Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Balance Transfer

tag
praise123
Contributor

Citi Balance Transfer

How does balance transfer work? I was thinking about transferring to my Citicard a balance because it is low interest. Can you transfer more than your credit limit on the citi card
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
BornSupercharged
New Contributor

Re: Citi Balance Transfer

Normally no CCC will allow you to balance transfer from one account with them to anotherwith them (i.e. Chase  to Chase will not be approved) - I know for a fact Chase does not permit this. So I'll assume you mean you have a balance on a Citi card and you want to open a card with a different CCC and transfer your Citi balance over. 

The maximum amount you can balance transfer, is going to be the Credit Limit of the new card you open. So if you have a Citi card with 10k debt, and you open a new card at 0% interest for 12 months but it's Credit Limit is 5k, then you can only move $5k minus 3-5% (depending on the balance transfer fee, some cards are free but its rare) over. Some places like USAA only permit 95% of the total credit limit to be used for balance transfers. Others, like NFCU, give you $0 bt fee and 0% for 12mo and let you completely max out the credit limit of your card with them. 

How a balance transfer works is, you open a card, you give them the Citi cards account number, then they send Citi the amount you requested and they put a balance transfer transaction on your new card, plus any fees if applicable. It's pretty easy to do, just have to be patient because it can take anywhere from 2-3 days, to 2-3 weeks. USAA new cards have a 2 week waiting period before they will start the balance transfer - so be sure to ask whenever you're doing the balance transfer to see how long it will take. Best of luck!

Message 2 of 6
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Citi will BT to one's personal checking account as well.

AFAIK, companies will not allow balance transferring above credit limits.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
iloverewards
Valued Member

Recently did a BT w/ Citi where they sent the amt to my checking account (with a dfiferent bank).  I got the money in a couple of days.  The CSR told me this is the fastest way to get the money. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred | Freedom | IHG Rewards Club
Citi Dividend | Simplicity | AAdvantage
Discover It
Capital One Quicksilver
Amex Blue Cash
Barclay Arrival | NFL Extra Points
Bank of America Better Balance Rewards
US Bank Platinum Visa
Message 4 of 6
praise123
Contributor

I want to transfer Chase balance to citi card
Message 5 of 6
BornSupercharged
New Contributor

@praise123 wrote:
I want to transfer Chase balance to citi card

What is the limit on the Citi card, and what is the amount you want to transfer from the Chase card?

You would just need to call Citi up and give them the Chase card number and they'll initiate the balance transfer for you.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.