cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite upgrade?

tag
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite upgrade?

I had went online to order a replacement card (these things are cheap and wear out fast) and noticed that my account is showing up as a "Platinum Select World Elite MasterCard" recently as opposed to the "World" it's been since I've had it.

I got the card in May this year.

Is anyone else getting an upgrade? We'll know if it's a WE for sure once the new card comes in 1-3 days (they offered expedited shipping free)

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite upgrade?

About three weeks ago I logged into Citi's website to see a message saying they have sent out a replacement card that I did not request, so I didn't think much about it at the time but once it came, it turned out it was a World Elite upgrade from just the normal World upgrade. Here is my opendate incase this helps, I opened my account with them in Aug of this year and my CL is $4,600 so that kind of surprised me to get World Elite with that CL as I thought it was $5,000 minimum.

Message 2 of 10
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@injustifiiable wrote:

I had went online to order a replacement card (these things are cheap and wear out fast) and noticed that my account is showing up as a "Platinum Select World Elite MasterCard" recently as opposed to the "World" it's been since I've had it.

I got the card in May this year.

Is anyone else getting an upgrade? We'll know if it's a WE for sure once the new card comes in 1-3 days (they offered expedited shipping free)

Funny that you should mention this.

While snooping my Citi card accounts and contemplating hitting up the SP CLI request form today, I too was rather surprised to find my AAdvantage card was showing World Elite and the "Activate Now" link was showing also.

Guess the new card is on the way.

Message 3 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

There are many old threads about this. Citi frequently upgrades AA Platinum cards after a few months.

Keep in mind that unless you actually use the benefits, though, it's just an increase in the swipe fees merchants pay.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

There are many old threads about this. Citi frequently upgrades AA Platinum cards after a few months.

Keep in mind that unless you actually use the benefits, though, it's just an increase in the swipe fees merchants pay.

This is correct and for the most part they upgrade every AA Platinum card.  There used to be a benefit to this for some of us but alas it no longer exists.

Message 5 of 10
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

My AA Plat was a WEMC since day one (06/2015). I didn't know there was any other version.

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 6 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

This is actually a predictable Thing. It's been known for over a year.

Both of my Citi AA cards were issued as WMC. As soon as I met the bonus spend requirement, they sent me a WEMC upgrade. 

It changes the card you have in your wallet, so when you go to Citi again to apply for a "WMC AA card,", it turns out you do not have such a card in your history, so can go for another spend bonus on a new AA card app if you choose.

Thats why I have two such cards.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 10
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Both of my Citi AA cards were issued as WMC. As soon as I met the bonus spend requirement, they sent me a WEMC upgrade. 

It changes the card you have in your wallet, so when you go to Citi again to apply for a "WMC AA card,", it turns out you do not have such a card in your history, so can go for another spend bonus on a new AA card app if you choose.

Interesting point there on the double bonus! I figured the Exec card the only AA WE Citi offered.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

You used to be able to do this, not any longer though.  Can't get any AA bonus, regardless of the card, more than once every 24 months.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate how they do these things. I'm happy you're happy op but all they're doing is getting higher swipe fees.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.