Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AAdvantage MasterCard - no limit reported

tag
DD60
Valued Member

Re: Citi AAdvantage MasterCard - no limit reported

I have called and emailed Citibank more than a dozen times trying to get them to do something about their failure to report my credit limit, and every time I get the canned response that the only way I can get them to report the limit is to switch to a card other than the AAdvantage card.  If I were going to do that, I would switch to a bank other than CitiBank, as well.  I am going to take a shot at calling the number posted on this thread to see if I can finally get it switched to something that reports my cl, while still giving me miles.

Starting Score: 777
Current Score: 854
Goal Score: 900

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have the Citi AA "Bronze Level" and the account does not report Credit Line to the credit bureau. I called and request the account to be reported CL but they can't do it.

I dont know exactly the reason why but part of the reason is because it is a WORLD MASTERCARD. Anytime you have a WORLD MASTERCARD or VISA SIGNATUREon the card, it's an indication of NO PRESET SPENDING LIMIT ACCOUNT. Usually this type of account for high class people..

Since these types of account does not report credit limit, it's best not to use them too much because they only report the balance and it's killing our credit score..

it sucks but true..

Message 12 of 17
DD60
Valued Member

It gets better.  For over fifteen years now (and long before I knew anything about FICO or how it is computed) I have used my Citi AAdvantage VISA Signature card for every purchase where the merchant will take it.  About all I spend off the card is my mortgage, insurance, and vehicle registration.  So, every month, Citi reports a $5,000 or so balance and a $0 cl.  And the FICO folks have no idea that the balance is paid in full a few days later, or that the cl is actually $30k.  I just received my latest VISA bill, and I am expecting a major hit on my FICO score any day now.  I'll let you know how much.

Citi agrees with you: the only way to get a true cl reported is to drop the AAdvantage card.  I like the program too much to do that .  My solution is going to be to transfer funds from my Citi checking to my VISA account every time I use the card, thus keeping the balance down to whatever the purchases of the day might be.  I suppose that will amount to using the credit card as a debit card.  My only problem is that I haven't yet been able to get the checking balance up to the necessary level before loading up the VISA.  maybe next year.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi DD60:

Glad that you know about FICO score better now. For your situation, if you pay in full each month on your Citi AAdvantage then you'll not have any problem but if you don't that's when FICO score will fluctuate and usually it gets lower since when the balance is high and the credit line is not reporting.

I tried to close my Citi AA Bronze account but the person I spoke to doesn't want me to close it, I guess they want my business but I told them the situation about not reporting credit limit on the account. They offer me $25 off on my next couple of statement to keep the account open. So I decided to keep the account open but will not charge much on it, just very little and pay off every month. FICO SCORE is important now and I sure dont want my score to drop because of this account.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue with my Chase Visa Mileage Plus. Initially I thought it was an error, so I contested via the credit bureaus and they reported the "limit that month" and then it went right back to reporting high balance. I contested right when we were about to refi so I think it may have made a difference for the one month that every 10 points in your score counts for something big.

Message 15 of 17
DD60
Valued Member

FWIW, I think I finally have a workable solution.  I switched the closing dates on my cards to the 5th of the month.  When that kicks in I will begin paying the balance on the last day of the month (payday).  If it works, Citi should report a balance of no more than what I charge for a couple of days.  You might consider it if you customarily pay your balance in full every month.

Message 16 of 17
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

In order to get that 35K limit reporting again, you'll have to request a product switch over to a card brand that does report a credit line.  I do believe Citi has an AAdvantage card that does report credit line.

Call and speak to someone more educated than a rep who doesn't know what she's talking about.  Get a supervisor on the phone.  I've been a Citi customer for over 25 years, and have 3 cards that have all been product switched with no problems.  Good luck to you on your home purchase!

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.