Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AAdvantage Mileage Bonus Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi AAdvantage Mileage Bonus Question

Interesting question I had about the Citi AAdvantage card...

Their site states the following

"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had any Citi / AAdvantage card (other than a CitiBusiness / AAdvantage card) opened or closed in the past 24 months."

Right now I have a Citi AAdvantage and I'm debating whether or not to close it. I opened the card back in August 2014 and collected the miles bonus at that time, but have kept the card as they waived the annual fees and offered generous spend bonuses. However, I don't really plan to use the card at all this year since I have the CSR now; if I ever want the signup bonus again I was thinking at first I'd need to close the card ASAP and wait two years. Upon reading I feel there may be another way...

My question is this: If I were to PC my current card to a Double Cash or similar card, then (at some point) re-apply for the Citi AAdvantage, would I qualify for the points? Technically the rules say that they are available unless you open or close a Citi AAdvantage card in the past 24 months. Would a product change be viewed as "closing" the card? For that matter, could I simply just apply for the Executive card and collect that points bonus without doing anything on my Plat Select?

Would be especially curious from anyone who's actually done this... thank you!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi AAdvantage Mileage Bonus Question

They've waived your annual fees? For both years?
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

PCing the card counts as closing it and restarts the 24 months

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. That helps a lot. Not the answer I had hoped for but oh well.

Yes, the first time I called in they offered a $95 statement credit and 1000 bonus miles in every cycle where I spend $1000+ for the next 16 cycles. The second time they just offered the $95 statement credit without any additional bonus. It's notable that I was targeted for category spend bonuses a few times (most recently 3x on gas, groceries, restaurants) which, combined with the 1000 mile promotion, resulted in some nice points hauls.
Message 4 of 7
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Great post. Thanks for asking. I'm considering closing mine as well so that I can restart the clock.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep in mind that if you're outside the 24 months you can apply for another AA card even if you have an existing one.  You can then close the duplicate card after approval.  People have found that it can be beneficial to reduce existing limit(s) if you think you're near maximum exposure with Citi

Message 6 of 7
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Keep in mind that if you're outside the 24 months you can apply for another AA card even if you have an existing one.  You can then close the duplicate card after approval.  People have found that it can be beneficial to reduce existing limit(s) if you think you're near maximum exposure with Citi

Great info, Irish, Thank you.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.