offer in the mail with 200 cash back after first purchase...

Message 5 of 16
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@vish1 wrote:

Hmmm, thats what I figured.. oh well.. all they can say is no right? The AAoA is low because he has been in the country for only 5.5 years... He is still waiting to apply for the Chase Freedom too - got a pre approved offer in the mail with 200 cash back after first purchase...

Chase freedom should be straight forward and easy to get for him.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just app'ed for CIti AA Visa and Citi AA Amex and was approved for both with $9k limit each.  My oldest card is a cap one no balance $1k limit (opened 9/09).  Second oldest is Citi Forward $1400 balance - $15k limit (opened 11/09).  I also have a BoA no balance - $7.5k limit (opened 10/10).  I have a few inquires from 9/09 to present from home purchase and two new cars and above mentioned CC.  My scores are about 730.

I think since he has a Citi Forawrd that will help get him another Citi card.  I assume thats why they gave me two Citi AA cards.  I too wanted to the 75k miles promo.

Message 7 of 16
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

Can you still get 75,000 miles?
Message 8 of 16
vish1
Valued Contributor

I found this link:

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc/Travel/AA/Multi/Nov10/Triple/75k/ver2/default.htm?ProspectID=FB...

It takes me to a good page. If you don't feel comfortable clicking this link, you can google "citibank aa card 75000 miles" I think the second or third result is flyertalk.com and there you will find the link to get the miles.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@vish1 wrote:

I found this link:

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc/Travel/AA/Multi/Nov10/Triple/75k/ver2/default.htm?ProspectID=FB...

It takes me to a good page. If you don't feel comfortable clicking this link, you can google "citibank aa card 75000 miles" I think the second or third result is flyertalk.com and there you will find the link to get the miles.

If you read the fine print, it expired 2-28-2011

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.