Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi APR Reduction not possible?

tag
selena
Contributor

Citi APR Reduction not possible?

I called a talked to a rep about my application for Citi TYPremier which was approved and was asked if I could lower my APR, the first rep I spoke to transferred me but the call got disconnected. The second rep told me that I would have to wait until I actually received the card and call customer service (I'm assuming she means use the number on the back) as the the application is locked on their end so they can't make those changes. I used the number listed in helpful threads for Citi:CSR but that takes me through automated application status check. Any suggestions?

As of March 2016:
Equifax 735
TransUnion 702
Experian 731
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi APR Reduction not possible?

@selena wrote:

I called a talked to a rep about my application for Citi TYPremier which was approved and was asked if I could lower my APR, the first rep I spoke to transferred me but the call got disconnected. The second rep told me that I would have to wait until I actually received the card and call customer service (I'm assuming she means use the number on the back) as the the application is locked on their end so they can't make those changes. I used the number listed in helpful threads for Citi:CSR but that takes me through automated application status check. Any suggestions?

Wait till you get the card.

Even better if you use it for a few months, such as 3-6 months before asking for an APR reduction. Citi does allow APR reduction via chat and secure message but I believe the card has to be active first.

Edited to add: months, as in 3-6 months.

Message 2 of 8
selena
Contributor

Ok thanks for responding. Is that the case for CLI as well, just for future reference?

As of March 2016:
Equifax 735
TransUnion 702
Experian 731
Message 3 of 8
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@selena wrote:

Ok thanks for responding. Is that the case for CLI as well, just for future reference?

Citi does SP CLIs every 6 months. Sometimes CLI requests may need HP but they'll let you know. If you ask for CLI before 6 months since last CLI, they won't pull your credit; simply deny you and send you a letter stating that the last CLI was less than 6 months old.

Message 4 of 8
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

As soon as you active your card, just chat online. After I activated my Citi AA card, I chatted with them and they reduced my APR from 13.99% to 13.24%

Message 5 of 8
selena
Contributor

Once I get the card activated I'll try the chat option. I can wait on the CLI I'm more concerned about getting that APR reduced so waiting 3-6 months won't be an issue.

As of March 2016:
Equifax 735
TransUnion 702
Experian 731
Message 6 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

@selena wrote:

Once I get the card activated I'll try the chat option. I can wait on the CLI I'm more concerned about getting that APR reduced so waiting 3-6 months won't be an issue.

What is the APR and CL that you got?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 8
selena
Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@selena wrote:

What is the APR and CL that you got?

20.99 and 5900. I know it's not much and I had hoped to be approved for more with a lower APR as I've recieved better offers from them than this in the mail just not for this card.

As of March 2016:
Equifax 735
TransUnion 702
Experian 731
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.