Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AAdvantage MasterCard - no limit reported

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi AAdvantage MasterCard - no limit reported

I have seen this issue debated (or, people venting about Citi's policies), but I have not been able to find any discussion about what, if anything, have people done (or can do) about it?

The basic issue is credit card companies not reporting a credit limit.

I have a Citi "Platinum Level" AAdantage MasterCard.  "Limit" of $35K, balance of $9K, previous high-balance of $22K.  Perfect payment history (since 1993), have paid it down to $0 several times, etc.  I generally like the card -- use it for business expenses and have added around 50,000 miles per year to my frequent flier account.

But...Citi does not report a credit limit.  It would be great to have that $35K factored in to my debt util as i'm about to buy a new house.  I called Citi and got frustrated -- I'm sure they get this call all of the time but the woman acted like she had never heard of the issue and I gave up.

Has anyone had any luck getting Citi to report your limit?  What are my options and what's the best way to go about this?

Thanks, in advance, for any insight...
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi AAdvantage MasterCard - no limit reported

i think the only options are to convert to a card that reports the limit, close and combine if you have another citi card, or just let it do it's damage.
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did it a couple of weeks ago. My first Citi was also AA MC in 1999, was converted into Diamond Preferred, and last summer, was converted again into World MC with $16,600 CL. I first contacted the number on my card, but the call went to nowhere. I sent an message saying that I would like to convert because it would hurt my credit score, resulting in worse mortgage, blah blah blah, but the call center couldn't handle the conversion or I was on hold for a long time. Then, Citi gave me a direct number to CSR in the US, and finally I was able to get rid of WORLD thing. Last week, I checked my CR, and found 16.6 grand under Citi. Unfortunately, the message was deleted after the conversion, so I can't give you the number. Sorry.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  I will push forward...
Message 4 of 17
bb1000
New Contributor

I love my AAdvantage card, but hate the way it reports. I emailed customer service about removing the "no preset spending limit" aspect of my account, and they said it could be done, but no one at Citi had any ideas on how to do it other than by converting to the Gold AAdvantage card. I converted. By doing so, I only lose the features I don't use anyway: no preset limit, Concierge, lost luggage, etc. I wish the poster from a few posts back kept the number of the CSR he talked to!
Message 5 of 17
bb1000
New Contributor

I should add that the AAdvantage Gold MC (not World MC) card I converted to today showed up immediately on my online account page. It is a gold-colored card. Strangely enough, it is not listed on the citicards.com site as a card that can be applied for.

Message Edited by bb1000 on 03-06-2008 04:48 PM
Message 6 of 17
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Call 1 888 291 4523

Message Edited by ChemGuy on 03-06-2008 05:32 PM
Message 7 of 17
bb1000
New Contributor

Have you gotten rid of the no preset spending limit, chemguy?
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

bb100 -- when you converted from World to the Gold, did your credit limit stay the same?  thanks
Message 9 of 17
bb1000
New Contributor

Yup. All that is different is the new card itself with a different account number and the loss of the "World" services which I don't care about anyway, since they're a dime a dozen now (Concierge, luggage insurance, etc.). Same CL. Post to this thread what you switch to or otherwise accomplish. If I were you, I'd call the number 2 posts above and see what happens.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.