Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Account Compromised...New Account Number

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Account Compromised...New Account Number

Hi All...

I searched the archives but really didn't see any definite answers.  I checked my Citi Forward account online yesterday and an alert came up letting me know that once I receive my new card ending in XXXX my current account will be closed.  Since I have not made any changes to my account I immediately called CS last night and they explained to me that my account may have been compromised and they will be closing that account and issuing a new card number.  I had no fraudulent charges on my card and he told me this was just a precautionary measure.  My question is how will this be reported on my credit report?  Will it show as a closed account and then another new account? Will my payment history, usage, balance, and rewards just transfer over? I am thinking about calling back today as I made a payment on this account just two days ago and don't know if it will post / transfer.

Thanks for all your help...You guys are great!!!!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Account Compromised...New Account Number

Yes it will be a completely new account but backdated to the original card date and everything should just carry over. Your old account will be closed and say "lost or stolen card" but closed in good standing. I read somewhere that this is treated as a completely separate card as far as AAoA and # of accounts goes.

Message 2 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All...

I searched the archives but really didn't see any definite answers.  I checked my Citi Forward account online yesterday and an alert came up letting me know that once I receive my new card ending in XXXX my current account will be closed.  Since I have not made any changes to my account I immediately called CS last night and they explained to me that my account may have been compromised and they will be closing that account and issuing a new card number.  I had no fraudulent charges on my card and he told me this was just a precautionary measure.  My question is how will this be reported on my credit report?  Will it show as a closed account and then another new account? Will my payment history, usage, balance, and rewards just transfer over? I am thinking about calling back today as I made a payment on this account just two days ago and don't know if it will post / transfer.

Thanks for all your help...You guys are great!!!!

It shouldn't make any difference at all, except a new number reporting.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes it will be a completely new account but backdated to the original card date and everything should just carry over. Your old account will be closed and say "lost or stolen card" but closed in good standing. I read somewhere that this is treated as a completely separate card as far as AAoA and # of accounts goes.

So your going to have 2 TL's reporting with different numbers and same history???

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So your going to have 2 TL's reporting with different numbers and same history???

OK I just looked at my credit report b/c this happened to me in the past. Yes you will have 2 accounts reporting with the same information. The closed account will say card lost or stolen.

Message 5 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OK I just looked at my credit report b/c this happened to me in the past. Yes you will have 2 accounts reporting with the same information. The closed account will say card lost or stolen.

Wow, I guess my Cap1 card TL will look like this.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 17
CS800
Super Contributor

A colleague of mine has the simplicity and in December he got a call from citi telling him his card was compromised. They overnighted a new card to him.

Message 7 of 17
drkaje
Senior Contributor

My girlfriend's has been compromised through iTunes. They gave her a new one pretty quickly!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 17
dharalex
Established Contributor

I got a Citi thank you in Sept. That same month, I thought I lost it at work, so I cancelled it. They quickly sent me another. Although the account remains online with my new card, my credit report only shows 1 TL. There is no 2nd TL. There is no mention of lost or stolen, etc. I do have that for a BOA acct, but not Citi.

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 9 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@dharalex wrote:
I got a Citi thank you in Sept. That same month, I thought I lost it at work, so I cancelled it. They quickly sent me another. Although the account remains online with my new card, my credit report only shows 1 TL. There is no 2nd TL. There is no mention of lost or stolen, etc. I do have that for a BOA acct, but not Citi.

Hmm....

May be how the issuer reports it?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.