Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi CC Options???

tag
remarc
Regular Contributor

Citi CC Options???

Hey Everyone. So i have a Citi Platinum Select card, It has a $1500 limit on it. currently im holding 75 % of that limit with a BT. 0% until August of 2013. I still use the card and have racked up a few points by putting about $6000 though the card in 6 months. However the rewards suck.. I really dont like anything they have to offer.

Question is this.. Is it possible to change the card? If so what would be the best rewards card to choose? Im after Cashback or miles. What are the requirments of changing your card?? 

My fico scores are all in the mid to upper 600's . Im paying off all my balances by the end of this year except the citi card which i will bring down to below 30% - i ran the fico "What if simulator" and if all balances are paid and paid on time within the next 3 months it shows my score can jump up to 710 to 725

can i have your advice on the best way to approach this please guys??

cheers

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
djrez4
Established Contributor

Re: Citi CC Options???

Personally, I think all of Citi's cards suck.  The AA cards are good for travel hackers.  That's it.  TY points are worth less than $0.01 unless you redeem for airfare.  If you can get a % of cash back, go for it.  

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@remarc wrote:

Hey Everyone. So i have a Citi Platinum Select card, It has a $1500 limit on it. currently im holding 75 % of that limit with a BT. 0% until August of 2013. I still use the card and have racked up a few points by putting about $6000 though the card in 6 months. However the rewards suck.. I really dont like anything they have to offer.

Question is this.. Is it possible to change the card? If so what would be the best rewards card to choose? Im after Cashback or miles. What are the requirments of changing your card?? 

My fico scores are all in the mid to upper 600's . Im paying off all my balances by the end of this year except the citi card which i will bring down to below 30% - i ran the fico "What if simulator" and if all balances are paid and paid on time within the next 3 months it shows my score can jump up to 710 to 725

cheers

@how about the Citi Dividend Platinum Select Visa Card?  There is no AF and $150 CB in the first 3 months if you spend only $500 in those first 3 months.  You can earn up to $300 CB every year for purchases @ 1% CB.  Plus, rotating 5% CB catagories.  Plus, shop thru Citi's dedicated Shoping site and earn up to an ADDITIONAL  5% back ON TOP of the already 1-5% CB you are already getting.

Plus, the roating 5% CB catagoies and the ADDITIONAL  5% back ON TOP of the already 1-5% CB you are already getting thru Citi's dedicated Shoping site are UNCAPPED and to don't count towards your $300 CB max.  So you could earn more than $300 every year.  Oh and also the $150 CB in the first 3 months bouns, also doesn't count towards the $300 CB max.

....BUT..... all the "cool" kids like Amex with AFs and not being accepted every where  hahahahahahahaha!  Or Discover which also isn't accepted everywhere.

....Where I from, the "cool" kids, pay no AF and cards that are accepted everywhere...aka.  Visa or MC.

I say go with the Citi Dividend Platinum Select Visa Card.

Message 3 of 14
asteroidblues86
Regular Contributor

@djrez4 wrote:

Personally, I think all of Citi's cards suck.  The AA cards are good for travel hackers.  That's it.  TY points are worth less than $0.01 unless you redeem for airfare.  If you can get a % of cash back, go for it.  

I disagree. Depending on what card you have and how you use the points they can be worth more than $0.01. For example, with my Thank you preferred card I can redeem 4,500 points for a $50 Best Buy gift card.

Message 4 of 14
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@remarc wrote:

cheers

How about the Citi Dividend Platinum Select Visa Card? @ There is no AF and $150 CB in the first 3 months if you spend only $500 in those first 3 months.  You can earn up to $300 CB every year for purchases @ 1% CB.  Plus, rotating 5% CB catagories.  Plus, shop thru Citi's dedicated Shoping site and earn up to an ADDITIONAL  5% back ON TOP of the already 1-5% CB you are already getting.

Plus, the roating 5% CB catagoies and the ADDITIONAL  5% back ON TOP of the already 1-5% CB you are already getting thru Citi's dedicated Shoping site are UNCAPPED and to don't count towards your $300 CB max.  So you could earn more than $300 every year.  Oh and also the $150 CB in the first 3 months bouns, also doesn't count towards the $300 CB max.

....BUT..... all the "cool" kids like Amex with AFs and not being accepted every where  hahahahahahahaha!  Or Discover which also isn't accepted everywhere.

....Where I from, the "cool" kids, pay no AF and cards that are accepted everywhere...aka.  Visa or MC.

I believe this is the card that OP already has.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 14
asteroidblues86
Regular Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@remarc wrote:

cheers

How about the Citi Dividend Platinum Select Visa Card? @ There is no AF and $150 CB in the first 3 months if you spend only $500 in those first 3 months.  You can earn up to $300 CB every year for purchases @ 1% CB.  Plus, rotating 5% CB catagories.  Plus, shop thru Citi's dedicated Shoping site and earn up to an ADDITIONAL  5% back ON TOP of the already 1-5% CB you are already getting.

No those are two different cards. One earns cash the other earns worthless "extra cash" points.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bichonmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@remarc wrote:

cheers

Citi Dividend Platinum Select Visa Card  and the Citi Platinum Select card = two different cards.

Dividend gives CB.  not points like the OP indicated.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@asteroidblues86 wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@remarc wrote:

cheers

No those are two different cards. One earns cash the other earns worthless "extra cash" points.

+1

Message 8 of 14
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

I had the same exact card for about 8months before requesting a PC. I went to the Thank You card. Other posts about Citi rewards sucking are pretty accurate, especially when compared to cards like the Freedom. However, when cashing in for gift cards, you get a pretty good conversion rate. You can also use your points to pay off student loans Smiley Happy

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 9 of 14
djrez4
Established Contributor

I take part of what I said back - the Dividend Platinum Select looks reasonably unsucky.

But, I stand by my statement that TY points suck.  Who shops at Best Buy?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.