Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Aadvantage card....is it worth it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Aadvantage card....is it worth it?

I keep getting mailings for the Citi Aadvantage gold card. It's not a preapproval but a pre-approval to apply. I have not opened a card in 7 months and this one has my attention. I get really confused on the miles and how they work. I have the Chase Southwest card and have enough points on it for 4 flights which I have been banking for 2 years now. After I use those flights next summer, I will be closing the card. I've never flew with SW before but don't like what I read about how they seat you. So I want another airline card and I have always been loyal to US Air. I'm not interested in anything with Barclay. This mailing I get is for a year of the fee waived and 50,000 points. Can anyone tell me what that amounts to as far as an airline ticket? I'm not looking for any international flights. Also, is a preapproval to apply any better of a chance then just applying with no letter? Thanks
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Aadvantage card....is it worth it?

@Anonymous wrote:
I keep getting mailings for the Citi Aadvantage gold card. It's not a preapproval but a pre-approval to apply. I have not opened a card in 7 months and this one has my attention. I get really confused on the miles and how they work. I have the Chase Southwest card and have enough points on it for 4 flights which I have been banking for 2 years now. After I use those flights next summer, I will be closing the card. I've never flew with SW before but don't like what I read about how they seat you. So I want another airline card and I have always been loyal to US Air. I'm not interested in anything with Barclay. This mailing I get is for a year of the fee waived and 50,000 points. Can anyone tell me what that amounts to as far as an airline ticket? I'm not looking for any international flights. Also, is a preapproval to apply any better of a chance then just applying with no letter? Thanks

Unless the mailer includes a specific APR, it doesn't mean a thing in terms of your chances of being approved.

50K miles is enough for a round trip in continental U.S. in business/first or two round trips in economy seating.  Of course this is for USAir and AA flights.

Just as an aside,  You mention that you're not interested in anything with Barclays.  Doesn't matter anymore as you no longer can apply for any mileage card for USAir or AA with them.

Message 2 of 11
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

If you travel or would like to travel yes it is worth it.
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 3 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

50k is also enough for a one way business milesaaver award.
Message 4 of 11
medo
Frequent Contributor

OP, have you looked into the Chase Sapphire Preferred?  It provides a lot of diversity and earns you more per dollar than any airline card.  I know you said you don't like SWA, but they do have United as well as some other international carriers like BA which you can use Avios points to book with Delta and other US carriers.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no specific apr. Just the 0% interest for 14 months. Then it varies upon approval.

I have the CSP already and I use that one basically for hotels. I'm wanting a deal where I get many points to start me off. I juggle all my cards around each month to collect different points.

My credit score is around 723, 5 hp's in the last 2 years. Utility is less than 20% I have citi Simplicity, citi diamond and the Citi Shell card. Would I be able to add another? I also have no baddies. What do y'all think my chances would be? I must be somewhere on their radar to get this offer right? I'm waiting to apply next week because I am up for my 3x cli with Amex on Friday.

Thanks for y'alls input. Sorry I can't tag you individually but I'm on my cell Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
There is no specific apr. Just the 0% interest for 14 months. Then it varies upon approval.

I have the CSP already and I use that one basically for hotels. I'm wanting a deal where I get many points to start me off. I juggle all my cards around each month to collect different points.

My credit score is around 723, 5 hp's in the last 2 years. Utility is less than 20% I have citi Simplicity, citi diamond and the Citi Shell card. Would I be able to add another? I also have no baddies. What do y'all think my chances would be? I must be somewhere on their radar to get this offer right? I'm waiting to apply next week because I am up for my 3x cli with Amex on Friday.

Thanks for y'alls input. Sorry I can't tag you individually but I'm on my cell Smiley Happy

From the info provided your chances are good that you'll be approved but please don't infer anything from the 'offer'.  It means nothing in regards to your chances for approval.  It's purely a marketing mailer sent to millions of people..  There are several airline credit cards that offer large starting mileage bonuses.  The main question you need to answer is do you now or plan to fly AA?  If not then you should look at other options.

Message 7 of 11
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The Citi Prestige is all the rage right now Smiley Wink

Nah but honestly, I'm with Irish in that I don't see it being worthwhile for you right now - unless you want/need AA miles.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 8 of 11
AeroKrix
Frequent Contributor

Although the CSP have a higher redemption rate than most Airline branded Cc's... The perks that come with the card are quite valuable. My Barclay AA gives free checked bag, up to 4, which saves $200 on a round trip flight. Priority check in and boarding. With flights being sold to capacity, there has been many instances where I had to check in my carry on due to space, all because my boarding was last. Priority boarding cancels that from ever happening on AA. However, the Citi AA Gold do not have these perks. I would either app for the platinum select or wait till your chances for approval on the platinum increase. The Citi AA Gold is lackluster in perks.

Current 09/01/2021 EQ - 515 FAKO ; EX - 591 FICO ; TU - 598 FICO

Venmo CC $5.0K || Paypal Cashback CC $2.0K || Walmart CC $3.0K || CapOne QS1 $700 || CapOne QS $800 || Mission Lane $1.5K || Merrick $1.0K || AMEX Optima $500
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you regularly fly either AA or US Air, go ahead and get it. The free bag alone can save one person $50 per trip

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.