Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi/BOA question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi/BOA question

I have been working on cleaning up my credit for years now.  Finally have a clean report (on all 3)...and a credit score of ~ 750 fako (I haven't pulled my fico lately, but the last time I did it was 730 w/ a baddie still on my report).  I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and try my luck on a Citi Forward card.  I currently have a Macy's card, Victoria Secret - $820, a BOA card $800 and I'm an AU on my husbands Capital One $10,000.  All cards currently have a 0 balance.  If accepted for the Citi card, I'd like to get a decent credit limit.  My question is...Would I be better off trying to get a CLI on my BOA card before I apply for the Citi card?  Is it even worth my time?  Are they still dropping customers?   This card started as a secured card back in 08 and I got a $300 increase upon unsecuring....other than that, I haven't even tried.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi/BOA question

I've gotten two CLIs (always soft pull with BoA) since June on my BofA card, from $700 to $2,500.

I would try that, and regardless of what you get, then go for the Forward.  You'll likely get a $1k+ limit.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 2 of 7
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

Me and my mother just applied for citi cards and got decent limits. My score is listed below and my mother is a hair under 800.  

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hit the luv button on my BOA account.  Didn't fill in an amount.  Got the "Call a credit rep for an instant decision" message.  Didn't bother calling...guess I'm too afraid of what they may say? 

Message 4 of 7
jefftca925
Established Contributor

I hit the "luv" button on my BofA Amex account back in August (I think) and I got the same message "Call for Instant Decision".  I didn't call and I don't remeber if they called either.  Two days later my limit was increased by 3k to 10k.  I PIF every month and I use it often.  Citi increased my Plat Select MC last month but you have to call in to do it.  It was really painless and they were very pleasant to deal with.  I've been happy with both banks.  As for Chase, I haven't had such luck with as I do not want a HP for a CLI.  None of my limits have budged since they were opened almost 3 years ago.  But I like the rewards I get on them so they get used a lot.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 5 of 7
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hit the luv button on my BOA account.  Didn't fill in an amount.  Got the "Call a credit rep for an instant decision" message.  Didn't bother calling...guess I'm too afraid of what they may say? 

The message is normally a good indication of CLI approval. BofA will ask for some personal informations that's all.

By the way, asking for a CLI will not affect your Citi application. Why? Because BofA CLI are soft pulls, so you'll be pretty safe getting approved for the "Forward".

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well after a few days of not hearing from BOA, I finally got a call from them last night.  The lady on the phone said they had a few questions for me.  Then proceeded to ask me; why I wanted the increase, where I work, what my income is, what my husbands income is and what he does, if we rent or own, how much is the payment, exactly how much in savings I have and what type of investments do we have.  Then she put me on hold for 5 minutes, came back and said that they'll make my credit limit 1500.  Took about 1/2 hour from start to finish, but at least I got the increase.  Was hoping for more, but...I'll take it. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.