Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi CLI HP or SP?

tag
irrational
Frequent Contributor

Citi CLI HP or SP?

I've read that Citi's CLI are usual SPs, however if I go online and click on the option to request a CLI I'm presented with this message:

It's easy to find out if you qualify for a credit limit increase. By clicking "Continue" you understand that we will obtain a credit bureau report to evaluate your request. Our credit department will review your request within 24 hours.

To me that sounds like they'd perform a HP. Thoughts?

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
cutemarty1
Regular Contributor

Re: Citi CLI HP or SP?

@irrational wrote:

I've read that Citi's CLI are usual SPs, however if I go online and click on the option to request a CLI I'm presented with this message:

It's easy to find out if you qualify for a credit limit increase. By clicking "Continue" you understand that we will obtain a credit bureau report to evaluate your request. Our credit department will review your request within 24 hours.

In my experience, the next page will either offer you an instant increase (if you are qualified at that time) via a SP, or be given the option of obtain a credit report which will be a HP if not qualified at that time.

My TL : Discover 45k / Venture 39k / BCE AMEX 33k / BoA123 Sig 24k / WF propel 17k/ Home Depot 16.5 K / Barclays Arrival WEMC 15k / Citi World WEMC 16.5k / CU Visa 11k/ Nordstrom Visa 20K / penfed rewards visa 20k / Citi AA 16.5k / spark business 15k/ Chase ink business 15k/ delta Amex platinum 14k/ boa rewards 7k /Macy Store 5.3K / Best buy 2.4K / BBRZ Gold 1.4K / PNC 20k / AppleCard 40k/ citi premier 12.7k / chase Amazon 7k
Message 2 of 10
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@cutemarty1 wrote:

@irrational wrote:

In my experience, the next page will either offer you an instant increase (if you are qualified at that time) via a SP, or be given the option of obtain a credit report which will be a HP if not qualified at that time.

I typically see this message: "It's easy to find out if you qualify for a credit limit increase. A credit bureau report will not be requested and you will receive an instant decision."

So far, all my CLI requests have been replied to with SPs, whether they were approved or declined. I would not take the chance with the HP if it specifically doesn't say so.

For Discover, they use something like "a credit report may be obtained" and they say in the second step if they need the report or not. 

Message 3 of 10
kawaiiguy
Established Member

I typically see this message: "It's easy to find out if you qualify for a credit limit increase. A credit bureau report will not be requested and you will receive an instant decision."

So far, all my CLI requests have been replied to with SPs, whether they were approved or declined. I would not take the chance with the HP if it specifically doesn't say so.

For Discover, they use something like "a credit report may be obtained" and they say in the second step if they need the report or not. 

I also see this message for my Simplicity & Diamond Preferred cards, however on my Sears store card I see the originator's message.  I have used the luv button on my Simplicity and Diamond several times without HP resulting, on my Sears tho it def does the HP.  So I would suppose even tho the site looks very much the same it is product dependent.

Message 4 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@irrational wrote:

If it is giving you the option to fill in how much you want to request it will be a hp, if it's a sp cli check they don't ask how much you want it just spits back.

If you decide to move forward with the CLI, it will be HP to TU and I would request $25k, usually takes them an hour or so and you can log in and just see the counter or new full cl Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
irrational
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, that's what I was fearing.

Not going to waste a HP on my Dividend card, I only use it to pay my electric bill each month (except when they do 5% back at drug stores Smiley Very Happy)... the $9,400 limit I currently have is sufficient.

If I'm going to spend HPs on CLIs, it's my Discover that really needs the LUV.

Thanks all!

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 6 of 10
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

Can someone tell me were the citi luv button is?

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 7 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

Account management I believe it's called.

credit line increase

Message 8 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

Under Account Management tab

edit: CreditAddict beat me to it. 

Message 9 of 10
kawaiiguy
Established Member

Personally I just use this link since it takes you right to the request after you log in and there is a simple drop down to jump between multiple accounts...

https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/LoginGet.do?NEXT_SCREEN=/ICLI&siteId=CB&cmp=EMC~01~121001~CA...

I check via this link every 6 months, my simplicity and diamond preferred are both soft pulls when I do it.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.