Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AAdavntage Card advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi AAdavntage Card advice

I've been busy gardening for the past year and believe I'm ready to do a small app spree, maybe 1 or 2 cards to finally get out of my OB, Cap1 and BBRWZ cards. I've paid off 2 cards and have about 25% UTIL on the BB card. I have not recevied any updated scores as a result of that yet, I thought I would yesterday (maybe in the next day or two?)

Anyhow, the card I really want is the Citi AAdvantge card and I've probably read all the threads in this forum on that card and I still don't have any idea if this is a tough card to get, or if it's one that isn't really requested around here. I was hoping I could get any guidance or advice. What kind of scores do you think Citi is looking for? I have a spotless report, AA of 3 years, 3 CC's, and 1 month left on a 4 year car note. No missed payments, no baddies.

The other card I am considering before going back to garden mode is the Discover More. From what I've read, I think I shold be able to get it.

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi AAdavntage Card advice

I have this card and if you apply make sure you get the 75,000 AA mile bonus offer. That is almost enough for two round trip tickets to Europe and back. My score is in the high 700s and was approved with a 21k limit instantly. There is a long thread on Flyertalk about this card and I can only remember a few people reporting getting denied. I doubt every poster on Flyertalk has above average credit so it seems to be obtainable.

Message 2 of 14
thebostonredsox
Regular Contributor

I applied for and was approved for the Citi AAdvantage American Express card last July. My EX score at the time was in the mid-700's and I was instantly approved with a $15k Credit Line.

Message 3 of 14
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been busy gardening for the past year and believe I'm ready to do a small app spree, maybe 1 or 2 cards to finally get out of my OB, Cap1 and BBRWZ cards. I've paid off 2 cards and have about 25% UTIL on the BB card. I have not recevied any updated scores as a result of that yet, I thought I would yesterday (maybe in the next day or two?)

Anyhow, the card I really want is the Citi AAdvantge card and I've probably read all the threads in this forum on that card and I still don't have any idea if this is a tough card to get, or if it's one that isn't really requested around here. I was hoping I could get any guidance or advice. What kind of scores do you think Citi is looking for? I have a spotless report, AA of 3 years, 3 CC's, and 1 month left on a 4 year car note. No missed payments, no baddies.

The other card I am considering before going back to garden mode is the Discover More. From what I've read, I think I shold be able to get it.

Thanks

AA is citi's one of the tougher cards and your scores + util + current card lines will put you on borderline or may be a shade below requirements. If I was you, won't apply. As always, YMMV. Good luck if you decide to pull the trigger.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do my responses sometimes come up blank??

Anyhow, what I responeded was that I decided I would hold off on the Citi AA until my scores get up to the mid 700 range. What I'll probably do is apply for a Discover and another like Chase and/or Barclays then chill out until the end of the year......

Thanks for the reponses and advice!

Message 6 of 14
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

FWIW, I think Discover will have standards at least as high, if not higher, than the Citi AA card.  If you want the Citi card, I would apply for that rather than the Discover.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 14
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

If you don't have any negative marks on your report but your scores are in the 670 range, I'm guessing it's just your utilization that is holding you down.  You said you already paid down some cards and are waiting on a score update.  I'd say rather than applying for a card you aren't as interested in now and then having to wait for your score to come back from the new account and hit to AAoA, continue concentrating on getting your utilization down below 10%.  You will wait a little longer now, but on the whole, you'll have the card you want earlier.  It might not even be that long as you may see all the score bump you need once your report updates from the other recent payments you made.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Walt- I'm waiting for the updates before I do anything. Acording to the FICO Simulator I should be in the 713-753 range given the amounts I paid. I've been getting updates on the 4th of each month since Jan but now that I am waiting for a jump, I have yet to see one for April...lol

Message 9 of 14
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I hear you.  Waiting game sucks.  I'm waiting for my utilization to update from 37% to 1%.  BofA statement cuts tomorrow.  And Chase statement cuts day after.  I don't know how long it will then take for them to hit my reports because I've never monitored it that closely before.  But I'll be looking out for my ScoreWatch alert in the next week or so.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.